3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Loss News and Current Events

Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

A&E show: HEAVY

Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #31

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

I come to something about TV.Com. That doesn't look right to me :????
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #32
unabashed

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

I hate the biggest loser, I agree, circus freak fare.

I find hoarding itself to be odd and interesting, but the show is confusion and depressing to me. Bf told me about this one boy who was little and his mom was a hoarder and they wanted to throw away a cotton ball and he was like "NO! It's my favorite cotton ball!"

*enter confusion*

I did see the one with the kid who had dog hair everywhere and was severely depressed. after about 10 mins I had to turn it off.

I tried to start a sentence off here with "it hurts me..." but I couldn't finish it. I don't know why, but to watch, I just feel pain. I'm very empathetic I guess.

This show sounds interesting, but not sure it's something I would be able to watch if it's very sad. I do have hope for the people involved, but I just feel too much of everything to watch things like that. Same with intervention which I find the most interesting, but I dunno, it's just painful to see. I wish we all had it easier I guess.

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #33

I don't think they are freaks. Just have an eating disorder. That's why they have that clinic/hospital just for obese people to help them and exercise.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #34
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I love Hoarders too, I find it fascinating and I like that there is rarely a "cookie cutter" happy ending - there's no 'easy' fixes! I'm hoping Heavy will be like that, just a real look at what the truly obese go thru, and hopefully some tips and practical advice on how to get on with it. I'm really hoping the psychological component is compelling and not an absolute JOKE like Jillian on Biggest Loser

Started: 323
Now: 171 - nope, 165 now!
NOPE -- 162 now! Holy crap i've lost a PERSON!
Goal: 160

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." - Zig Ziglar
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #35
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

It isn't that the people on TBL are freaks, it's that they're showcased as if they were by the producers of that show. I absolutely can't abide it; to me (and your mileage may vary), it panders to the lowest common denominator of their potential audience--the desire to see other people's humiliation and suffering.

I dislike a lot of other "reality" TV for the same reason. The "real" housewives shows are a trip through the reptile house at the zoo, "Celebrity Rehab" is nothing but a bunch of poo-flinging monkeys shrieking for an extra fifteen minutes of fame, and "The Biggest Loser" is just the man-faced "bearded lady" leading gawkers through the freak tent to see the fat ladies and chicken-biting geeks.

A&E's more serious reality shows--"Intervention," "Hoarders," and so forth--don't seem to truckle to the base, slack-jawed, snickering yahoos the way most of the network shows do. I really do get the sense that the producers want to effect real changes in people's lives and to shed light on the destructive things that many people do, but keep hidden. They're not just saying, "Hurr hurr, lookit that fat broad RUN when the skinny one yells!" :angry:

Some episodes I can't watch because I find them frustrating and, as lottie63 said, painful to see. But those shows aren't treating the people in them as creatures put on our screens to entertain the masses the way that I feel other, more popular, but far less scrupulous reality television shows do.

Again, other's views may differ and they may get a lot more out of the more typical "reality" shows (I put reality in quotes there because a show publicly shaming a woman who only lost nine pounds in a week is NOWHERE near reality) than I do. If they draw inspiration from it, then it serves a greater good.

But I think I'm going to far prefer "Heavy" when it's on.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #36

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Nola ~

OMG!! I couldn't agree more.

I love your what you wrote and HOW you wrote it. You have a way with words.

Long term goal

Every day do something to make a better tomorrow.
Discipline is remembering what you want.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #37
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Thanks, DixC! I write better when I'm good and hopping mad about stuff, and TBL certainly does that to me.

Another thing I'm going to find interesting about "Heavy" is that there are a few connections to these forums. Love that we're going to see a couple of different angles to the show and possibly talk with some of its participants.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #38
Rock Star

S/C/G: 367/280/160

Height: 5ft.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
What is you name in the show??
My name is Jodi, sorry it took me so long to respond! I was on the show with Flor Cox, and she is also an amazing woman! My episode will premeir the show on the 17th. Hope you guys are all inspired and touched by what we all went thru, and continue to do so!
QuailingQuazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #39

thank you. WRiting it on my notes now.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #40
Rock Star

Hey everyone, there is a quick peak at the show I am appearing in on the A&E website. Just go to the site and type in Heavy in the search bar, then watch the preview.. I am the first one you hear and see...eating haagen Dasz, of course. That damn ice cream...lol
Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #41

wow. Do you have to live with each other? how was it? do you all train together? Did they teach you how to eat better, better choices. Tell me about it.
What can you teach the rest of us trying to not be heavy.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #42
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I've been really looking forward to the new show, and now, I'm even more excited!

2+ year maintainer.
The human body is capable of amazing things! But without the mind, it is nothing. Get your mind in gear and the body will follow!

Be selfish about caring for yourself, you deserve it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #43
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Jodi, I'm really looking forward to seeing you, and your transformation, on the show. I love that some of the participants, and their family and friends, have found us here! While I cannot watch Hoarders (too painful for me--maybe it strikes a nerve too closely), I do like watching Intervention when I can. I'm hoping that Heavy is a more realistic view of weight loss than BL. Welcome Jodi and others! We're glad you're here!

losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #44

Is the whole series filmed yet?

Will you be in each episode?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #45
Rock Star

Thanks for all the supportive comments, I really appreciate it!

The series is done filming, and will air in January.
We did live with one another for one month in beginning at a resort we were sent to, as you will see in the show.
This time together really gave us the opportunity to bond with one another in a special way. I cant tell you enough how important each of the participants of this show have been to me and my success.

The only advice I have to people who are doing this for themselves as well is, dont be afraid to ask for help. Dont assume that you can do this alone, because you cant. Period. You NEED a good support system, a group, a team of people to cheer you on. It may seem like you can do it on your own in the beginning, but it gets harder before it gets easier.
My struggle isnt over...this is a forever thing for me and for others as well. I would love to be able to say that being a part of this show "fixed" everything in my life, but I wouldnt be honest if I said that. I am a different woman today than I was when I started, but I still have a long way to go. I do feel I have the toold neccessary to do it now. I am really hoping to get the type pf continual support I need from this website, and hope to meet new friends to join me in my quest for the smaller me!
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.