3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Veggie Challenged

Ways to force myself to like veggies

Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #46
Just watch me ...

It is amazing what a touch of butter, or salt can do for produce. Not much, just a bit. I think that the benefit you get from eating the produce overshadows the little bit of butter/salt.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #47

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Last week every meal was only grilled veggies with a bowl of soup on some days. I lost 3 lbs last week.

I began my healthy journey on December 17, 2011.

For every 5 lb loss.

LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #48

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

You would have to subtract peas and carrots (but add salad) to your list to get the veggies I like. The only "trick" that works for me is to put them in a really flavorful soup. I can eat cabbage, celery, lima beans, peas, carrots and zuchinni if I add it to a soup that is heavy on garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, bouillion, etc. There are a lot of versions of zero point soup that I have found online.

Sometimes I can tolerate carrots, snow peas and raddish in my salad. But, it takes a lot of dressing to cover up the taste because I really don't like them and I tend to eat around them. Luckily, I found that dressing on Pinterest where you make ranch from cottage cheese. I really like that and you get 1/4 c in a serving! Maybe if you put the cottage cheese in your food processor and added a different flavor packet than the ranch. Creamy Italian, Dill, Onion Soup or Veggie are some of the packets I have seen near the Hidden Valley packets.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #49

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

Lettuce of any sort is and always will be the worst thing in the world to eat. As much as I'd love to order a salad, I don't see it ever happening.

But there are so many vegetables that I won't eat, its easier to list what I will.

Tomatoes (my fav food as weird as that sounds)
Peas
Corn
Potatoes
Green Beans (but only if whole and not canned, yuck!)
Most beans
I will eat zucchini and squash if grilled with garlic salt

That is all!!

Started dieting again 3/10/2014
Started Fast 5 4/14/2014
Onederland goal: Christmas 2014
Second mini-goal: 169 - June 2015
Goal: 150 - Christmas 2015
One for every 5 lbs. lost.
wvuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsAngel View Post
Here is what i do for spinach - i coat a pan with spray olive oil - 0 calories, sautee diced garlic and crushed red pepper - toss in fresh baby spinach and cook just enough to turn it bright bright green and to soften the leaves up a bit.

you can do the same thing with mushrooms, though i add a bit of water so they don't burn and turn soft.

veggie tacos - shred carrots, yellow squash and zucchini, add some black beans (canned and rinse them well), coat pan with non stick spary and 'grill' until hot season with pepper and sea salt. There are many varieties of good tortillas out there, fill your tortilla, top with diced onion, tomatoes and cilantrol
WOW, it is almost impossible for someone to say no to such recipe. Spinach being as my favorite veg, I love it in all formats. I mentioned in some previous post that spinach with sweet potatoes is the best sort of veg mixture I like. When not worrying about my diabetes and weight gain, I take it often.
fatsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #51

Wow, I don't feel so alone now. I never really developed a taste for veggies. Only green beans, corn and pickles. I have a gag reflex that kicks in when I taste any other veggies. It is awful and embarrassing. I know if I liked them I would not have the weight problem I have now.
designgrl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #52

S/C/G: 220/214/120

Height: 5'0

For years I barely ate vegetables. I would eat salads (covered in ranch, cheese, croutons, bacon..not so healthy), corn, potatoes, pot roast (potato & carrots only), beans but that would be it. I even tried making myself eat steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, etc) but the smell and soggy texture would literally gag me. If I was in a restaurant, I would attempt to try the soggy side of steamed crap, but I never could get past the first bite and it felt like I chewed for 20 minutes before getting it down. I tried snacking on raw carrots once and became really sick.

I've been very sick the last few months. If someone sneezed near me then I would get sick. I decided it was time to get more vitamins from food and went and bought some frozen veggies. I tried steaming them and still couldn't do it. Luckily, I was reading about roasting veggies the other night and decided to give it a try. In a large bowl, I threw in a few pieces of random frozen veggies- cauliflower, broccoli, squash, carrots,- and added 2 small potatoes. I poured a little olive oil over them and added seasonings...salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice then put the lid on and shook it to mix and then poured them onto a cookie sheet and popped them into the over. They smelled amazing and I was able to eat them...they were almost delicious. I found that as long as I used a veggie that I like- potatoes- then I can mix in some of the others and enjoy them. I've also been experimenting with different flavors and ended up eating quite a bit of veggies this week. Roasting makes them very un-veggie like lol.

Started over 12-31-12
1st mini goal: back in Onderland
2nd Mini Goal: 150 before July 3 (birthday)
orlandogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #53
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/150

Height: 5'8

I am not much help...I really like veggies. I just didn't know it because I spent so many years not eating them.

I absolutely adore mushrooms and broccoli sauted in garlic and olive oil and thrown ontop of some quinoa. I usually cook my quinoa in broth so it adds a little extra flavor.

Besides that I love love love cabbage. Love it. I love it in soup mostly, but kimchi rocks my world. I can't eat celery raw but I love it in soup. I can eat carrots all day long and they are especially good with hummus.

Brussel sprouts are one of the only veggies I really like to eat steamed because I don't let them get 'soggy', just warm. I think they taste kind of sweet.

Asparagus is amazing as well! I like to rub it down with some oil and garlic and bake it for awhile, just until a bit crispy. Mmm...

I am getting hungry.

thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.