3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Veggie Challenged (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged-176/)
-   -   vEGGIES N TUNE/CONFUSED!!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged/70309-veggies-n-tune-confused.html)

Dreams 12-15-2005 12:45 AM

vEGGIES N TUNE/CONFUSED!!!!

Hey People Im Fairly New Here...my Names Beth N Im 21.. Basically I Been Battlin Weight Lose For All My Life. Im 223, Started At 230 Last Month, So Im Slowly Progressing With A Healthy Eatin Lifestyle, Alil Excercise, Currently Takin Meridia Too. Now I Eat Alot Of Veggie Foods, N Occassionaly I Break Up A Slice Of Cheese In My Salad. But Im Confused To What I Am In The Vegetarian World...i Eat Tuna For The Protein Since I Mostly Eat Salads N Tomato Sandwichs. Is This Healthy? Does Anyone Else Eat Seafood While Being Vegan.....please Help!!!!!!!!!! I Wuz Also Told It Wuz Vaulable To Have Dairy In Ur Diet????

LLV 12-15-2005 03:59 PM

Vegan's eat no animal products of any kind, and I believe that also includes fish. I mean, fish are animals. Fish is meat. So you're definitely not vegan. The vegan or total vegetarian diet includes only foods from plants: fruits, vegetables, legumes (dried beans and peas), grains, seeds, and nuts.

Some vegetarians, however, avoid meats of all kinds except they'll still eat dairy products. Like eggs, cheese, milk, etc. But regardless, meat is still not a food they eat. A friend of mine used to call herself a vegetarian but would still occasionally eat chicken on salads or fish. And I'd say, "Well how can you call yourself a vegetarian if you eat fish? Fish is meat, is it not?"

She doesn't call herself that anymore, lol.

mehitabelx 12-15-2005 05:52 PM

vegans eat no animal products at all.

ovo-lacto vegetarians will eat dairy and eggs. you could also be a lacto vegetarian - eat dairy but not eggs. or an ovo vegetarian - eat eggs but not dairy.

the terms i've seen for someone who will eat fish and/or fowl but no red meat is semi vegetarian or pseudo vegetarian.

if ya eat animal flesh, you're not a vegetarian. in my view anyway. but there are different views out there.

eat the way that works for you and don't worry too much about the labels.

kristin

LLV 12-15-2005 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehitabelx
eat the way that works for you and don't worry too much about the labels.

Exactly ;)

I feel the same way, don't label yourself. If you like meat but eat mostly vegetables, then so be it. You don't have to slap on that label to accomplish anything.

mehitabelx 12-15-2005 06:15 PM

well, i did find a label that fits you if you feel you must have one.

"A pescatarian eats everything a vegetarian eats and adds fish"

so there ya go. :)

kristin

Yogini 12-15-2005 06:37 PM

Wow Ladies! I am impressed! :bravo: GOOD answers!

Dreams if you have dietary concerns and would like to know where protein and calcium come from in a plant based (vegan) diet, feel free to send me a PM. Either way, best of luck with your weight loss and nutrition :)