A&E show: HEAVY

You're on Page 8 of 8
Go to
  • he may have to keep saying it because there is a denial stage or time or whatever. They hear it from family, and maybe the doc saying it will really bring it home. You see how they eat at the table sometimes, it's difficult to say no when the family is eating pancakes and and syrup.

They need the reinforcement of those words cause they don't get it at home.
  • Quote: he may have to keep saying it because there is a denial stage or time or whatever. They hear it from family, and maybe the doc saying it will really bring it home. You see how they eat at the table sometimes, it's difficult to say no when the family is eating pancakes and and syrup.

They need the reinforcement of those words cause they don't get it at home.
    I can't imagine not accommodating someone in my household if they needed to change their diet in some way. I just feel like it's so cruel for families to just say "well, that's YOUR problem" and go on their merry way. If I had an alcoholic in my household I most certainly would not buy alcohol or have a few drinks with dinner. It's a family affair.
  • I like the show but hate it at the same time because it makes it look impossible to lose weight unless you have 8 to 13 hours a day to work out, and a personal trainer. If I hadnt already lost 73 pounds in just 4 months on just eating healthy that show would have for sure made me feel even more that it was impossible to lose weight. You dont need to puke and nearly die of exhaustion to lose weight. Ive lost this much this fast on basing my weight loss on healthy eating alone not working out. I just do little exercise (not even daily) and mostly just daily activities. I actually wrote a blog entry about all this and the show.
  • Quote: Every time the doc tells them that they have to lose weight... I feel like throwing my chair at him.
    I feel exactly the same way. Everyone needs a reality check as well as compassion - but this guy seems totally disinterested. Really, was he the best they could find?

Jodi, simply put - you rock.

I really enjoyed the show, well still am enjoying it. I find it very inspiring.
  • I disagree about the doctor. I like him. He has a frank, even manner that isn't accusatory but is still very firm about what needs to be done. If more doctors were like him maybe less people would be overweight or obese. It's such a touchy issue and one that a lot of doctors don't discuss. I'm a medical professional and have been seeing the same primary medical doctor for over 5 years and she has never once mentioned my weight and the possible health ramifications.
    Maybe it's because I don't have diabetes or hypertension or any other obesity-related disease. But why wait until then to mention it? Because people are sensitive about their weight.
    It is a measurement like anything else. A doctor should be no more hesitant to say someone needs to lose weight than to say your blood sugar needs to come down or your blood pressure needs to be in a healthy range. If I wasn't shielded for so long maybe I wouldn't have such a skewed body image (I still don't think I'm *that* big, but who am I kidding? I'm obese!).

I love the show but I don't like the editing and I especially don't like the way the females bare their midsections with disgust in the beginning. Some of it is, well, exploitative. I just watched last week's episode today. I have to say: Flor is my hero!
  • I'm loving this show, I just wish some of the contestants weren't quite so heavy. I want to see someone start at my weight is what I want to see! haha
  • is the show still on? I stopped watching it. I didn't like the two camps or the new trainers. lost interest .