A&E show: HEAVY

You're on Page 6 of 8
Go to
  • I watched it too and I loved it.

And stacygee, I was thinking the same thing!!
  • Wow that was great...I just watched it online! The before and afters were so dramatic...what a difference, how wonderful. Jodi, great job, you are looking awesome!
  • Day Late and a Dollar Short!!!
    HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!!

A thousand apologies for the delayed response to all of your beautiful, inspiring comments!
    Ive been a bit overwhelmed since the airing of the show, to say the least. Ive been quite busy, and recently took a hiatus from my life in general. lol
    No cell phone or computer for a week. I needed some down time.
    I would like to let you all know how much your encouraging words mean to me. I have to reiterate how that motivation fuels me in my every day struggles. I spent most of my life wishing I had a group of friends who truly understood what I was feeling, and I now feel that I have a whole world of friends to relate to!

I would also like to take this opportunity to let you all know that i did NOT cry as much as they portrayed me to! LOL
    Editing is an evil, wicked thing Ive learned! lol I was so disappointed because I felt my quick wit and sense of humor didnt shine thru as much as my emotionally unbalanced insanity did! lol
    Trust me, I was really funny!!!!! Tom and I had excellent banter, so hopefully somebody could tell.

As for the over all outcome of the show, i cant say I have any regrets at all. I made a promise to myself when I started this, that I was going to be 100% real, and I feel I was. I didnt sacrifice myself or my integrity in anyway to conform to expectations. I am VERY proud of myself and my accomplishments.
    That being said, I want to be sure everyone knows that I am, by no means, "fixed", or done. This tv show was simply the kick start I needed to get my life back. I am in the gym 5 days a week with a trainer, eating about 1200 calories or less a day, and trying to surround myself with positivity as much as I can.

I am looking forward to becoming more active on the site, and hoping to find some accountability buddies in the process!
  • Quote: I am looking forward to becoming more active on the site, and hoping to find some accountability buddies in the process!
    I'm glad! This place is so full of great motivational, inspirational and educational information it is unbelievable. If you do stick around, you'll find hugs when you need them and kicks in the rear when you need those too. I'm particularly fond of the 100 pound club myself. Everyone there has been there done that or are at least extremely supportive of those us going through it.

Your light definitely shone through. And I think you were very wise to take a media break! LOL! I don't know how I would have done it. I bet you now have a million friends you didn't know you had.
  • Welcome back Jodi. We need you. I just weighed myself and see now weight changes.

did you have weeks when you ate what you were suppose to, been in the gym and still not lose anything?

is the 1200 calorie a lot less then you used to eat?

How did they determine 1200 was a good number for you?
  • I missed this show, but was able to catch it through On Demand on my cable (Comcast). I only watched the first episode (jodi's), but I think I'll watch future episodes as well. It did seem more realistic than TBL, especially since we got to follow the people home and see that they had real lives, real issues, and had to balance it all just like the rest of us.

Jodi--Thanks so much for sharing! I loved watching that little bit of your journey (though I realize it was highly edited!). Yes, they did show lots of tears, but also lots of your strong personality, determination, and love of your family came through. I know you can keep it going. It won't always be easy, but keep putting the effort into it. You are worth it! I hope you won't be a stranger to these boards. I'd love to keep tabs on your progress and support one another on our journeys.
  • @Annie Drews
    I can see your point, but the way I see it is that they choose to be on these shows to be an inspiration to people who are in the same situation as they are.
    I've been watching Heavy. Much more realistic and inspiring than Biggest Loser. I watch BL sometimes, but not my favorite show. It was exciting at first, but now I don't feel it's so realistic because the contestant have it a lot easier than people who don't live at that ranch. They don't see fast food restaurants, they don't have family events where a lot of bad food is served, etc. Heavy does have a certain time where the individuals are at this fitness center place, but they also show their life after they leave that place.
  • Quote: Welcome back Jodi. We need you. I just weighed myself and see now weight changes.

did you have weeks when you ate what you were suppose to, been in the gym and still not lose anything?

is the 1200 calorie a lot less then you used to eat?

How did they determine 1200 was a good number for you?

Considering the pint of Haagen Dasz ice cream, I so frequently LOVED to indulge in has about 2300 calories in it, Id say yeah, 1200 is WAY more than I was used to taking in! lol

PLEASE know, that there have been MANY times I have stepped on that scale and wanted to literally kick it to the moon, crawl into my bed and die there! I have had weeks when I know I have eaten as little as 700 calories a day, worked out 3 hours a day for a straight week and lost 1 lb!!!!!!!!

The hardest part, is learning that the scale does NOT dictate your own personal happiness and growth! I lost WAY more inches than pounds, and quite frankly, Im really happy about that!

Its hard. It hurts. You WILL suffer. You WILL still feel hungry. You WILL still want to binge on sugar and other crap you know you dont need. But it is NOT impossible! I will say it till Im blue in the face, If youre not fighting for it, it isnt worth having!!!
    There is NO greater feeling in this world than going to put on a pair of jeans, that 3 months prior, you had to pull the zipper up with a pair of pliers, just to get them on, and have them literally fall off your waiste!!!

Ok, Ill get off my soap box now...sorry to ramble ladies, I was just on a roll! LOL
  • That was a good roll and a roll we NEED to hear. I do appreciate the honesty. Where else are we going to get it. They have it painted everywhere that your pants will fall off in 6 weeks and it ain't so.

Thats why the addiction of 'screw it' comes in because our pants don't drop off, the scale doesn't move to a lower digit and we feel we sacrifice so much good to get some results that don't happen.

This reminds me of people who get out of jail try to make it in the regular stream and the world does not want to give them a job for a mistake.

The person says, 'screw it' how am I suppose to eat. Therefore they go back to then fast money of drugs.

Yes this is a fight . All I can say is God help me be stay on the right path and know it will bring good results.
  • Quote: That was a good roll and a roll we NEED to hear. I do appreciate the honesty. Where else are we going to get it. They have it painted everywhere that your pants will fall off in 6 weeks and it ain't so.

Thats why the addiction of 'screw it' comes in because our pants don't drop off, the scale doesn't move to a lower digit and we feel we sacrifice so much good to get some results that don't happen.

This reminds me of people who get out of jail try to make it in the regular stream and the world does not want to give them a job for a mistake.

The person says, 'screw it' how am I suppose to eat. Therefore they go back to then fast money of drugs.

Yes this is a fight . All I can say is God help me be stay on the right path and know it will bring good results.
    SO much truth in everything you said. I too, have suffered with the "screw it" mentality for years. Even as recent as a few months ago.
    I had many issues letting go of bitterness. Feeling bitter toward people who can eat whatever the **** they want and never gain an ounce, meanwhile I can smell something fattening and gain! lol
    I just really had to understand that everybody's body is different, AND that the longer it takes to get it off, the longer it takes to put back on!
    NO person should be losing 8 lbs every week. It simply is NOT healthy, nor is it typical.
    My trainer is extatic with 5 lbs a month! I, of course, am usually devastated when that happens, and for all the reasons we listed previously.

It all goes back to the whole idea of "if youre not ready to change your mind, your body will never change". Its so true. ONce you free your mind, the body naturally begins to follow. This was the hardest part of all of this for me.
    I can do the work outs, the sweating, the puking, the sore feet and muscles, but the mental...now THATS the hard work.
    I simply didnt love myself enough to do it for the right reasons. Well, now, I am learning to do just that.
    IN fact, I bought myself a shirt recently that says I love My Booty. lolol
    I have decided to embrace what I will apparently always have! LOL
  • Hello Jodi!

Does the show give you the opportunity to come back and do a "Where are they Now?" type episode once you've lost at or near goal? The reason I ask, is because that could also serve as motivation to continue. I try to motivation where I can find it...sometimes it hides under my bed though!
  • Quote: Hello Jodi!

Does the show give you the opportunity to come back and do a "Where are they Now?" type episode once you've lost at or near goal? The reason I ask, is because that could also serve as motivation to continue. I try to motivation where I can find it...sometimes it hides under my bed though!
    Im sure they will do something of the sort, but we wont know until it creeps up on us, like always. lol
    As it is, those of who had better results, or well, surgery to create better results, got a lot more media attention, as you will see.
  • Hi Jodi Welcome back. I'm surprised some of the people had surgery... I thought that would go against the grain of the show I'm kind of dissapointed in it now.

Regarding your statment "weeks when I know I have eaten as little as 700 calories a day, worked out 3 hours a day for a straight week and lost 1 lb!!!!!!!!". The reason you only lost 1 pound is probably because you ate so few calories! When we don't eat enough our bodies go into starvation mode and actually try to conserve fat I think we are probably all guilty of doing this at some point, please try to stick to a healthy diet.

Do you still see Tom? What happened with him and that girl? I know, I know... I'm terrible!!!!
  • Jodi: I just wanted to say that both things came across (to me) equally: your fun personality and your emotional intensity. I really envy you that happy disposition. (I have enough emotional intensity of my own, lol--sometimes just the workout and pushing my body brings it out!). You did so well and I was so inspired by you!

I love the show as a whole: a much kinder, gentler version of BL and no (or not very much so far) yelling.
  • I am loving this show. I was surprised that that woman had surgery after losing only 50 pounds. Your body still has so many changes to go through, although I can see wanting to get rid of that excess fat.

They do tend to like the crying shots, but over all I like the show.