Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #1  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Default TIME Magazine Special Report: The Way We Eat

Online version here:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...626795,00.html

This week's TIME Magazine came out with a special report of several feature articles on eating & weight control, focusing on biological factors that influence the way we eat (and stop eating). Not specifically diet focused but it was a cool read nonetheless, and a fairly comprehensive review of research done thus far about physiological & psychological start/stop eating cues for our appetites (the one about lower ambient temperature prompting us to eat MORE was a bit of a surprise for me.) Other articles includes a humorous column on one guy's attempt at a no food diet for 48 hours, and a comparison of a week's worth of groceries between famiilies from different countries around the world (I feel SO sad at what little variety of food the folks from Chad have to eat on.)

Also a particularly interesting article was a follow-up on "The Biggest Loser" contestants, and how one guy regained most of his lost weight on the show (went from 330 to 200 and then bounced back to 300) and how most show contestants are not following healthy lifestyle changes to lose weight properly and keep the weight off.

Last edited by AquaWarlock; 06-04-2007 at 04:27 PM.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #2  
I'll think of something

Height: 5'1"

Greetings to all

I am a long time lurker and a first time poster. This post, or rather the Time mag link from this post, is what made me get off my lazy butt and register.

The article that especially caught my eye was the one about the former Biggest Loser contestants who either regained the weight they took off on the show or exercised like maniacal demons to keep it off I knew knew knew there was something more than merely cutting calories and exercising to pull off such fantastic loses on a weekly basis.

I feel vindicated in a way. A long time ago I used to drop big numbers fast by severely restricting calories, exercising like crazy and taking mega doses of laxatives.

Yes, it was water weight but it showed up on the scale and I dropped pounds and sizes super fast.

Sigh. Doing it the healthy way is so slow and boring.
marlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks for sharing , that was interesting. I liked seeing what others eat and how much of it and the cost.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote