3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Veggie Challenged (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged-176/)
-   -   Asparagus lover (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged/224519-asparagus-lover.html)

Cucumber Blossom 02-02-2011 01:42 AM

Asparagus lover

I love asparagus, but aside from cooking it in a stir-fry or eating it boiled/steamed, what other dishes would asparagus be good in?

ready4skinny 02-02-2011 01:50 AM

we love to grill it - toss with a little olive oil, or veg oil, grill then sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.

Also crust less quiche, eggs benedict (not very low cal).

DisgruntledOne 02-02-2011 01:52 AM

steam or boil til slighty crisp and marinate in italian dressing.

mandalinn82 02-02-2011 01:53 AM

We often roast ours on a sheet pan with a spritz of olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. For an extra special treat, I mash up a garlic clove into a paste, and combine that with lemon zest and minced parsley...toss the roasted asparagus in that, and you have something truly wonderful.

Natasha1534 02-02-2011 02:36 AM

I throw mine in a roasting pain w/ a little bit of olive oil (just enough to kinda coat it all) and some lemon pepper. YUM!!!

amandie 02-04-2011 12:26 PM

I love it with cut-up lemony chicken and some olive oil pasta. Just prepare the asparagus with some lemon juice and/or lemon pepper then mix it in. It also goes well with chicken/shrimp/plain alfredo. I was getting tired of the "usual" broccoli throw-in.

Jenset02 03-02-2011 09:49 AM

Asparagus is suppose to be good for those who have cancer. You are suppose to blend it up and take 4 tbls. a day.

jomatho 03-02-2011 10:07 AM

I like to make asparagus and mushroom omelets. Just stir fry the veggies (cut up into bite size pieces) until crisp tender or however you like them, set aside, make your omelet as usual, add the veggies and some cheese at the last minute, soooo good!

junebug41 03-02-2011 10:11 AM

I chop mushrooms and red peppers and garlic, drizzle with a little EVOO and some balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Then I cover and bake it for about 20 minutes. It makes a great side dish.

lauralyn 03-02-2011 04:07 PM

I lay a bunch out onto tinfoil and coat lightly with Olive Oil. I also sprinkle a bit of salt and garlic over them. Then I put them out on the grill or in the oven to cook...yummmm

tommy 03-03-2011 07:38 PM

Yes it is a different animal when grilled. A local Hawaiian place places grilled asparagus on top of their Chinese chicken salad. Great contrast.

Smashley 03-09-2011 08:58 PM

I like mine steamed but I also throw it in pasta sauce or on salads. I also love it in eggs florentine or on a skinny bagel and lox. Asparagus is paired perfectly with eggs I find. It really adds some fabulous flavour to the eggs.

JOLINA 03-10-2011 08:23 AM

I grow asparagus. I cut it up and put it in soup.

Asparagus helps control incontinence and odor in the elderly.
Kiwi fruit also helps.
If you know a caregiver, let them know. It will cut down on the number of pull-ups they use daily.

Asparagus is real easy to grow. Just buy a few plants this spring from Lowes or Home Depot.
An asparagus plot will last for many years and requires very little care.

Tea Granny 03-10-2011 10:41 AM

I love eating it raw! I find it amazing how many people that grow this around here have never tried it raw. It is delicious - kind of like pea pods :)

MichelleD 03-11-2011 12:04 AM

Asparagus roll ups of course! Lay out a slice of ham, spread cream cheese on it, then stick half an asparagus spear on top. Roll it all together, and enjoy. I typically use pickled asparagus though, not sure how it will taste with raw. Makes an excellent appetizer.