Old 05-18-2005, 06:20 PM   #1  

Default I HATE veggies...

so...I was wondering if you all would give me any tips/suggestions that I can do to get my veggie intake up? I do like corn and potato, but as for the green stuff ...I can do w/out! Please help me, I really need to start eating better....MUCH better!
AUGUST427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #2  

I have the same problem I can't stand green veggies everytime I even try to eat them I gag on them. I was feeling like I was the only one out there with this problem.
Skysthelimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #3  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I dont like alot of veggies either, some I like but I dont eat them very often, I prefer fruit..
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #4  
stbakd

try drinking veggie juice. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:01 AM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

How about raw veggies? Broccoli, cauliflower, peppers and carrots go well with a ff dip. Soup? YOu can cook up a really good veggie soup, and if having them "whole" in there bothers you, puree it. You can grate up zucchini, and other veggies, and add them to spaghetti sauce. Oh, and roasted veggies are really good. It seems to bring out their sweetness. Maybe you could make it a goal to try one new veggie a week?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:06 AM   #6  
it's always something

I used to dislike veggies, but then I found I just wasn't a good cook Now I enjoy them more, because I experiment with more techniques and recipes.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:34 AM   #7  

Thanks you all for the suggestions! And, Suzanne...maybe that's my problem as well! I guess I will try to buy a couple of recipe books!
AUGUST427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefty1
try drinking veggie juice. glen
Use the low-sodium & for a twist, put in a big glass w/a can of lemon-flavored seltzer.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #9  

You've gotten some great ideas here. I do agree that experimenting with different types of vegetables, and different methods of preparation, are the way to go. Good for you for looking for solutions to this issue rather than throwing up your hands and giving up.

Can I mention something else? I have come to firmly believe in the power of language. When we are trying to change something as fundamental as our eating habits, it's especially important. You've got a long-ingrained set of preferences that you are trying -- to your very great credit -- to change. Towards that end, I think it's crucial to change the way you talk to yourself about it. Every time you say, "I HATE veggies," you are only reinforcing the idea in your dino brain, even though your logical human brain is trying to change that. If you keep saying that, you may learn to eat some vegetables and even like them, but your Inner Dinosaur will still be rebelling against the idea, and it'll always be an inner fight.

Can you try to change the tape in your head? Every time the Dino says, "I hate vegetables," let your Logical Human say, "I know I don't care for vegetables right now, but they are important to my health and I am working on learning to like them." Say this even if you don't really believe it. You will be amazed at how this will, over time, change your emotional state about the issue and make it easier to deal with.

Self-talk is one of the most important tools we have; unfortunately it's also one of the most destructive when it's negative. The same techniques apply whether you are talking about healthy foods, exercise, methods for dealing with emotions other than eating, or whatever. The more POSITIVE talk you engage in when trying to change habits, the more quickly and easily the change can take place. That's not to say it's a guarantee, but you certainly give yourself every advantage by countering those negative statements.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:44 PM   #10  

I have found that I like more veggies as I get older. Like spinach. I have a really good low fat creamed spinach that is so good. Finding different ways to cook it sure makes a difference.
Iwunder01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #11  

I've had a fruit a veggie bar before, like fruit leather, but with veggies as well. It was 2 servings of fruit and 1 serving of veggies in about a 2oz bar, and not too bad, definately not veggie like.
CassandraA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:29 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwunder01
I have found that I like more veggies as I get older. Like spinach. I have a really good low fat creamed spinach that is so good. Finding different ways to cook it sure makes a difference.
Recipe please? I loved creamed spinach, but have been avoiding it due the calories.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:55 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

This is Ilene's recipe, and while it doesn't look awfully appetizint, it is really good.

Creamed Spinach

2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen leaf spinach (do not thaw)

1½ cups low-fat cottage cheese

2½ tablespoons unsalted butter

In a large saucepan with a cover, combine ½ cup water and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Add the frozen spinach and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring several times, for 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a colander, being sure to shake out all of the water. Pat dry with paper towels.

Transfer the hot spinach to a food processor. Add cottage cheese and all but 1 teaspoon of the butter. Process until very smooth. Return to the saucepan. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Heat gently and transfer to a warm bowl. Place the remaining butter on top and serve. Makes 8 servings.

(I leave out the butter, and can't tell the difference)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:55 PM   #14  
Wellness*Body*Mind*Spirit

S/C/G: 320/320/?

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl

Can I mention something else? I have come to firmly believe in the power of language. When we are trying to change something as fundamental as our eating habits, it's especially important. really believe it. You will be amazed at how this will, over time, change your emotional state about the issue and make it easier to deal with.

I agree 100%!!! Languaging is very important. If you can begin to change your language in relation to what it is you are seeking to change it *will* change more effortlessly!

You manifest your reality by the language you choose and the thought you think, so perhaps beginning to say something to the effect of "I am enjoying increasing they variety and amount of vegetables that I eat." is a good start.

All that being said, I am vegan and eat mostly vegetables! I do like fruits and grains, but the bulk of my diet is green leafy vegetables, beans, legumes and the like! I like *all* vegetables, even just steamed plain or raw.

Part of what makes me like them is knowing how good they are for me and how vital to good health and disease prevention consuming as many serving of vegetables *is* for me!

I started a thread, "Voluptuous Veggies" and it's a 5-10 servings a day challenge, so I encourage you all to post there, share ideas and get encouragement!

I suggest getting a few good cookbooks to help you find some creative ways to eat veggies. Do you like pasta and sauce? You can sneak steamed pureed veggies into nearly any pasta sauce and it's easy to get down that way. Also, when making bean dishes you can put kale or swiss chard or spinach in them and they go quite nicely. Please PM me if you need any recipes or suggestions
Vegan Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #15  
missaprylj

You said you like corn and potatos? Great. Next time you make a can of corn, throw in a can of green beans. Next time you make mashed potatoes, throw in some cooked broccoli! The possibilities are endless. Also, try putting ONE leaf of lettuce on every sandwich or burger you eat. That can add up over time. Also try making smoothies with carrot juice or a little V8. Just some ideas.