Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 PM   #16  
Empress/Queen

That does look good Solus. I don't have that many ingredients right now but am going to make a broc/cheese soup soon. I envy you your outdoor herb garden. I had one when I lived in the midwest, but never was successful with them here (Arizona). It's hot today and I made a kind of juice out of frozen unsweetened blueberries and cold water in the mini blender. Of course, blueberries don't count as a vegetable ... too bad! I'll post my success tomorrow! See ya!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:41 PM   #17  
Chubbles

ok tomorrow i officially start my atkins diet plan...but tonight i tried another new veggie! I did the tomatos again, but had some red onions on my sandwich too! I had the Chicken Bourbon sandwich at quiznos, it had chicken, lettuce, tomatos, red onions and some weird REALLY zesty sauce hehe. Not sure if it was completely healthy but ill start worrying about that part tomorrow when i get on my diet. I actually couldn't taste the red onions, so im assuming they were good...but that zesty sauce pretty much masked the taste of the entire sandwich! Tomorrow I plan trying zucchinis or cucumbers I think...but that all depends on how my grocery trip goes...gah ive never been this scared of going to the freaking grocery store!!
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:25 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

A hint on cucumbers. Go for the thinner ones, as the fat ones are really seedy. Some people don't like the seeds...and they also tend to make one a little gassy. Peel then before you eat them. They're best raw. Zuccinni on the other hand, should be cooked.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #19  
Empress/Queen

My mom used to make things with cucumbers! She'd peel 'em, cut into long wedges and macerate in salt water (soak and then squeeze out the excess water and seeds ... probably the vitamins, too, dunno). Then she'd batter 'em and fry 'em (sort of like fried green tomatoes, which she also made). Another thing was to peel 'em and slice (don't macerate) and mix with yogurt and Greek seasonings. Hmmm. That was good!

At any rate, last night I didn't want soup so had a serving of baby brussels sprouts, steamed in microwave and then topped with a half piece of Velveeta cheese (adding the fat is actually better for my blood sugar than eating the vege alone, though I should be using fat free ... and anyhow it tastes better). Today I am going to saute mushrooms for my midmorning snack (having decided they count as a vegetable) and melt the other half of the cheese slice ... this is an idea I got from a friend!

Greetings to Solus and Breakfastsurreal!!! Surreal, your sandwich sounds like a great way to get the vege in!!!

Solus, zucchini bread might be an option also!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #20  

I had leftover soup from last night so I ate it for lunch. Thinking about making a "yellow" soup tonight with squash and cauliflower. I HATE cauliflower so I am trying to find ways to eat it. I may try roasting the squash and cauliflower too based on an idea someone else posted under this forum.

Amarantha, what is zucchini bread?

BTW, congrats on the broccoli. I can't eat it even with cheese on it. *shudder*
Old 06-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #21  
Empress/Queen

Solus, zucchini bread is just a sweet quick bread (like I don't eat anymore) ... falls into the category of carrot bread, pumpkin bread, date bread, banana bread, etc. Recipes all over the place!

I posted on the other thread here in the hate-vege forum about my mom's cauliflower pickles ... I'll try to find a recipe (gotta go work a meeting now).

Today I did have the mushrooms and cheese ... my version of my friend's recipe ... very good ... I threw in a little tuna, but the mushrooms predominated. I just did it in the microwave ... too hot here to cook (my house only has window AC in three rooms so it stays kinda warm).
Old 06-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #22  
deleted2

Hi Amarantha!

Just wondering...is it the vegs you hate or the preparation? I'm a veggie lover and have lots of tricks! I love the idea of lettuce wraps, by the way. That was you, Solus, right?

If you're not keen on preparation, buy the pre-washed pre-cut stuff at the store,[love that!] or buy some veggies at the in-store salad bar. And pizza makes a fine disguise for vegetables too!

Keep thinking green thoughts, everybody!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #23  
Empress/Queen

Hi, E!!! It's the vege!

I am sending you another pm on a different topic. Please read!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #24  
Chubbles

yesterday i had spinach (raw not canned!) and onions(NOT raw lol) I liked both...last night i made an omelette with tomatos, onions, bits of grilled chicken, and spinach and cheese! it was awesome! Go atkins! lol
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #25  
Empress/Queen

Sounds good, Breakfastsurreal! I'm havin' multiple logistic problems today but will get SOME kinda vege in! Somewhere, sometime, when I least expect it!

Hi, Solus!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #26  

Today I had baby carrots and grape tomatos with my sandwich instead of crackers.

Going to tryyyy roasted squash tonight...didn't do it last night like I thought.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #27  
Empress/Queen

[color]Sigh. I never got around to having a veggie! They just aren't portable![/color]
Old 06-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #28  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Grilled Portabello Mushrooms w/Garlic Hummus

Check out this recipe..not only is it fast, the hummus can be any flavor you like (garlic mmmmmm).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._25828,00.html

4 large portobello mushrooms
Sea salt, preferably gray sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper
Olive Oil
1 (8-ounce) container hummus
Feta cheese
1 loaf good crusty bread, cut into 4 sections (I would leave the bread out to save calories)

Preheat the grill.
Pop out the stem from all of your portobello mushrooms.

Season both sides of mushrooms. Start by drizzling olive oil (not too much, just a slight drizzle), some salt and fresh black pepper.

Cook mushrooms over a hot fire for about 4 minutes on each side.

Meanwhile: Split the pieces of bread, and pull out some of the soft center to make a hole for the mushroom burger. Place the bread face down on the grill to toast.

Place the mushroom burger in the bread, and top with a tablespoon of hummus and a chunk of feta cheese right in the middle and cover with a piece of bread.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:28 AM   #29  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha
[color]Sigh. I never got around to having a veggie! They just aren't portable![/color]
How about sticking some ff dip in a cooler w/some veggies to dip
I noticed in the produce section of our store they have little "on the go" packs of carrots & dip. Great Idea!!!

Or open a can of veggie soup and throw it in a thermos to take with you.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #30  
Empress/Queen

Leenie, these are great ideas!!! Thanks! I don't eat carrots because they bother my blood sugar, but cauliflower and brock chunks would be good. I might make my own dip with ff cottage cheese and curry powder ... it'd keep ok in a cooler for a few hours.

The mushroom burger looks delish ... must try! Thanks!

To be honest, I'm pretty much off the vege-a-day challenge now as it's been two days since I had anything. I'm somewhat hopeless, but am going to try that dip thing today!!