3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Veggie Challenged

Persimmons

Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #16

I love persimmons! I wasn't sure if the really soft ones were the ones to get, so I've been getting the ones that are sort of in-between. I'm going to have a try a soft one.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #17

The ones we have on our trees are between "great smasher" marble-sized and golf ball-sized. They are not the Japanese variety that you may find in grocery stores. When they are ripe, they are a nice dark orange-red color and very sweet. They usually have only one large seed (which, if you split open, will have a knife, fork or spoon in it--just a piece of trivia for you), although this year they have had numerous smaller seeds.

The texture, to me, can be descriped as "pulpy," without being stringy. Although the "pulpy" I'm thinking of is not the same "pulpy" as an orange might be. Persimmons aren't a "wet" fruit.

I wish I could box some up and send them to those of you who'd like to try them--we are really overloaded and I hate to see them go to waste!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
it's always something

I've never tried a persimmon. But you all have me curious so now I have to! Wiki offered some good info on persimmon varieties, so I'll try a few of what I can find locally and see what I think.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #19

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

4myloves: box up your persimmons and send them to Suzanne 3FC! LOL!

I can honestly say, I've never had any slight addiction to fruit, in fact, I could do without fruit altogether, really. I never crave it. But now I have an addiction to kaki persimmons.

They are so good when ripe, I never even consider how to cook with them because they are perfect the way they are. I think it is because: they don't make you pucker in anyway, even gentler than an apple. They also have a richer, buttery, brown sugar flavor.

Each Kaki, depending on size, is 80 - 120 calories (similar to a potato). So, it makes for a good, low-cal dessert.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.