Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #1  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

Default Anyone else have veggies you like but still don't eat them?

I really like cucumbers and bell peppers. The only veggies that I really think tastes good. But, getting myself to get them out of the fridge is another story. They are healthy, I like them....so why do they usually sit in my fridge until they go bad! It's one thing to not like them and they sit there, but I do like them. Am I really that lazy?! Anyone else?
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I'm with you. I always buy all the stuff to make nice big healthy salads, and there are just weeks where it will sit and go bad. I feel terrible every time it happens.

One thing that helps is taking the time when you get home from the store (or shortly after!) to prep the veggies. I'll dice up peppers right away, put half in the fridge and half in the freezer (Fridge for salads and such, freezer to toss into cooking things like eggs or sauce) Peel carrots and julienne them. Prepping as much as you can in advance makes it that much easier to just grab it out of the fridge and go. Have you ever bought mini cukes? They are a bit more expensive than a regular long English, but if you're willing to pay a bit more for convenience it might be worth a try. No need to slice and dice, just grab and munch!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #3  
Haley wants to run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I'm with you. I always buy all the stuff to make nice big healthy salads, and there are just weeks where it will sit and go bad. I feel terrible every time it happens.

One thing that helps is taking the time when you get home from the store (or shortly after!) to prep the veggies. I'll dice up peppers right away, put half in the fridge and half in the freezer (Fridge for salads and such, freezer to toss into cooking things like eggs or sauce) Peel carrots and julienne them. Prepping as much as you can in advance makes it that much easier to just grab it out of the fridge and go. Have you ever bought mini cukes? They are a bit more expensive than a regular long English, but if you're willing to pay a bit more for convenience it might be worth a try. No need to slice and dice, just grab and munch!
I do buy the mini cukes. By the time I get home and put everything away I'm so irritated because my kitchen is so small and I've had to battle the counters to keep things from falling and I'm so mad I just have to get out of there. lol. oh my I have issues.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love most veggies, but to eat as much as I should, I need to have them conveniently prepared in advance, easily accessible, and very visible (in the crisper - out of sight, out of mind).

I made a huge batch of roasted brussels sprouts several days ago. I thought about making them nearly a week before I actually did, but once I finally did, I ate the whole batch in two days. I even reached for them as a snack because they're even good cold and the huge bowl was staring at me ever time I opened the fridge.

I do the same with bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms - sautee, simmered or roasted in a huge batcc - then easy to eat with any and every meal (awesome in an osmelette or scrambled eggs, or over a baked potato).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

If you are just letting them rot in their "whole" state, then buy them prepped and use them. They may look expensive all prepped, but really, it's less expensive because you aren't throwing them out.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley8203 View Post
I do buy the mini cukes. By the time I get home and put everything away I'm so irritated because my kitchen is so small and I've had to battle the counters to keep things from falling and I'm so mad I just have to get out of there. lol. oh my I have issues.
Sounds like your battle has less to do with the veggies themselves and more to do with your kitchen woes lol!

Do you have a kitchen table that you can do all your veggie prep on? How about laying a cutting board over your sink or stove to give you a bit more space? Heck, if there is room, why not on a coffee table! (might make slicing and dicing awkward though )

Maybe this is the kick in the pants to get your spring cleaning started and tackle your kitchen! (I'm not suggesting your kitchen is messy!) Get rid of (sell!) things you don't use or need, organize your cupboards. Go vertical with your storage! Hang things on the inside of doors, whatever you need to do to make your kitchen a less rage inducing room!

If my kitchen is messy and dishes aren't done, it just perpetuates my "I'm too lazy to do cleaning BEFORE I cook, so why bother" problem. Then I end up convincing my boyfriend to take me out for food instead
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #7  
Tir Asleen

S/C/G: 215/211/145

Height: 5'1

Yes, I eat my veggies but a lot goes to waste.
TirAsleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #8  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Height: 5'6"

I frequently see veggies rot in the fridge also! The only way I don't is when I add them to smoothies in my Vitamix (spinach, kale, carrots). That's been the best way for me to eat veggies, because I actually don't like them much!
Yogini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

We are such HUGE veggie eaters that it seems unfathomable to let them rot. The only time that happens in our house is if I or my husband gets sick and stops eating most foods for a few days.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

For me it's the ones that are harder to prepare. I've got a butternut squash on the counter that I *must* cook soon but I ignore it because preparing them is a pain in the rear. But I'll try to remember to do it tonight, because I don't want it to go bad.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #11  
Haley wants to run!

My kitchen issues is that I have very little counter space. I could do the prep on my kitchen table...Good idea thanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #12  
it's always something

I have a cutting board that fits over my kitchen sink, so that's handy.

I use plastic storage containers that are designed to extend the life of fresh (raw) vegetables, which helps a lot. Evertgreen bags work very well. Kenetic GoGreen containers also work. I found Kenetic GoGreen at TJ Maxx for a fraction of what Amazon charged. The Evertgreen bag prices are pretty standard and I buy them locally, but they are also online. They can be reused many times, just carefully rinse and stand them upside down over a glass or something in your dish drainer to dry.

I do eat a lot of fresh vegetables daily, but I use the special containers so that I can buy in bulk and save money. If I buy too much and can't store it properly, then it spoils. I can buy 6 heads of Romaine for $4 at Sams, so I buy a dozen at a time. I put them in the Evertfresh bags and tuck the ends under so air doesn't escape, and put them in my fridge. I've never had to toss one for spoilage. I also store sweet bell peppers in them. I store cukes in the GoGreen boxes, and make sure they are dry before I store them. You can also prep your veggies before storing them. The containers make it easy to organize the fridge
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #13  
Haley wants to run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I have a cutting board that fits over my kitchen sink, so that's handy.

I use plastic storage containers that are designed to extend the life of fresh (raw) vegetables, which helps a lot. Evertgreen bags work very well. Kenetic GoGreen containers also work. I found Kenetic GoGreen at TJ Maxx for a fraction of what Amazon charged. The Evertgreen bag prices are pretty standard and I buy them locally, but they are also online. They can be reused many times, just carefully rinse and stand them upside down over a glass or something in your dish drainer to dry.

I do eat a lot of fresh vegetables daily, but I use the special containers so that I can buy in bulk and save money. If I buy too much and can't store it properly, then it spoils. I can buy 6 heads of Romaine for $4 at Sams, so I buy a dozen at a time. I put them in the Evertfresh bags and tuck the ends under so air doesn't escape, and put them in my fridge. I've never had to toss one for spoilage. I also store sweet bell peppers in them. I store cukes in the GoGreen boxes, and make sure they are dry before I store them. You can also prep your veggies before storing them. The containers make it easy to organize the fridge
wow i didn't realize they had containers that work that well I'll check that out. Along with an over the sink cutting board! Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #14  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

One thing you can do if you have a lot of veggies in the fridge and you want to use them before they go bad is to sautee them up together into one big "vegetable stir fry". I did this on Sunday when I had a lot of leftover veggies from salads throughout the week. You'd be surprised how many veggies pair well together when sauteed in yummy olive oil with your seasonings of choice
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #15  
Optifast 70 User

S/C/G: 245/186/179

I am the same way. The only vegetables I really like are carrots and broccoli... but they too end up sitting in my fridge.
floralshorts is offline   Reply With Quote