Ok, here ya go:
* 16 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped
* 6 ounces low-fat, firm silken tofu
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1/8 cup low-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese - I leave this out and instead use a little cheese on top - fresh real stuff, not the green can
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 10 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
* 6 ounces fresh sliced shiitake mushrooms
* 1/2 cup diced red onion
* 1/4 cup bacon bits - turkey bacon works as does turkey pepperoni
* 1 pound penne pasta - whole wheat of course
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, in food processor or blender, combine spinach, tofu, lemon juice, garlic, broth, cheese, pepper, and Italian seasoning, process until smooth. Set aside.
3. Spray a large non-stick saute pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook onions and mushrooms until tender. Reduce heat to low, add pesto mixture and heat until hot.
4. Toss pasta with sauce and bacon bits. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. NOTE: If sauce seems too thick, thin to desired consistency with pasta cooking water or broth.
I think this is a delicious introduction to tofu. I've frozen portions of the sauce and pasta and had it reheat just fine. Gets a little water in it, but stir it up and its still good.