Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #16  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This woman needed to ruminate longer before writing something that a lot of people would read. That is, if she really wanted to promote a thoughtful discussion. But I suspect she & her editors did not, and all they wanted was a large number of Document Page Views showing up on the counter that monitors individual Web site visitors -- and anyone can get big numbers there by putting out something that irritates many people. I resent that they get to add me to their count because I clicked on the link.

I take this with a shaker full of salt. It's a fashion magazine, which has never been my go-to source for advice on physical or psychological health. It's primarily a source for looking at expensive advertisements of clothes, make-up & hair & skin care products & perfume -- all featuring naturally slender people. Because people can be naturally slender, apparently.

But no one is ever naturally fat. It just works one way.

Yeah, right.

Last edited by saef; 10-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #17  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I watch the show (and love it! The actress is hysterical!), and I'm not uncomfortable with it at all. They're just two people who really like each other. And two obese people kissing? So what? Other than their weight, neither is bad looking at all. The actress is STUNNING really.

Why should people have to stop living their lives because they're obese? That's just downright stupid. We watch people who smoke make out on TV, AND I've seen drug addicts make out on TV, AND girls with body weights low enough to categorize them as anorexic make out with someone on TV. Really, that argument in the post doesn't hold.

It's nowhere near the worst article I've read, but as I was reading I couldn't help but think, "This writer cannot ever have been obese." Usually when people say things like, 'all you have to do to be healthy and skinny is ____,' it's a safe bet they've never struggled with being far too big. Actually, I think she is/has been anorexic, so she should REALLY understand what it is to battle a food disorder.

It's also interesting the level of dehumanization the writer puts on "fat people" in general. Like she shouldn't have to witness the grossness of them being in love or dating or even existing. She basically said that if you're obese, she doesn't want to see you AT ALL, not even walking across a room.

I'm disappointed in her, though sadly not surprised. I think it's fine for her to have an opinion, but the way she went about it was probably nothing more than an attempt to gain readers or something.

Interesting, though.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Seems kind of like a trolling article to me. I really can't believe someone would seriously post that and risk losing readers. I think she's just trying to stir up drama and get some more publicity.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

The article disgusted me, so I stopped reading. It makes me wonder why the author didn't do the same (not really, stirring up debate is the obvious aim). If fat lovin' disturbs her so much, why didn't she just change the channel.

With all the horrors that are graphically depicted on tv (rapes, murders, drug use, child abuse, child abductions/rape/murder....) I think it's more disturbing that it's fat affection that disturbs her enough to inspire commentary.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #20  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i love when people say "choose to be fat", now i understand! here i thought i had suffered from mental illness for all these years.....now i know it was my choice the whole time. great. thank you. i will have to let my doc know too that finding my way to 300 plus pounds TWICE isnt an eating disorder after all!
i bet who wrote the article "chose" to be an anorexic too!
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #21  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Jen Lancaster (LOVE HER. Read her books!) wrote a counterpoint:

http://www.jennsylvania.com/jennsylv...ie-claire.html
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #22  

Awesome rebuttal!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #23  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Jen Lancaster (LOVE HER. Read her books!) wrote a counterpoint:

Ack! I came here to post just that. Love love love Ms. Lanacaster. I will buy every book of hers in hardback till the end of time. This is my solemn vow.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #24  
Kicking the soda habit

S/C/G: 214/204/165

Height: 6'0"

Oh. My. Gosh. That article is so incredibly offensive, it's unreal. I would be less surprised if it were on a personal blog or private webpage, but no- this is Marie Claire, a very prominent magazine that women all over the world read. I am shocked that this is how they choose to portray themselves.

I found this counterpoint article in the comments, I clicked it out of curiosity and found myself laughing alone at my desk. It does have some offensive language, but I highly recommend it- she sums up my feelings towards the article perfectly.

EDIT: Oh no! I didn't see the 2nd page of posts when I went to share the link. Apparently, mandalinn82 beat me to it.

Last edited by GreenTeaYum; 10-27-2010 at 06:31 PM.
GreenTeaYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

As an OA member, I am livid over this crap. Not that I buy those kind of trashy magazines anyway, but still..
Thanks for showing the rebuttal!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #26  

I cancelled my Marie Claire subscription after reading this. I'm fat and I love to spend money on fashion and beauty, but I don't love to be insulted by people who take my money.

Speaking of which, does anybody know of a magazine that promotes all body sizes? I miss Mode magazine.

Thank those of you for calling out Jen Lancaster. I haven't read her books, but I am off to update my amazon wish list.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 268/259/155

Height: 5'3.5"

Personally I find the blog article offensive but then we are all about free speech ... and it was voicing somebody's own opinion whether we agree or not ! Tat little rebutle after was just to protect thier own hinny ...... Personally I think somebody that allowed that to be posted should go eat something really fattening ! Just kidding ! I love Mike and Molly and don't even see them as " obese " ... I LIKE their sense of humor and their " truths " ............................ and that is JMHO !!!!
grammajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #28  

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. And exercising of free speech invites others to do the same.

I don't personally subscribe to Marie Claire, but I would have cancelled my subscription if I did. I do (or rather did) occasionally buy it on the newstand, but I doubt I'll be doing that for a while. The article, and the magazine representatives reaction to it (as described in several reports of the incident) left too bad a taste in my mouth.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
... does anybody know of a magazine that promotes all body sizes? I miss Mode magazine.
I found this (looks promising, though it's online only)

http://www.plusmodelmag.com/

Last edited by kaplods; 10-27-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #30  

I have to say this blog editorial is hitting me a lot harder than it should. It just pulls me right back into the mindset of my teens and twenties - when I felt obligated to protect "decent people" from the disgusting horror of my presence.

So many of us feel we don't deserve a "real life," and definitely not a "public life," until we reach some arbitrary level of social acceptability. Some people never feel they've reached that level (and as a person who's struggled with anorexia, as she claims, Ms. Kelly should have realized this and known how hurtful such comments could be).

It's bad enough that it's still largely (no pun intended) taboo for fat people to exercise or in any way be active in public, but to label normal human affection as disgusting and off limits to us as well. It burns me up a lot more than it should.