Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Ready made vegetable juice....good for you?

I've recently rediscovered bottled vegetable juice (I get the store brand of V8; less additives). I find that it takes the edge off when I get that "reach for a snack" feeling. It's only 50 Cal for one cup. I know it's not as good as the raw veg, but it's quick and I'll be able to take it to my classroom when school stRts back up.

Whenever my tomatoes ripen, I plan on trying to make my own.....

Do any of make your own/store bought? If you make your own, did you get a vitamix or just food processor/blender? What veg do you use?

Sorry for so many Qs, but I'm just getting into this
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/188/138

Height: 5'5"

Wink

I just saw this post, and while I cannot offer advice, I DO like the idea of having some veggie juice at school. I really need a snack around 9 a.m. and that would be perfect!! I hate to eat in front of the students, but with diabetes this might be a good option and would hold me over until lunch at 11-ish Just gotta check those carbs...
LRAQUILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #3  

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to school, because it eliminates a lot of temptation for me. I actually eat less, it's just a matter of packing better choices in that lunchbox. There's a fridge real close to my room that I'll be able to keep a large container and f juice in for the week. Fingers crossed I stay strong
Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #4  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I love veggie juices! (I am not making them currently because I am on a weight loss plan that specifies exactly 4 cups of veggies per day and I don't want to drink them.) I use a high-speed blender so these are whole juices, meaning all the fiber is still in there. Mine was quite pricey, $400 or so, but I use it almost every day and there is no comparison to my old "regular" blender. If you use a high-speed blender (Vitamix, Blendtec, there may be others in that category that I don't know about), you may want to add some ice into whole veggie juices so they don't get too hot while blending. It is a LOT of work to pulverize celery, carrots, beets etc.

I have made homemade V-8 juice but I still haven't gotten the proportions exactly right (still delicious, just not like V-8 juice). Hint: it is mostly tomato and surprisingly little of the other ingredients.

Quote:
V-8 Juice includes Tomatoes, Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress and Spinach

http://eatrealfood.ws/homemade-v8/
  • 2-3 firm tomatoes
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • 1 carrot
  • 1/4 of a beet
Then add spinach, lettuce, parsley, and watercress to taste. Lettuce, parsley, and watercress are all very flavor-dense. Start with a small amounts of each, tasting the juice as you make it. A pinch of salt to taste and bit of lemon juice rounds out the flavor (V-8 uses ascorbic and citric acids).
Variations include adding red bell pepper, cucumber (starts to get like liquid gazpacho), other leafy greens...

Here is another that I really like; I like the combination of ginger/lemon juice or mint/lime juice.

Quote:
Green Juice
  • 1 1/2 cups filtered water
  • 1 cup spinach (also try other leafy greens)
  • 1/2 cup cucumber
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 1 small bunch parsley (I would start with less; very strong flavor)
  • 2 green apples (optional in my opinion, I like straight veggie juice)
  • 1/2 inch ginger (or mint leaves to taste)
  • Juice 1 lime or lemon
  • 1 1/2 cups ice
You can try adding avocado to that one as well.

Another hint: Lemon juice often VASTLY improves the flavor of veggie juices, it knocks back an overpowering veggie flavor. Our sons will drink veggie juice happily if there is enough carrot/apple to make it sweet and lemon juice to cut the bitterness.

Enjoy experimenting!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
I love veggie juices! (I am not making them currently because I am on a weight loss plan that specifies exactly 4 cups of veggies per day and I don't want to drink them.) I use a high-speed blender so these are whole juices, meaning all the fiber is still in there. Mine was quite pricey, $400 or so, but I use it almost every day and there is no comparison to my old "regular" blender. If you use a high-speed blender (Vitamix, Blendtec, there may be others in that category that I don't know about), you may want to add some ice into whole veggie juices so they don't get too hot while blending. It is a LOT of work to pulverize celery, carrots, beets etc.

I have made homemade V-8 juice but I still haven't gotten the proportions exactly right (still delicious, just not like V-8 juice). Hint: it is mostly tomato and surprisingly little of the other ingredients.

Variations include adding red bell pepper, cucumber (starts to get like liquid gazpacho), other leafy greens...

Here is another that I really like; I like the combination of ginger/lemon juice or mint/lime juice.

You can try adding avocado to that one as well.

Another hint: Lemon juice often VASTLY improves the flavor of veggie juices, it knocks back an overpowering veggie flavor. Our sons will drink veggie juice happily if there is enough carrot/apple to make it sweet and lemon juice to cut the bitterness.

Enjoy experimenting!
Thank you! Hubs thinks I should get a vitamix after hearing vegetarian friends rave about it for home preserving their veggies.