Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #1  
Meg

Default 20 Things You Didn't Know About... Obesity - Article

Things that make you go hmmm ....

20 Things You Didn't Know About... Obesity

Here's #1: Child-safety seat manufacturers are starting to make bigger models after a recent study showed that over 250,000 U.S. children age 6 and under are too fat to use them.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #2  

I think the reports on obese kids bothers me the most. At 36 years old I feel I am responsible to better myself, but I also think I am responsible to make sure my children are not obese, not them.

However, I am looking forward to #10!!!

10. Duke University Medical Center found that women and men who lost 10 percent of their total body weight reported a significant improvement in their sexual quality of life.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Number 3 is not true for me its states that 15 - 30 percent blank, blank and rather be an alcoholic.
As a recovering alcoholic I will tell you I rather stay at this weight for the rest of my life than ever take another drink
Believe me I don't write that with a dry eye.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This is interesting considering a plane crashed a couple years ago because it weighed too much?

7. Airlines spent $275 million on 350 million additional gallons of fuel in 2000 to compensate for the additional weight of their passengers. Now we know why the peanuts are no longer free!

I think not only are people getting heavier but so is our luggage to accomodate our larger clothes and besides the fact that few people know how to travel light
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonrr View Post
...As a recovering alcoholic I will tell you I rather stay at this weight for the rest of my life than ever take another drink
Kisses and hugs to you, Sharon!
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Sobering statistics. I will show these to DD this evening. The other day I made her a dish she had been asking for that consisted of potatoes, turkey ham and cheese. The potato / cheese part comes out of a box and makes up 6 servings. I was LIVID to get home to find she had eaten the entire things in one sitting. She's not a big junk eater and is very athletic but she is also ONLY 12. I keep trying to impress upon her need to improve her eating habits and not to eat just cause she sees food. I don't want her to become one of these statistics like I have.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #7  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonrr View Post
Number 3 is not true for me its states that 15 - 30 percent blank, blank and rather be an alcoholic.
As a recovering alcoholic I will tell you I rather stay at this weight for the rest of my life than ever take another drink
(((hugs)))

But I think that's kind of the point, or at least what makes it a shocking statistic. They people who said that have no idea what it's like to be either obese or an alcoholic (same thing for the one about being blind or deaf or losing a limb). It's pointing out not how bad alcoholism is, but how badly perceived obesity is.

As far as the small percentage goes that said they'd rather be deaf/blind or lose a limb... that's just crazy. I mean, at least obesity is something you can change...

People will continue to astound me.
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

You know, I have to say, that all of this national focus on obesity and also the increased health & wellness campaign at my job (more than just thru the insurance co, they have actually set up a new dept and run fitness campaigns) is one of the key motivators for me to stick with my plan, and what got me started. I hate to be part of a "statistic" that is so sad. For gosh sakes, I feel like a smoker or something, anyone kwim? It's weird to explain, but I don't want to be discussed as part of this larger group. I want to take action and break free from it.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #9  
hara hachi bu

This was an incredibly interesting and insightful list. But the first thing that I thought after reading it was: "yummy, cajun-fried pecans? What are those?" hahahahahaha
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #10  
Gonna do it this time

S/C/G: 196/179/145

Height: 5'3"

I agree that the children's statistics bother me the most. Both me and my husband are overweight and our kids are not, and we are trying very hard to keep it that way! We limit their tv watching, encourage them to eat healthy and encourage them to play actively. So far so good . . . .
Bonoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #11  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

That was an incredible list of very sobering statistics! Whew! I think the one that hit the hardest for me was the one that said that weight control issues were second only to tobacco use as PREVENTABLE health dangers.

You know how years ago the tobacco packs said, "May be dangerous to your health" and now they are MUCH MORE DIRECT? Well, maybe certain FOODS and FOOD INGREDIENTS will one day carry such messages for all of us.

I KNOW that I have just within the last few years begun to really THINK about what I put into my body. Before that, my only criteria was, "Is it yummy?" When my husband was diagnosed with diabetes four years ago we went to the hospital dietary classes and then for a "tour" of the supermarket aisles. I am ashamed to admit that I really hadn't even LOOKED at the labels before to identify amounts of fat, carbs, fiber, etc. No wonder I "suddenly" found myself 100 pounds fatter!

Thanks for the enlightening article!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

The one that got me was obesity being the 2nd biggest killer...smoking being 1st. Now I'm not considered "obese" but I am overweight. I get SO upset and so angry at my husband for smoking.....but I'm digging myself an early grave as well from having the excess weight.
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #13  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elisha View Post
As far as the small percentage goes that said they'd rather be deaf/blind or lose a limb... that's just crazy. I mean, at least obesity is something you can change...

People will continue to astound me.
Exactly! People are very strange. I'd rather be overweight/obese and lose the weight and rock a hot bikini than rock a hot bikini as I hop on one leg down the beach. And blindness? Wow...
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #14  
one of my goals!

S/C/G: 215/203/150

Height: 5'7"

Number 1 is a big WOW for me!
BrunetteChic_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In college, I read the obesity statistic most frightening to me. It was the number of college women in some studies who said they would abort a child predisposed to obesity. I don't remember what the percentages in the studies were, but I remember it being so much higher than I would have ever expected.

I've struggled with obesity nearly all of my life (I was underweight until about age 4, put on my first diet at 5, and obese by age 6). I was also adopted as an infant, and I've always wondered whether one or both of my biological parents were obese.

I've always hated being fat, but I definitely would much rather have my fat life than no life at all. Even if I am never able to get off or keep off the weight, my life is still valuable to me and those who love me.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote