another reason to eat your veggies

• From the news -

According to the U.S. National Cancer Institute, 35 percent of cancer deaths in the United States can be attributed to diets that are high in fat and low in fruit, vegetables and fiber.

And people who eat adequate amounts of fruit and vegetables -- five to nine servings daily -- may cut their cancer risk in half compared to those who don't.

That's pretty powerful information!
  • Absolutely! Thanks for the reminder!
  • 5-9 servings a day? Wow that seems like a lot. I like veggies, but i dont think i eat that much in a day.
  • Quote: 5-9 servings a day? Wow that seems like a lot. I like veggies, but i dont think i eat that much in a day.
    I'll be the first to admit that while I LOVE vegetables, there's no way I get that many servings a day. I do eat lots of vegetable "medleys", meaning I eat a mix of different types of vegetables in one serving. My favorite is the "california" blend; broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. I also buy the Birds Eye Asian veggie medleys. But there are some days I don't get many veggies at all. Like today so far all I've had is lettuce, tomato and onion on a grilled chicken sandwich. But I plan to later eat more onion and roasted red pepper in a spinach wrap. Yeah, I know, there's not enough spinach in the wraps to be considered a veggie serving, I just eat them because I love 'em.