Old 01-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #1  

Question Can you still lose weight if you hate veggies?!?

Hello.. I absolutly hate veggies. I get some servings in if I eat them in like canned soup.. which Im sure is not healthy eather. The only veggies I eat now are corn, potatoes, sometimes as long as they are cooked and in a stew or something else I can handle carrots. Otherwise I dont eat veggies at all. Now, Im a big fresh fruit person, is that ok? I just started out calorie counting. Any advice anyone? Thanks!
countrymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Have you tried "hiding" veggies in meatloaves and pasta sauces (even cutting them really small or grinding them first, if it helps)? V-8 juice as a soup base? Cooking them with meat? Stir fries? Eating raw veggies with dip (even if you have to start with a dip or salad dressing that may not be the healthiest).

There are thin and even underweight people who don't eat a balanced diet, so sure you can lose weight without eating vegetables, but you might want to talk to a nutritionist since you're nearly cutting out an entire food group. Corn and potatoes, and to a lesser degree peas and carrots, have more in common with bread and grains than other vegetables, and you're not getting many of the "green" nutrients with most fruits, either.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

I think that fruit is not a substitute for the veggies. You won't want to know this. Maybe if you've ever had fresh steamed veggies you would like them better than veggies out of a can, which can be salty and whimpy and limp. I guess I'm weird because I like green veggies. My family is Italian-American. We always kept a garden even though we lived in an inner-city. It really helped me appreciate and enjoy fresh veggies. I don't have much time now for fresh, but my freezer is stocked with frozen, which are just as good if not better. And there's no prep work.

Try eating veggies in their purest state, just tossed lightly with some olive oil. Get rid of the creamy or goopy stuff, and the veggies might actually taste better to you.

There's nothing like a greenbean salad. Just put some greenbeans in a bowl mixed with vinegar and oil and a little salt and pepper. Let them marinate overnight in the fridge. They will taste delicous!!!

Marinating, roasting, steaming, and grilling veggies really brings out the flavor, while keeping in all of the nutrients. Veggies are only meant to be cooked until they are just tender, not wilted, like some people cook them.

Flavor veggies with herbs, like rosemary, cilantro, basil, etc. Have you ever tasted tomatoes with basil? So good. Mushrooms with rosemary? Yummy.

Please change your mind about eating veggies. You will grow to love them if you prepare them in a variety of ways.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #4  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

If you don't like veggies you don't like veggies.
ok, I am no expert, but since I wasn't a big fruit or veggie person I thought I would chime in. I kept trying things till I found something I could eat. I live on pears. Maybe not the best thing but it got me to eat fruit regularly. With my veggies I kept trying different things until I found things I liked. I hate spinach generally, but I realized if I sauteed it with olive oil and garlic it was kind of ok. You might also want to try cooking things different ways. I also have a new fondness for the frozen pack of mixed vegetables. I take a 16 oz bag, put in a pot with a a little water, a little butter, salt and pepper (the butter and salt might be too much, but you can make you own choices).

Last I am not big on eating veggies with nothing on them. I either need a little butter, or olive oil flavored with some kind of spice or seasoning (cumin, cilantro, turmeric). Also you might want to try some "ethnic" dishes. They tend to be more flavorful and you can always reduce any fat added. Collard greens come to mind.

Ok, hope that helps.

-Obie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymomof2 View Post
Hello.. I absolutely hate veggies. I get some servings in if I eat them in like canned soup.. which Im sure is not healthy eather. The only veggies I eat now are corn, potatoes, sometimes as long as they are cooked and in a stew or something else I can handle carrots. Otherwise I dont eat veggies at all. Now, Im a big fresh fruit person, is that ok? I just started out calorie counting. Any advice anyone? Thanks!
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #5  
Nicker

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't care for veggies either nor fruit. I do like bannans and I do like to eat salad therefor I eat a few heads of lettuce every week. However I hate things like carrots or celery in my salad. (I DETEST celery unless it is in a Caesar) I do like tomatoes on certain things as well as cucumbers. As far as fruit goes Bananas. I love bananas and eat usually one a day. Sometimes I will buy other fresh fruit and swear I will eat it this time. It usually always goes bad on me. I recently bought some fruit+ veggie source bars and fruit to go strips. They help a bit. I love this broccoli casserole that I used to make but I don't want to know how much fat and calories were in it... (with the cheese and mushroom soup and miracle whip and cheese flavoured crackers)

If I make low fat muffins I try to add some fruit to them. For example I made low fat bran muffins and threw in some bluberries I bought fresh last summer and froze.

Another thing I do is that I make sure I take a daily multivitamin as well as calcium supplements.
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My husband hates chunks of cooked veggies. However, when I bought an immersion blender and started pureeing homemade soup he loved it. I can toss almost any veggie in there and puree it and he'll eat it (I use plenty of seasoning and spice)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My SO also thought he didn't like veggies and it's true that he doesn't like most of the standards (no broccoli, cauliflower, squash, tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, spinach, brussels sprouts, cabbage). But by experimenting with new and less traditional vegetables, I found lots of veggies that he does like (fennel, chard, kale, parsnips, turnips, celeriac, edamame, fava beans, okra). There are literally hundreds of vegetables--maybe you can find some you like if you start experimenting.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #8  

I've always loved fruits and veggies. When I was younger, I was fat, but ate a balanced (but high-cal) diet, and was active. I swam and went to the gym regularly, and felt good. My weight didn't get in the way of doing most of the things I wanted to do.

Now, I have health problems caused or worsened by my weight. The weight caught up to me as I got older (as everyone tells you it will, but you never believe because you're young and stupid). Eating a poor diet affects health the same way. You can be thin with no fruits and vegetables, but you can't be healthy, and it very well may catch up with you eventually.

As Barbara mentioned, there are hundreds of veggies you can try, and hundreds of ways to prepare them. There is bound to be some combination you enjoy. Think of finding them as an adventure. Almost like finding a good man - you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince. A grocery or health food store with a salad bar, would give you a chance to try several without spending a lot of money.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sure this thread is long dead, but I just happened across it, so...

Yes, you can lose weight without veggies. I hate almost all veggies. I can choke down some broccoli if it's cooked in some type of sauce, and I can handle lettuce, baby spinach, and cucumber in salads, but other than that (and the non-veggie-like potatoes and corn), I'm at a loss.

And it's certainly not for lack of trying. I've tried nearly every veggie I could find in the produce section--I've tried fresh, canned, frozen, cooked (steamed, microwaved, boiled, baked/roasted, grilled...), raw (plain, with dip/dressing, in salads...)--I agree a million percent with Obsidianbbw: "If you don't like veggies, you don't like veggies. "

I have been able to hide some veggies, though, to try to sneak them into my diet without literally gagging at the flavor/texture (yes, most veggies make me actually physically gag). I now like to thicken up pasta sauce by taking a small box of frozen chopped spinach, thawing it, and pureeing it and adding to my sauce. I can't taste it at all, and it's barely even visible (just makes the sauce darker). I also sometimes like to add salsa to meals (especially chicken or as a salad dressing)--it's not much, but it does have some chopped veggies in it that have been soaking in that jar for so long I can barely taste them

Of course, not all veggie-hiding experiments have gone so well. I made a pizza and put some peppers on it--I mixed them into the sauce and then covered them with the cheese, so I thought maybe since I couldn't see them, I wouldn't even know they were there. Wrong. I could taste the bitterness from a mile away and ended up picking them all out of my slices

But it's all trial and error. I've been alive and nutritionally healthy (bar being overweight) for over 20 years without eating enough vegetables (I've actually found that I now even dislike some veggies I liked when I was younger, like peas).

I do love fruit, though, so even though it's not a substitue, at least I'm getting in something healthy
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I agree that if you don't like veggies, then you shouldn't force yourself to eat things you know you don't like.

For me though, I've grown to love veggies. As few as 5 years ago, I didn't eat very many veggies at all, especially by themselves. But I started eating veggies I knew I liked more often. Then I would try different veggies, cooked different ways and then I realized that I was learning to love veggies. I also never ate spinach but now I eat spinach fairly often.

One of my favorite way to eat veggies is to roast them. Broccoli roasted is divine, especially mixed with some onions. Anyway, I say don't force yourself but give yourself a chance to experiment if you haven't already. If you had told me 5 years ago that I'd be eating 3-4 servings of veggies every day, I would've told you that you were crazy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #11  

Maybe it is possible to "make up the difference" with a wide variety of fruits, seeds, nuts, grains and possibly supplements, but I think it would take some awareness and effort, so a dietician could be a great help (or at least a few good books on nutrition, so you understand the long term effects of what you're missing)

I think if you're going to eliminate any food group, or a large part of it, you probably should at least take a daily vitamin and seek professional advice. The human body is fairly resistant (some people's more than others) and can function, if not thrive on a terribly unbalanced diet. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. A vegetable-free diet increases your risk of digestive illnesses, cancer, vitamin deficiencies, and other health problems, many of which won't show up until middle age. If you're going to take the risks, you should at least understand them.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #12  
LLV

You can lose weight eating ANYTHING. As long as you don't eat too much of it.

One of the "diet" sayings is this; it's not what you eat but how much.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. However it's better for your body to make healthy choices.

I like the others' suggestions of hiding the veggies in your other foods. Ground up carrots, zucchini, spinach, etc, in meatloaf. Maybe mash up some cooked cauliflower into your mashed potatoes. Trust me, you won't even know it's there. And yes, pasta sauce is a GREAT place to hide veggies. Like Jill said, you can't even taste it. You can even puree (or chop up real fine) things like broccoli and put that in pasta sauce as well, or stick it in a pan of lasagna.

LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #13  

Anyone remember the hotdog and banana diet? Nine hot dogs on "even" days, and Nine bananas on "odd" days. Yuck!!! I don't even remember if I actually went on the diet (but maybe, as they're both at the bottom of my food preference list).

I've always "liked" a lot of vegetables, but now I LOVE them - mostly because I feel STARVED on my alotted calories without them. I'd be willing to eat cardboard with a little light ranch dressing, some days.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Anyone remember the hotdog and banana diet? Nine hot dogs on "even" days, and Nine bananas on "odd" days.
Oh my gosh, never heard of that one.

It would depend on what kind of hot dogs you eat. If I would eat the regular beef/pork franks, which are approximately 180 calories each, that would put me over my daily calorie limit. But, of course, I buy the Ballpark all white meat turkey franks. They're only 45 calories each and no fat. So if I ate 9 of those, I wouldn't be getting enough calories.

And 9 bananas??? I would think you'd have a slight constipation problem
Old 03-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #15  
LLV

Just another suggestion, you can also buy jars of baby food (the vegetables) and that too you can toss into sauces, meatloaves, stews, soups, just about anything you're cooking. If you're really wanting to sneak in veggie nutrients without actually having to eat them.