Old 07-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #16  
~ Trying again ~

I can relate 100% to Jillybean720!

When I am dieting, I have the worst time with veggies! I will buy the frozen bags and keep them in my freezer, though I rarely eat them.

Just about the only veggies I will eat are:
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Lettuce (if it's ONLY in a salad)
Carrots (they have to be mushy, like cooked with something)
Asparagus
Broccoli (if it is cooked, and tender)

I refuse to eat peppers, radishes, onions, spinach, celary, or anything else that is not on my list above

My family has told me the same thing, that because I didn't like them when I was little, doesn't mean I won't like them now. All I can say is..."No...I don't like them!"

Sometimes I feel like I want to bust out the Dr. Suess book 'Green Eggs & Ham' except replace it with 'Green Veggies & Ham' (since I don't like Ham either LOL)...And I will not eat them...Sam I am!!!

Some people don't believe me...but when I do eat any of these veggies that are on my 'no-no' list - I get a headache! Especially onions! That is a guaranteed headache! So I just say I am allergic to veggies...LOL.
starting_over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #17  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by starting_over
Some people don't believe me...but when I do eat any of these veggies that are on my 'no-no' list - I get a headache! Especially onions! That is a guaranteed headache! So I just say I am allergic to veggies...LOL.
LOL I used to hate tomatoes so much that I would tell restaurants I was actually allergic so I would know they were careful to not put it on, or if they did put it on and took it off, they would make me a new plate so the seeds and juice wouldn't be on my food. How bad am I?! I don't get that freaky over tomatoes anymore, though. A seed or bit of juice here or there really isn't going to kill me
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #18  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Here's another vote for the broccoli slaw.

It's good with a little fat free ranch as a side dish when I'm jonesing for cole slaw.

I use it a lot when I'm sauteeing veggies for dinner. I dislike boiled veggies, so I use a spray of Pam or a little bit of butter (carefully measured, of course), and saute onions and zucchini, or peas and beans from the garden, and then add a handful of broccoli slaw at the end.

I also use it when I'm making rice pilaf. I buy a brown texmati rice and bean mix (just rice and some beans -- no salt or flavoring), and while it's cooking up I sautee onion and broccoli slaw, and add a handful of baby spinach or frozen spinach at the end. Then mix the veggies in with the rice, season, and serve as a side dish to whatever we're having. It's really good with grilled meats.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #19  

Height: 5'4"

I also like putting them in spaghetti sauce (especially things like zucchini), soups, chili, eggs, pizza. I also love tex-mex, so fajitas and salsa are great! Salads are good as long as I don't go overboard on full-fat salad dressing (for me a typical salad is lettuce from the ready-to-eat bags, so any veggies add interest). And a biggie is to seek the veggies I like! I can tolerate canned green beans as a side at dinner, but I really love fresh green beans, fresh tomatoes, and grilled squash!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

I'd suggest looking for 'new' veggies - if there's a farmer's market in your area, check 'em out - you might find something new and delicious...

Anyone tried asian long beans? They are so crisp and tasty!

I will do frozen in a pinch, but I just can't tolerate canned veggies, they taste stale to me.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:07 PM   #21  

you can add spinich to ANYTHING you make. Especially things like pasta sauces and soup. it doesn't change the taste at all, just the texture a little bit.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #22  

Default confessions

I do not sneak veggies. I'm out of the closet when it comes to eating my veggies. I like them in stirfrys as side dishes and yes sometime you might catch me eating them all alone. Okay now you know.

veggies are your friend

flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #23  
resident weirdo

They come in my lean cuisines
kittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM   #24  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Yes, veggies are your friend, but for those of us who hate veggies, sneaking them in is the only way!

I, for one, have fallen off the veggie wagon. I was eating some in stir-fry dishes, salads, and such, but I just haven't been eating them at all lately. My salad consists of lettuce, onion, and the occasional cucumber as the only vegetables (not much for actual nutritional value!).

And it certainly isn't for lack of trying! When I go grocery shopping, my boyfriend constantly questions my motvives for buying veggies he knows I won't actually eat. He says I am wasting my time and money--I prepare them every which way I can find (internet is great for recipe searching!), and yet I can never finish all my veggies. I told him I have to keep trying because they are so GOOD for you! I have bags of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and sugar snap peas in my freezer (I don't shop oftenenough to buy fresh and use them before they go bad). But yet, I have not found a way (roasted, stewed, raw, steamed, boiled, grilled...) that I actually like anything other than potatoes and corn (which I know are really starches) and lettuce and a few small slices of cucumber. Many others actually make me physically gag.

Of course, I have always been a pretty picky eater. The only meats I eat are chicken, ground turkey (do not like roasted turkey--people think I'm insane at Thanksgiving!), and ham. I occasionaly eat beef in the form of burgers, but nothing like steak or pork chops or anything like that (yuck!), so veggies are not the only foods my taste buds reject
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:20 AM   #25  

The veggie-haters might like to try the winter squashes - butternut, acorn, etc. They can be a lot like mashed potatoes in texture, but with lots more good vitamins and minerals. And really easy to cook! Just cut one in half, place it facedown on a plate, and microwave for 8 to 10 minutes. (Or, put facedown in a shallow pan with .5" water, and cook in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.) Scrape out the now-soft insides, and mash them. Good with salt and pepper mixed in, or for those with a sweet tooth, a little butter and some brown sugar.
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:47 PM   #26  
Work in Progress

This isn't a sneak but sometimes I get overly ambitous when buying fresh veggies and they all need to be cooked at one time or they will end up the trash.....so what I started doing, especially good for low carbing, but you can use misto if your watching calories. I buy the disposable cooking trays from the local food supplier, so i wil slice the veggies long...so I will take anything, starting on the bottom with the veggies that take the longest (potatos, eggplant) and sprinkle salt and pepper and olive oil in between each layer. I top it with sliced tomatos and parmesian cheese. I then bake it for about 20 -30 minutes. The veggies last another 3-4 days and I use them in everything, eggs, as a side dish, chopped over roasted chicken.....It also make an excellent pot luck dish...you can add some bread crumbs to the cheese and it will be really crunchy... I just like this one because I can make use of whatever is about to go bad.....I just made one with red onions, eggplant, zucchini, some broccoli and fennel leftover from some friends over the other night for dinner and it was on a veggie platter......
Rowan Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:33 AM   #27  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I like to puree canned or frozen spinach and add it to my thick and delicious spaghetti sauce. We love veggies anyway, but even our non-veggie-loving friends and family don't notice it's there.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 PM   #28  
Ready to be a BIG loser

Arrow Another veggie-challenged chimes in!

Hi all! I was looking for some other forums that might interest me, and veggie-challenged is certainly me! I enjoyed reading your messages.

Jillybean: I'm SO with you on the veggie tale. I like very few vegetables, and the ones I do are so high-starchy (corn, potatoes, green beans...) I love them in my Chinese food, but all that other crap just about cancels out the healthy side of veggies in those dishes.

Kittie: I do lots of Lean Cuisines, too, and they are pretty sneaky in getting them in there. Sometimes I don't even notice that much. LC and Smart Ones are pretty tasty dishes; it's the snacking that gets me!

Fikus: You're right about spinach. Only recently did I discover that I actually like some people's greens (turnip greens, mustard greens, etc.) But only a couple of people I know make them tasty; otherwise...yuck.

I guess I do like a few others: red/green peppers, dill pickles, onions, broccoli, carrots (sometimes). I just don't do a great job of motivating myself to eat them; I'd rather have the cheese crackers or chocolate pieces!

Have a great day...
hevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #29  
Brit Chick

Talking Soup - a good way to "hide" the veggies

Hi,

Now that winter is just around the corner, it's a good time to think about making soup! I make soup out of just about everything but the kitchen sink! Creamed soups (pureed veggies) taste great and are good if you don't like the texture of veggies. I posted a REALLY easy recipe for cream of artichoke soup recently on the Recipes forum.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #30  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Oh, I love soups and stews. They're just the trick with the cooler weather coming. Howie even asked me to thaw some of the smoked turkey and bean soup for him yesterday. You know it's fall when my husband asks for beans, LOL! I could eat 'em every day, but he isn't quite the legume fan that I am. He's getting there, though.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote