3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Loss News and Current Events

Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Whole Foods discriminating against overweight employees

Old 03-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #16

S/C/G: 276/276/175

Height: 6-1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Any company that gives health insurance to its employes is penalized by higher premiums for obese employees.
I also don't get this. Do people who have had heart attacks, or other physical ploblems in the past also undergo these higher premiums? How would the employer know about them? Whatever goes on between the doctor and patient is confidential, so the employer does not know about the potential employees health. The only thing is that being overweight is "obvious," unlike "cancer" which might not be seen by a potential employer.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #17

Being thin is not an indication of health. Thin people who don't exercise will have a high percentage of body fat than their exercising counterparts.

I don't see this as discrimination. Employers are trying to encourage employees to be healthy. If they chose not to do what is necessary, they are going to cost the employer more in health insurance and days of work lost.

HW 356 pounds - CW 138 - GW 130

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Forget Yesterday. I am, where I am. I know where I could have been, had I done what I did not do. Tell me, Friend, what I can do today, to be where I want to be tomorrow. - Sigrad
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #18
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Being thin is not an indication of health.
Neither is BMI, which even health experts will admit. I discuss this topic regularly with many Doctors, Epidemiologists, Registered Dietitians, Nurses and others in Public Health and Behavioral Medicine in the labs I work in.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #19

S/C/G: 194/186/126

Height: 4'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Can you please explain this to me? Do you get asked how much you weigh when you are hired anywhere? .
Employers don't ask for your weight, but most health insurance companies charge much more for people with high BMIs. As soon as the employees go to the doctor for a check up, the insurance company knows their BMI. The company that purchases the health insurance for their employees is charged accordingly.

Morgan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.