Old 07-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default Celery??? Please help!

I never liked celery. I haven't really tried it since I was a kid who hated almost every veggie.

I bought a bag of celery, trying to give it a second chance. Now, it is home, in my refrigerator, and I'm clueless.

How do you like to eat celery? I've heard of people putting peanut butter on it? Any ideas on how to eat this stuff?
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #2  
ready to be thin

S/C/G: 217.5/209/175

Height: 5'9

my kids eat it with peanut buttter and raisin on it (ants on a log), i usualy get fat free ranch dressing or a veggie dip that i would usually use for carrots
cincyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Height: 5' 5"

I like celery chopped up small in chicken or tuna or any salad. Also there are those spreadable light cheeses like Allouette (spelling?) or make a mixture of FF cream cheese and salsa and spread that in it. "Ants on a log" - peanut butter dotted with raisins.
cyndyjlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #4  

I put lite pimento & cheese on it, my son loves garlic salt. Cut it up and eat the lighter inner pieces first. They have a much milder flavor than the dark green stalks so it may help you adjust to the flavor better.
jagmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I mostly use celery (esp. the darker outer stalks) for cooking. I put it in soups and stews, stir-frys, casseroles, and even an asian-flavored meat loaf. It's a great, low-calorie, filler ingredient that doesn't impact the flavor of anything much. If I have some leftover that I need to use up, I might cut it up in my salad for the evening or spread FF cream cheese it. I also love celery dipped in salsa (almost more than I like chips and salsa).

I always de-string the outer stalks before I eat or cook with them. With a paring knife, cut vertically into the outside, cut-end of the celery stalk. Hold the end of the strings between your thumb and the knife and pull downwards. This should remove the largest strings (it won't remove all of them). Sorry, I know I'm not describing this well, hopefully you can figure it out.

Here is a chicken and celery stir-fry recipe (from Everyday Foods by Martha Stewart) that comes out great (and uses up a good amount of celery).

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2)
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 to 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound celery (8 to 10 large stalks), thinly sliced on the diagonal (about 5 cups)
3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly slivered lengthwise
1 jalapeño chile, red or green, slivered lengthwise (optional, ribs and seeds removed, for less heat, if desired)
1 red pepper (optional)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
4 scallions, cut in 3-inch lengths

1. Cut chicken into thin strips, 2 ½ to 3 inches long. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg white, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper until smooth. Add chicken strips, and toss to coat.

2. Heat 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add coated chicken strips to skillet; cook, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

3. Add celery, ginger, pepper and jalapeño to remaining oil in skillet (add additional oil, if necessary); cook, tossing, until celery is crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes.

4. Stir vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar in with vegetables. Add scallions and cooked chicken; toss, until combined and heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.

Per serving: 282 calories; 13.8 grams fat; 28.2 grams protein; 11.3 grams carbohydrates; 2.2 grams fiber

Serve over rice if desired.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have never been the biggest fan of celery but I started eating it raw. Now I like it.

Regular snack - Celery with laughing cow cheese wedge

Favorite salad - Quasi Waldorf Salad

Lettuce, chopped or shredded or however you like it
Chopped celery - 1 to 2 stalks
Chopped apple - 1/4 apple
Chopped walnuts - 10 or so
Sliced grapes (optional) - 10 or so
Raisins - 15 or so
Dash of lemon juice
Nonfat plain yogurt - 1 to 2tbsp or more

Mix all of those together and you have a pretty good, sweet salad.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #7  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Thanks so much for the yummy looking recipes and ideas! they all sound good!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #8  
hara hachi bu

I eat mine with peanut butter (carrots can be good with peanut butter, too), or with Laughing Cow cheese, or with hummus. I also eat them plain.

I finely dice mine and add it to almost anything cooked: casseroles, stews, soups, even meatloaf.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I really like celery, but I only buy the kind in the bag with all the tops cut off. I think it tastes better.

I eat it chopped on salads, with wasa cheese, or in this salad I made up the other day. I'm not much of a cook. Since I made it up, I'm just guessing at amounts:

Bag whole wheat pasta, any shape, but I like rotini
1 large can tuna or chicken
1 red apple w/ skin, small diced
2 celery stalks, small diced
ff mayo (amount--your preferred consistency)

Stir everything together and serve on bed of lettuce or spinach leaves.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #10  
LLV

I like celery hearts. Don't like the outside ribs. My favorite way to eat celery is with peanut butter, but the cals from the pb add up too quick, so I usually avoid it. I don't like celery in salads or with any kind of veggie dip, so when I eat celery, it's usually cooked within a main dish or something.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I put a bit of peanut butter or maybe some cheese whiz. It is also very yummy with salsa.

One dish that I make with celery:
chicken breast
cut up celery
cup up carrots

Put all together in a pan, cover in hot sauce (my fav) sometimes I ad a bit of water, make in the oven at 350 for 1 hour. Sometimes I throw some potatoes in there and its my whole meal all done at once!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #12  

Default Celery

Just had my celery salad when I saw your post. No its wasn't very exciting. Had a bland one with beetroot, and there was some capsicum. Why would you eat chook food when there's takeaway? Well heres the reason, because, cancer, heart disease and obesity are caused by the following killers. Bread, flour, cakes, cookies and sugar in its many forms. The last high risk group which appeared at the same time that heart disease hiked in the 1920s is vegetable oil. You know, like the canola oil. They turn it into soap and back during chemical processing. In contrast extra virgin olive oil, and fish oils are really good for you. Surprised? Allow me to continue. Next: Unfermented milk protein (eg skim milk, but not cheese, yoghurt,whey,butter or cream). So remove these things from the refrigerator and pantry, so what is there to eat? Well you can always have celery....
omicron is offline   Reply With Quote