3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Veggie Challenged (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged-176/)
-   -   Naked Juices? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged/211918-naked-juices.html)

djsullivan135 09-07-2010 02:09 PM

Naked Juices?

Being a veggie challenged person myself, I decided to pick up a few Naked Juices to keep in the fridge at work for when I got thirsty. I figured they had fruit in them, but the back of the bottle said that in the bottle there was:

27 Blueberries
3 Blackberries
3 Apples
1 Banana

So according to weight watchers, that's 4.5 servings of fruit. Which does not seem right at all. Almost a day's worth of fruit in one bottle? Is this right?:?:

lemontree 09-14-2010 11:28 PM

Well... juice is not the same as fruit. Once you take all the fiber out, it fills a smaller space. Plus... it's not near as good for you as eating the whole fruit in the first place.

Passionista 09-14-2010 11:30 PM

Sounds about right! Look at the calorie count and it will be high. Like lemontree said, so fiber either. Whole foods are better, 100%!

kaplods 09-15-2010 12:17 AM

Not only 4.5 servings of fruit, but nearly a full meal's worth of calories too (280 - 320 calories, I would guess).

When you juice fruits, you leave the best, healthiest part behind. Mostly, you're left with just sugar water (and a few vitamins and antioxidants). You get a lot less volume for your calories too, and liquid calories aren't as satisfying as solid calories, so you basically have "health food store junk food."

Juice is not a great "health food," because of the concentrated calories. I just read an article in the doctor's office about apple juice contributing to toddler obesity and severe "bottle-mouth" (rotted baby teeth from allowing a child to have milk or fruit juice available in their bottle all day). The article compared fruit juices to kool-ade and noted that there really weren't many differences nutritionally between apple juice and kool-aid - both are mostly empty calories. Clear juices like apple and pear were the worst, and deeply colored juices were slightly better, but still far inferior to the whole fruit.

If a person won't eat whole fruits and vegetables, juices may be marginally better than eating none, but apparently not by much, and for weight loss, you've got to be very careful about the calories, because they add up fast and don't fill you up.

tommy 09-16-2010 06:55 PM

Totally agree with Kaplods. Those recent constant commercials with a high profile actress/newish mother touting Mott's Medley's is like chalk ona blackboard to me. Give the kid an apple!

junebug41 09-16-2010 07:09 PM

I love Naked Juices. I have been drinking them for years. In fact, I had one for breakfast this morning because I didn't have time to make my green smoothie.

Granted, they are more like meal replacements so I wouldn't drink them with a meal, but sometimes a Green Machine is all I want for breakfast (and lunch). It's a lot like a smoothie.

Naked is an organic, supplemented drink with no preservatives. They are also rather pricey, but there really isn't any bad stuff in them and it's pretty far from a glass of koolaid. http://www.nakedjuice.com/#OurJuices...erfood/bottle2
They are high in sugar, but if you are accounting for it it should be alright. There is no sugar added aside from what is juiced or pureed.

When you juice something you miss out on the fiber, but the vitamins are still there. As far as processed, "packaged" stuff goes, the nutrients are harder to come by. Naked (or Odwalla) is pretty much as good as you will get in this department.

EZMONEY 09-17-2010 07:10 PM

One of my son's friends used to drive for naked juice....he lives near me and was always stopping by to throw some in the garage fridge (those close to exp.) in exchange for the beer he drank!

Now he drives for Frito-Lay...

chips anyone?

4star 09-23-2010 04:01 PM

Yes I love them! It really is just pureed fruits and veggies. You do have to account for the calories b/c they run around 240 or so. I had one for breakfast. Some stores carry the smaller ones that are around 10 oz and 170 cals which I consider fine b/c they are so nutritionally dense.

Skinnyminnie Wannabe 09-25-2010 11:57 PM

The green one (I get Bolthouse Farms brand) is good for someone like me who is extremely veggie-challenged. It looks gross, but mostly tastes of pineapple.

nicelady 09-26-2010 01:07 AM

I will drink one when I get hungry to keep me from snacking on stuff I would have, and sometimes as a meal replacement.