3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss News and Current Events (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-news-current-events-183/)
-   -   Anyone caught Shaq's Big Challenge last night? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-news-current-events/116286-anyone-caught-shaqs-big-challenge-last-night.html)

AquaWarlock 06-27-2007 02:51 PM

Anyone caught Shaq's Big Challenge last night?

It's a new series on ABC where Shaq takes six dangerously overweight kids (most in early teens) and tries to make them healthy. The first episode aired last night but I missed it :(

Wondering if anyone else caught it and whatcha think.

Show's Web site here:
http://www.buddytv.com/shaqs-big-challenge.aspx

Get n healthy 06-27-2007 03:01 PM

Dang, i wanted to watch that too. Dang, dang, dang.

Some of those parents need to be whipped with a wet noodle from what i saw on the previews. One kid said he had never even had a baby carrot. WHAT!?!?!?!? Does the child even know what a fresh veggie tastes like? How sad.

lendingheart 06-27-2007 03:31 PM

i only got to watch a few minutes of it.. it is sad .. im 30 and i remember a few over weight kids in school, but not many...

i totally blame video games, bad neghborhoods ( kids cant stay out all day playing in the creek like i did) and the food industry... they rip foods of good vitamins and put in crap to make you eat and eat till you die.

my son is 7 and will play video games as long as you will let him... he isnt over weight but i can tell he could be if we didnt watch his food and activity.... now that he can ride a bike he encourages me to ride mine!

SuchAPrettyFace 06-27-2007 03:33 PM

I did check this out last night. I think it's going to be good, but it was

*****SPOILERS*****

foolish of him to leave kids that have never worked out & don't really know how all by themselves, with no adult supervision. And to have the parents watching is not a great idea, I think.

My friend & I were watching & comparing ourselves & our former selves to the kids. "I weighed 150 when I was 12", etc.

I think this will be a good show to watch while I wait for the debut of Biggest Loser this fall.

ANOther 06-27-2007 03:59 PM

I missed about the first 10 minutes but watched the rest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Get n healthy (Post 1750156)
One kid said he had never even had a baby carrot. WHAT!?!?!?!? Does the child even know what a fresh veggie tastes like? How sad.

Can't say it surprises me if he happens to live in an urban neighborhood. So many of them don't have a supermarket or anyplace nearby that sells fresh veggies so the residents end up doing their weekly grocery shopping at convenience stores which is mostly processed crap. I work at the University of Minnesota; there's a co-op grocery about a 15-minute walk from my office (I go there for lunch sometimes, the walk makes for good exercise), they have fresh produce there, but otherwise the nearest 2 supermarkets are about a mile away, and one of them is an upscale place catering to the fancy-condo residents nearby.

I didn't see it mentioned on the show but the USA Today review said that the kid who'd never had baby carrots ate 12 fast-food meals a week :eek: and one of his favorite foods was pizza dunked in butter sauce :barf: No wonder he weighs 212 #!

karwie 06-27-2007 04:38 PM

I am SO glad this show is airing. I hope it will be a wake-up call for a lot of families. At the local spray park this week I noticed that about 3/4 of the 'kids' (5-12 yrs.) were carrying extra weight, some had to be clinically obese. When I was growing up, in the 70's, we were all stick-thin...I cannot remember even ONE kid in our neighborhood who was chubby, at least in the pre-teen years. Anyone else in my age category have this memory??

karwie

SITIBODY 06-27-2007 09:56 PM

Hi!

I saw this show and I am hooked! I am excited about the potential that this show has to change things, at least a little bit, in our world.
From the preview for the next shows it looks like Shaq is going into the schools to confront officials about school lunches and not enough P.E.
This is a huge problem in our country and I can't wait to hear what we learn on this show.

doIlookfat? 06-28-2007 09:32 PM

My only problem with the show was something I saw on the previews. I saw kids being pushed through horribly exhausting exercises. Why can't they exercise through play, like sports or walking? These are only kids. Their lack of exercise can be cured by showing them how fun play exercise can be, instead of sitting in their rooms playing video games. They will stick with playing basket ball or swimming as opposed to gym type activities. I teach children, I know how they think.

The problems with these shows is the rush to lose weight through extreme measures. In my opinion, they aren't teaching anyone how to do this long term. It's all about losing the weight as quickly as possible by extreme exercise and very limited calories. They should be teaching, instead, portion control and how to stick with this long term.

Reality shows like this just irk me for some reason. They get them to goal and just dump them in the real world. When the camera is gone, they are just back to their comfortable habits.

Debbs 06-30-2007 11:11 PM

Yep I saw it poor kids I really think Shaq is an angel. I cant wait to see the results at the end of the season. I want Shaq to help me!!