Old 07-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default How To Make Veggie Juice Taste Better!??

My mom bought me vegetable juice (8 vegetable) and it tastes like tomatos and celery and tastes just awful to me, I thought it would be an easier way to get in my veggies, since Im not one for eating them either....does anyone have a way to make it taste better? Something to mix it with or something??? I really need to work on getting in more veggies and fruits but it seems hopeless to me!!
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #2  

I don't care for V8-type juices, but I don't mind tomato juice in small doses, ice-cold. Don't bother with the V8 Splash juices -- the regular ones are full of sugar, the sugar-free ones don't offer much other than Vitamins A & C.

Keep trying vegetables prepared in lots of different ways. They can be tucked in and around just about any food you care to mention, cut up in small bits. Just keep experimenting: raw, cooked, fresh, frozen, steamed, grilled, roasted, sauteed, seasoned 9 ways to Sunday. It may take a while but the process will help you find things that are palatable to you, AND you'll get more used to eating them in the first place. Same with fruits.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:57 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I heard that V-8 has a spicy version of their juice.... lots of folks rave about it so you might wanna buy a can to try.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #4  
it's always something

I LOVE V-8 juice I've never tried the spicy version, though. A glass of V-8 before a meal can help you fill up faster without eating as much.

When we were kids, Mom used to put a dash of Worcestershire sauce in our v-8. Maybe that will help.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Until you get used to the taste of it, keep it in the coldest part of the fridge. When you pour a glass for yourself, add a splash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of black pepper. Then chug it down. Eventually you'll develop a taste for it. I can drink it from the can now, even at room temp.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I LOVE V-8 juice I've never tried the spicy version, though. A glass of V-8 before a meal can help you fill up faster without eating as much.

When we were kids, Mom used to put a dash of Worcestershire sauce in our v-8. Maybe that will help.

Suzanne - I haven't had V8 Juice in AGES. Now I want one!!!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:54 AM   #7  

I always drink mine over ice. I add pepper and sometimes a little hot sauce to it!! It took awhile...the first time I had it about 5 years ago I couldn't stand it, but one hot day I was at a friends and had it over ice...with pepper and it tasted good!
Now I buy the low sodium kind...and it is NOT as good...lol so I add extra pepper!!! lol
shortiemetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #8  
prepare for the BEST time

I go through about 1-2 large bottles of V-8 every week.....I have it for breakfast, snack with a big stalk of celery,(before I crash and overeat)......I buy the low-sodium and regular and mix it 1/2 & 1/2, with extra lemon, tabasco....but I've forgotten Whoshter.

I wish I knew how to make it! I have so many extra tomatoes...
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #9  

Default Warm?

I hate tomato juice cold, but love it at room temp.

I have a friend that throws in a splash of worchestershire sauce. She says it tastes almost like a bloody mary...
Alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie14
My mom bought me vegetable juice (8 vegetable) and it tastes like tomatos and celery and tastes just awful to me, I thought it would be an easier way to get in my veggies, since Im not one for eating them either....does anyone have a way to make it taste better? Something to mix it with or something??? I really need to work on getting in more veggies and fruits but it seems hopeless to me!!
This is a question to which I didn't find a good answer yet. Maybe we need to get used to the tomato taste ... You can't mix it with anything other than veggies ... .. or ice ... maybe.
Sarah27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:39 AM   #11  
Cynical RedHead

I don't really have any advice, but just had to chime in - I drink a 12 oz. can of V-8 at least every other day as my mid-morning snack; but I HATE it. I keep it ice cold, and then try to drink it within 15-20 minutes so it doesn't get too warm.

Normally, if i dislike something so much, I would simply not eat it, but i figure that V-8 is so good for you, it won't kill me. I definitely like the low-sodium version more, (actually, i hate it less ) but I buy it by the case at Costco, and they typically carry only the regular kind.
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I hate tomato and V-8 juice cold, but I mix either in equal parts with canned fat free chicken broth or with water and chicken broth powder (like bouillon, but not as salty). I heat it on the stove or in the microwave, and instant vegetable soup.

Usually I have it as a meal, so I often add a little cabbage and/or any other leftover cooked veggies, a bit of rice or a few pasta noodles, or some left over chicken.

I use a single serving can most of the time, otherwise I end up with a huge pot of soup.

You also want to make sure that the chicken broth isn't too high in sodium, because tomato and vegetable juices are often a litte higher in sodium anyway. If I have more than one serving of the V-8 "soup" I try to drink an extra glass or two of water to keep from retaining water from the extra sodium.

Colleen
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote