Trying not to envy people who effortlessly prefer vegetables

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Since I eat mostly meat and fat, with no more grain in my diet, I actually have veggie cravings now. But there will always be some veggies I will never touch.
  • I grew up eating a lot of starchy foods because they were cheap and filled you up. We only had vegetables a couple times a week and it was always peas, corn or green beans. I recently started eating a lot of different vegetables and I haven't found very many that I don't like. I started eating them because they are so low in calorie I thought if I filled up on vegetables I wouldn't have room for the fattening stuff. I don't like salads much because I like my food warm or hot, so mostly I eat cooked vegetables. Occasionally I find myself craving brussels sprouts the way other people crave sweets!

I think if you choose one new vegetable to try each week and find different ways to prepare them you might eventually start to like them.
  • Quote: And if that's not enough to evoke envy that they gravitate towards vegetables, usually these same people have a natural aversion to fattening foods - sweets, greasy stuff, starchy stuff.

It's just not fair!
    I'm here to tell you it's possible to love veggies AND crave fattening food, though not ar the same time!

Quote: I grew up eating a lot of starchy foods because they were cheap and filled you up. We only had vegetables a couple times a week and it was always peas, corn or green beans. I recently started eating a lot of different vegetables and I haven't found very many that I don't like. I started eating them because they are so low in calorie I thought if I filled up on vegetables I wouldn't have room for the fattening stuff. I don't like salads much because I like my food warm or hot, so mostly I eat cooked vegetables. Occasionally I find myself craving brussels sprouts the way other people crave sweets!

I think if you choose one new vegetable to try each week and find different ways to prepare them you might eventually start to like them.
    This is me. Except I like salads, too, for the crunchiness. The less junk food you eat, the better veggies taste. I'd suggest finding one or two that you can tolerate and are easy to make, for starters.

For me, that was a steamed cauliflower. No prep but trim the leaves and stem, put it in a covered sauce pan with a little water ~3/4 inch. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, usually from 18 to 25 min depending on the size and how soft you like it. If you simmer it in fat free chicken broth, its extra yummy. I like it better than mashed potatoes.
  • I was never a big veggie eater growing up, I hated vegetable soup so much! I would not eat tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, asparagus, beets...

Well I eat them all now and I can't get enough!! I think the brain adjusts to new tastes if you keep on going. Obviously some you won't ever like (can't eat mushrooms at all), but I think you can definitely grow to like most of them!