3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Loss News and Current Events

Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Why Snack Packs Don't Work

Old 09-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #16

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

To read most weight loss studies, it sure seems that "nothing" works, and I think I know why.

It's as if they were trying to find a "cure" for a generic symptom like a headache, or a sore throat - and the reason they can't find a cure, is because the symptoms might be the same, but the diseases that cause them are all different.

There still aren't alot of diet studies that study the differences between people trying to lose weight, instead they lump everyone together. The person wanting to lose five pounds, 50, or 200 (no matter how long they've been trying), the person who has been morbidly obese since childhood, the person who gained weight in midlife or after retirement...

And not are we all overweight to a different degree, and a different length of time, we all have different eating choices, eating triggers, trigger foods, exercise patterns.

It's no wonder that "nothing" works, because the population is too different to compare one person to another, and the number of people for whom "it" whatever it is being studied, does work - they get lost in the shuffle. It's too small a group to be noticed among all the people "it" didn't work for.

Since the field, for the most part, isn't trying to study the differences between different "kinds" of people attempting to lose weight, we're stuck doing our own experiments on ourselves. It's not good "science," but it's really the only option right now.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
=D

Snack packs mess with my head. The whole 'just one more. its only 100 cals' is what gets me.

mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #18
Because I am wortth it

S/C/G: 177/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I would rather buy the box, divide it up and make my own snack packs. If I can grab and go I don't tend to munch and entire box does not fit in my car to well or my purse for that matter LOL

I do make up snack packs of good foods, baggie of grapes, celery, baby carrots etc so when I want to munch there is not thinking involved just grab a baggie
Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #19

S/C/G: 231/165/140

mandalinn82
Quote:
You know, maybe there is something different about me. Because, no matter what studies say about the average person, I never once opened another 100 cal snack pack after eating one. Of course, I used them in moderation, as a treat, without making them a part of my daily dietary plan.
I'm with you on this one! I do buy 100 cal packs and look at them the same way, as a treat. I also keep the Mini Delights at home for a treat. I also have never opened more then one. Not that I don't want more or couldn't eat more, I could! But I see them as a treat and know that I am only allowed one as a treat. I think anymore then that is along the lines of binging for me. If I have the extra cals left for a day & I want something sweet, I will have either a 100 cal pack or a mini delight. They fill my craving for something sweet and are not too bad as far as treats go.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #20

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

The problem for me with the snack packs is that they're usually processed / junk type foods. Those kind of things make me want MORE, even when I don't particularly like them. That is just nuts. OTOH, with something very high quality, even high in fat and/or sugar, I find it much easier and more satisfying after a smaller portion. It really weirds me out the way junk makes me want more even when it's not that tasty.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #21

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
The problem for me with the snack packs is that they're usually processed / junk type foods. Those kind of things make me want MORE, even when I don't particularly like them. That is just nuts. OTOH, with something very high quality, even high in fat and/or sugar, I find it much easier and more satisfying after a smaller portion. It really weirds me out the way junk makes me want more even when it's not that tasty.
That's my thought on them as well. I'd so much rather *spend* my 100 calories on something with a little more nutritional oomph (and that's not going to leave me fighting with myself over whether I'm still hungry or not). I'm much happier and more satisfied with a cup of diced, fresh pineapple than with a couple of cookies.

Dieting is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #22
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 12.31.12: 286.6/260.0/150.0

They are overpriced, but I need the portion control. If I have a whole box of cheez-its in the house, I'll eat the whole thing, but I can keep myself to just one 100 calorie pack.

I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl...
**Mini Goals**SW:286.6 1/1/13
**5%(272.2) 1/20/13**10%(258)**Big #! 249**15%(243.6)**50lbs.(236.6)**20%(229.4)**25%(21 5.0)**OneDerland (199.9)**Big #! 190**100lbs.(186.6)** Big #! 179**40%(172.2)**125lbs.(161.6)**45%(157.8)**GOAL 150**
Red = Goal Reached

June Exercise Challenge: 90/1300 Minutes
One for every 5lbs.

KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #23

S/C/G: 225/208/150

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I don't over-indulge when I have my 100 calorie packs. If there's a bag of chips I'll definitely eat more then if I have the amount I am allowed to eat counted out for me. I don't know why. I'd sometimes eat two bags a day but it definitely was not one after the other. It'd be one in the afternoon and then one in the evening. I bought a bag of oreos recently and found myself eating 5 of them which is 250 calories as opposed to the serving size of 3 which is 150 calories. Yikes!

For some reason I'll keep eating if a bag is already open. But if I know I have to go and open a new bag I'll just feel really guilty. And that's why I love the 100 calorie packs.

Though, I'll admit, since they are pricey I've been making my own recently with dry special k cereal, popcorn, etc.

alligatorskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
I'm much happier and more satisfied with a cup of diced, fresh pineapple than with a couple of cookies.
The other day I had a generous bowl of applesauce (chunky / unsweetened) with a bunch of cinnamon. Could not believe how good it was.

Last edited by JulieJ08 : 11-12-2008 at 01:30 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #25

S/C/G: High:215, Goal:165(?)

Height: 5'11"

I can't bring myself to buying 100 cal packs just because it'd be like opening a can of worms. I don't know if I would have the control to stop at one, therefore I will not tempt myself. And considering i allow myself one treat a day to be had after dinner, there are normally other things that are far more tempting. Like a couple biscuits with my tea, or a 1/2 cup of ff ice cream, or 4 oz of red wine.

The concept of snack packs is great though. Pre-portioning everything I eat is my ultimate success tactic. It's the quickest and easiest way to stay healthy when you're planning your day.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #26

S/C/G: 317/305+/150

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrillharpy View Post
The snack-pack concept has worked for me for the same reason Lean Cuisine meals and their ilk have been helpful--I've learned about portion control. I was reluctant to open another snack-pack bag, so it helped to put the brakes on my eating.
However, I've adapted the snack-pack thing to make it more economical. I put @100 calories worth of whatever I bought in bulk (usually crackers or pretzels) in small plastic baggies. These bags are reused, keeping the cost and waste down, and it still helps me keep portion size in mind. I plan on doing this for the foreseeable future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylmrn View Post
I would rather buy the box, divide it up and make my own snack packs. If I can grab and go I don't tend to munch and entire box does not fit in my car to well or my purse for that matter LOL

I do make up snack packs of good foods, baggie of grapes, celery, baby carrots etc so when I want to munch there is not thinking involved just grab a baggie
I like doing this too - I buy in bulk and then repackage into serving sizes. That way when I want a few crackers or a snack I cansinply grab a baggies out of the cupboard and know it is a "proper" serving.

GOALS:
1) Break the "E" on my scale (no more error message)
2) 10% of weight lost
3) 20% of weight lost
4) Onederland
5) Hit my high school weight 175 pounds
6) Final goal of 150! (this might be adjusted as I get closer)
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #27
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppingbride View Post
I can't bring myself to buying 100 cal packs just because it'd be like opening a can of worms. I don't know if I would have the control to stop at one, therefore I will not tempt myself.
I bought two boxes of snack packs a while ago - because they were on sale!! What a silly reason. I regretted. When I ate the first snack pack, I had to have another one - even though I did not particularly liked it. I just had to continue eating.
The second box is still sitting in my car, with half of the snack packs still there. It is not anything I will again. It really makes me want to continue eating, and I would although I am not a calorie counter I would much rather each something healthier - e.g. hummus with veggies. The snack packs just provide carbs and I would rather get healthy carbs from fruit, milk, whole grains, etc.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #28
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

The concept of the snack pack really appeals to me - especially with young children. The thing that I do not like about them is that the food is hyper-processed, unhealthy food. The other day I found a snack pack of hummus and fresh veggies....now that is what I call a snack pack! A snack that will actually tide one over for more than 10 minutes. The 100 calorie packs are still 100 empty calories and I would much prefer to ingest 100 calories of something that is actually going to do something for my body.

That being said, I do have a few packages of Late July peanut butter cracker sandwiches in my glove compartment for when an appointment takes longer than it was supposed to or when DS get that famished look in his eye. I don't think they are 100 calorie packs, but they are really convenient.

100 lbs. down plus a carrot for every 5 more
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #29

I saw two boiled eggs packaged up together at the supermarket. Talk about paying for convenience.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #30
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I'm with Kim - yeah they're overpriced. but I buy them because they give me portion control and that extra check when I want to mindlessly eat. One 100 cal pack causes significantly less damage than one box of cookies. I think I will always be the sort of person that can eat a box of cookies in one sitting - I cant eat just one oreo and not go back to the box but with the packs I get the mental click of emptying the package. I have to guard my habits daily. These packs are a treat when I want to eat something worse - which is often.

I go through a box or two of these things every two weeks - and it's worth it. It works for me so I'll keep doing it.

I can't be perfect but I CAN persevere

Last edited by valpal23 : 11-13-2008 at 11:47 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.