Atkins & South Beach diets: What they don't want you to know

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I've put the voodoo doll away

I totally agree that what works for one does not work for all. For me, cutting the carbs works. I've tried low cal, low fat, OTC pills, Dr. prescribed pills, only eating certain things at certain times, ets. This is what has worked for me.

The low-carb craze is unfortunate. Suzanne, you're right about it sending the wrong message. The same thing happened with the low-fat craze. I happen to read Juju's SDP faithfully, and the wisdom there is invaluable. Whole foods, real foods should be the focus. Not frankenfoods.
  • Shoot, do I really have to put these pins away ?

Shucks, I miss all the fun
  • PERFECTION from Miss Chris: (nothing new, but...)

"What may work for Jane, may not work for Mary."

People- to each his, er, her, own!!
  • You gals are so right. I get asked so often how i have lost my weight and I tell people I learned the difference between a good carb and a bad carb but just cause it worked for me doesnt mean it will work for them. If I eat sugar it will trigger a urge to binge like you would not believe. But I can eat all the fruits and veggies I want without causing any such effects. I do not follow a specific plan I just do my own thing and it is something I believe I can do for the rest of my life. That is what is important to me.
  • Quote:
    When you go on a diet, any diet, you are eating less. Add exercise, and you burn more. You are going to lose weight. It's not rocket science.
    (Newbie here)

A couple of years ago I dropped 30lbs in six months through cutting waaaaay back on animal fats, keeping the amount of complex carbs the same and dropping all junk food/restaurant food/fast food. And exercise -- I did at least an hour of walking a day, every day. After six months, it felt like i had a whole new body.

Then my (s)mother died and my eating/exercise plan went out the window. Yes I gained back ALL the weight and then a bit more.

Okay, but my point (and I do have one) is that I lost a substantial amount of weight while following an eating plan that was pretty much the good ol'USDA Food Pyramid. Portion control seemed to do the trick -- portion control means fewer calories. Combine that with a moderate amount of regular exercise and then pounds just slowly melt away.

So, yeah, I'm back where I started. And starting again. Maybe this time I'll stick with it long enough to form new habits that will keep me going through rough times.

137/127/145