A&E show: HEAVY

You're on Page 7 of 8
Go to
  • I know, that's not cool. they are really hurting.
  • Editing sucks!!!!
    The worst part of all of this is, nobody got to see how much FUN we had while at that resort for the 30 days!
    Editors were so busy trying to focus on me being emotional, that they missed out on WHY I was so emotional most of the time. I, as well as some of the others, was completely overwhelmed with everything in the first week we were there. I was using muscles that hadnt been used in over 20 years!!!! I had to get used to it all before it got better, and it so did! I learned to totally enjoy working out!!! And my relationship with Britny was only rocky in the first few days, we are extremely close now and talk every day!
    It really makes me sad as I continue to watch each week, everyone else's episode. I realy feel a bit betrayed in a lot of ways by how I was shown. I have no regrest, and completely own all of my baggage and leave NO room for denial at all.
    I certainly never wouldve agreed to have my shiney hiney on national tv in some busted up polka dotted panties if I wasnt seriously ready to commit to change! LOL
    Sorry...rantin on a roll again!!!
  • Jodi,

For what it's worth, you did shine through the drama-tacular editing. Anyone who wonders why people cry when they push themselves that hard, well...it's like wondering why they sweat. It's natural to suffer some system shock, I should think! Lord knows I cry on my "hamster wheel" some days, and I wasn't being pushed nearly as hard as you were. (It alarms my husband so much; I don't think he'll ever get used to it. )

It did actually look like fun there, and I'm glad you (mostly) enjoyed it in addition to taking away so very much good from it.

You are spectacular, girl! Keep on keepin' on, and I'm really glad you're here.
  • I had the same question as Aunty Jam - with all that working out (even without it!) 700 calories is not enough. You WON'T lose if you eat that little. I've heard you should never go under 1100 cals. a day and don't forget if you are heavier you burn even more calories a day as a baseline. Can you have some metabolic testing done, to find out how many calories you burn in an average day? To lose 1 lb. a week eat 500 less, to lose 2 lbs. eat 1000 less. But you probably already know that.
  • I've been catching these on our Comcast On Demand service. Really like the show! And how exciting that one of the people is right here in our little forum.

Jodi, I think you came across as a really funny person...a dry sense of humor, very witty. I was so glad to see you back to singing with the band by the end of the episode. Hope that keeps up, and all is going smooth (considering) with your mom and husband. Oh, and you looked soooo different by the end, really fantastic!!! When watching, we were so surprised at how much healthier/happier the participants start to look right away - even before the huge loses. Must be all that working out gets the blood circulating? Everyone just started to get a really healthy glow part of the way through...

The show is definitely inspiring me and my fiancee to get more serious about our healthy living plans...he's been watching the episodes with me. Thank you!
  • I like this show too. I watch both Biggest Loser and Heavy for the sole reason of connecting with others who are trying to do what I am doing. I still find it inspirational that people who once would have been given up on are given a chance to change their life around.

I think Heavy deals more directly with how life issues make losing weight harder and at the same time easier to fall back on the old ways of coping.

I wish you the best and I hope to see you someday out there rockin it to the rest of the world!
  • i love this show!! i too would like to see a 'where are they now'. i like how the show gives a more realistic view of what it's like to try to lose, get back into exercise when you either have never done that or in a long time. i really like how they have concise episodes for each person. i think they talk too much about the emotional things because not every person is overweight due to emotions. or maybe they just picked certain contestants who they thought would fit that mold.
  • I haven't been a fan of the physician in this show...
    Maybe it is the way he is edited, but he seems so apathetic to the patients' situations.
  • I agree about the editing. I was on a TV show in 2004 and the editing they did was ridiculous. If I had known the way they would hack the show apart, I would have never done it.

Everything now is for audience entertainment and real life is quite boring. They have to do something to spice it up or no one would watch.
  • At first I was a little "meh" about it. A&E shows are heavily edited (those lame Intervention commericals...'Will he save himself'? Come on) but I watched it and liked it. It definitely seems...different from other weight loss tv shows that I've seen and it's definitely on more of the extreme side. I wish they did more of a check-up though, like a half a year later or something longer than they do already. But other than that I like it.
  • I AGREE ^^! I love A&E's Heavy and MTV's I used to be FAT! I'm kinda diggin MTV's show a little better because they seem to follow the people closer to goal weight. Heavy just gives their contestants their start, but doesn't seem to follow them (at least to healthy BMI). No follow up, which leaves me wondering if they will really stick with it without all the cameras and lights on them....I sure hope they do...watching them sweat it out and persevere in very inspiring...(***warning***major run-on sentence alert***)
  • Every time the doc tells them that they have to lose weight... I feel like throwing my chair at him.
  • Way to go Quail!
    I am a Hoarders junkie and just happened to catch Heavy after Intervention. I love it. It definately does not glamorize the process like a game show or so called reality show. You really get a look at all the pieces that feed into obesity and the behaviors that go with it.
  • Quote: I AGREE ^^! I love A&E's Heavy and MTV's I used to be FAT! I'm kinda diggin MTV's show a little better because they seem to follow the people closer to goal weight. Heavy just gives their contestants their start, but doesn't seem to follow them (at least to healthy BMI). No follow up, which leaves me wondering if they will really stick with it without all the cameras and lights on them....I sure hope they do...watching them sweat it out and persevere in very inspiring...(***warning***major run-on sentence alert***)
    You know, I completely agree with this right down to the warning. Just kidding. This is why I'm hoping they do a follow up to heavy. I want to see them succeed all the way to goal. The MTV show doesn't always bring them to goal, but they do a three month follow up at the end and sometimes they're at goal at that point.

I loved the most recent episode with Kirsten...her dad was awesome! (I Used To Be Fat episode)
  • Quote: Every time the doc tells them that they have to lose weight... I feel like throwing my chair at him.
    Ditto! Does he truly think that they don't know that?? They have all just signed up to do one the hardest things in their lives, and to do it on international television at that - what a doofus.