Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #1  
Guy on a Diet

S/C/G: 448/253/183

Height: 6'0"

Default Anybody else sensitive to fruits?

Hi everyone,

I know this may not be the right forum, but I was wondering if anybody else is sensitive to fruits and certain other foods. For me, I'm sensitive to apples (unless stewed or juiced), oranges, and walnuts. These cause dry mouth. Oranges cause sore mouth.

I feel like a freak, and like I'd really be in trouble if I lived in olden times, pre-carnivore, pre-processed, because I basically wouldn't be able to eat, if all there was was fruit, lol. I mean how is it possible I'm sensitive to the so-called natural foods. People think it is bull****, but it is NOT. I'm ok with mango and banana and grapes.

I'm also sensitive to steak, but that's more of a fear of choking issue, so I just make sure to cut the gristle and into small pieces though I still eat that. Also sensitive to spaghetti sauce, or red punch, can cause sore mouth. But I eat these as well, lol.

So anyway, anyone else? In general I don't like veggies either, except corn and potatoes, and these aren't technically veggies, but I LOVE onions, tomatoes, and sometimes I get a craving for green beans, esp. the string variety. But that is just based on my vitamin nutrient levels I think, I will take a large bowl of ice cream over string beans any day, lol.

Also, I find if I eat the healthy foods, I get severely constipated with dry stool, very dry. But if I eat the so-called junk foods like fats or sweets I am quite regular and actually feel better, so I watch my calories basically by keeping it in control and eating my normal diet as much as possible, but it's very frustrating. There are healthy things I love like grapes.

So anyone else?

Last edited by Thin Desire; 06-09-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Thin Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

I wouldn't worry about what is so-called normal about fruits. Eat the ones you are OK with. We all have different sensitivities and allergies and sometimes they develop overtime. For instance, (unrelated) recently I broke out from wearing Dove Sensitive Skin deodorant. Supposed to be OK for skin problems right? But for me it just wasn't.

I honestly can't stand apples most of the time, and most oranges make my lips hurt. I think a change in diet takes some getting used to, just keep it up.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #3  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

I didn't start developing food allergies until I was an adult (besides peanuts).

Unfortunately the majority are fruits.

I get hives/anaphylaxis from strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, bananas.

I get really bad blisters in and around my mouth from uncooked tomatoes and some citrus (clementines and tangerines are fine).

Almost every type of melon or canteloupe gives me stomach issues (either vomiting or, you know, the other kind of stomach problems).

Don't let anyone discourage you from thinking food allergies are only the EpiPen in the thigh kind. They can manifest in many many kinds of ways.

...man I miss smoothies.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 276.5/273.2/165

Height: 5'5"

I love Strawberries, but sometimes they make my tongue hurt. Same with raw tomatoes. I've had the same thing happen with oranges as well.

For me it really depends on what I've been eating; when I have been eating poorly and not taking my vitamins, some fruits and veggies cause my tongue to hurt and become swollen. Like eggplant. Weird eh?

It does not happen all the time; right now I have been eating properly, and taking care of myself so no aggravation to my mouth at all with any kind of fruit or veggie. Thank goodness -- I don't know what I would do without fruit in the summertime!

Last edited by AzimuthRing; 07-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.
AzimuthRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'4"

Google oral allergy syndrome, there is such a thing. I get a really itchy mouth when I eat certain fruits like apples, grapes sometimes, greenish bananas. Really annoying as I like to eat all of those. I also can't eat watermelon, it gives me hives and heartburn and makes my chest feel heavy eek!
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #6  
Start Date: May.19 .0011

S/C/G: 217/213/149

I can't eat pineapple, tomato products, or any citrus fruts.
I looooooove anything lemon so I just suffer the painful sores I get from them.
rockbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/175.5/135

Height: 5'2

Don't feel like a weirdo! Bananas, unless they're the day the turn from green to yellow makes my mouth itch, and have given me hives. I have a weaker reaction to melons and cauliflower (raw) oddly enough.
patootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #8  

Never heard of anyone sensitive to fruits.
stan255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #9  
Munchberry

S/C/G: 295/215/168

Height: 5' 10"

I find apples make me hungry. My sister is sensitive to the acids in citrus. If she eats it she mixes or eats it with yogurt and that gives her some relief (mouth and stomach).

As far as constipation goes (or doesn't!) I think it is both a change in diet and the lack of fat that makes ME constipated! When I first changed my diet I COULD NOT GO and when I did it was like a brick. Eventually my body got the message that I showed the lubricant the door and it adjusted.

Congrats on all your weightloss! Very inspiring!
Hungry4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 154/126/112

Height: 5'1

Pineapples and kiwi makes my mouth feel wierd...urgh.
Patience4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #11  

Height: 4'11"

My throat gets itchy whenever I eat pineapples, apples, or kiwi
ravensglen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #12  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Exclamation It's probably an allergy or the acidity that is bothering you

I noticed ever since junior high any time I ate walnuts my mouth would hurt. Sometimes my gums would even bleed. It started with feeling like some of the papery skin between the nut and the shell was stuck in my teeth. (Felt like when popcorn kernels get stuck between your teeth.) But other times it felt like a burning sensation, as if those walnuts had been in contact with Tabasco sauce. Until a year ago I never thought much of it until the reaction was so severe my face puffed up, my tongue was swollen, my eyes nearly swollen shut, and I couldn't breathe easily. My throat was so swollen it was like breathing through a narrow straw. Those are symptoms of anaphylaxis and it is life threatening. So don't dismiss a possible food allergy.

On another note, many times I have had mouth pain from eating an excess of citrus fruit, especially pineapple. It can make my mouth raw. Usually only the fresh pineapple, not really from canned. I'd have to eat much more canned to get the same effect. I am pretty sure it's from the acidity and not a food allergy because I have gotten the same rawness of my mouth from eating copious amounts of sour candy as well.
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Just last week I realized I've developed a sensitivity to strawberries. It really stinks cause I love them. I'm fine with strawberry jam, but fresh strawberries cause blisters in my mouth. It took a week to clear up my mouth.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #14  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

ive been sensitive to apples my whole life...red apples more so than any other variety...if i eat it WITH something i am fine though, like apple pie or apple and peanut butter...but if i just eat red apples by themselves, even just part of one, it just turns my stomach inside out, crampy etc

also have noticed that strawberries will hurt my tongue and occasionally so do bananas, unless i put the banana in something like a smoothie
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Desire View Post

Also, I find if I eat the healthy foods, I get severely constipated with dry stool, very dry. But if I eat the so-called junk foods like fats or sweets I am quite regular and actually feel better, so I watch my calories basically by keeping it in control and eating my normal diet as much as possible, but it's very frustrating. There are healthy things I love like grapes.

So anyone else?
Well, I have some sort of same feeling with Apples but I get severely constipated due to junk food. Different bodies different reactions. I am worried about bad feeling after eating apples though.
fatsol is offline   Reply With Quote