3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Veggie Challenged (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged-176/)
-   -   Steamed Veggie Help! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged/204342-steamed-veggie-help.html)

BlessedBe 06-11-2010 11:00 AM

Steamed Veggie Help!

I want to try to eat more veggies in my diet. But I don't like plain steamed ones. I want to spice them up a little. Does anyone know a basic recipe for the base of a vinegarette, that I can spice/season up myself? Or like a low-cal, thin sauce base that I can customize with spices and seasonings?

CanadianCutie 06-11-2010 11:28 AM

Good for you for trying to get more veggies into your diet. I use a little no salt added lemon seasoning, or if you have any steak or chicken spice laying around. I add the Kansas City Steak Spice by Durkee I think it is to a lot of things, even sprinkled in with fresh or diced tomatoes as a makeshift salsa. I do often add a little salsa to steamed veggies, just to add a little kick, and extra veggies into the mix too. I have also used a little honey mustard thinned out with water, then thicken with whatever you normally use as a thickener. I usually use half a tablespoon of whole wheat flower.
In general though, my favorite spices are basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and rosemary.

LisaElevated 06-11-2010 11:40 AM

I also like low-sodium teriyaki, the ranch popcorn seasoning, greek seasoning, creole seasoning, and pretty much any low-fat, low sodium marinade that looks tasty!
But most of all, I like to spray the veggies with olive oil spray, a sprinkle of garlic or whatever spice sounds good and roast them in the oven.
They come out a little sweet, crispy and oh so fantastic. carrots are good this way with a little brown sugar, and asparagus with garlic and sweet potatoes with a little cayenne or creole. I LOVE roasting! (really it's just baking, so I don't get the roasting term, maybe from the higher temp?!)

MaddiesMom 06-11-2010 11:51 AM

Green giant makes some veggies that steams in the microwave and has different flavors that are low in calories, some of them have olive oil and spices, others have a butter flavor. They are really good and reasonably priced.

SCraver 06-11-2010 12:10 PM

1 part olive oil, 1 part vinegar (white wine or some pink is yummy!), 1 part lemon juice. Shake up in a bottle or jar and pour a little on your veggies (a little goes a long way). Add spices to taste. Sometimes I do a little chili powder. Or Tastefully Simple has great spices that I use on my veggies - the Spinach & Herb one is divine on asparagus (which I then bake in the oven).

rockinrobin 06-12-2010 09:47 AM

Why steam them? Feh. To me that doesn't bring out their natural sweetness and flavor.

Why not try ROASTING veggies?? Brings them to a whole new delectable level. Brussel sprouts, broccoli, string beans, turnips, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, cauliflower, asparagus - the list is endless.

Place on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Spice them up - cumin, chili powder, mrs. dash, onion powder, garlic powder, cayanne. Depending on the veggie I use fresh sliced thin onions and chopped fresh garlic. DELISH. Be creative. Experiment. Spray with some more of the non stick spray, place in a 400 degree oven, turn a few times and voilia. The cooking times will vary according to the veggie. Asparagus goes fast - 10 minutes. String beans about 30 minutes. Broccoli about 20. Cauliflower about 40.

You want them to get a little brownish. It takes a bit of experimenting to get it right. But when you do - be prepared for pure deliciousness. :)

Here's some more great veggie ideas, there might even be more specific roasting instructions in there:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...egetables.html

MyBodyisMyTemple 06-12-2010 08:12 PM

Hi ladies,
i know this isn't my thread but thanks for the great tips!! I've never roasted veggies thanks for the info and the link!

This is exciting. My current lifestyle incorporates approx. 0.001% veggies. Very, very sad. Not because I don't like them, but because they're boring. This should spice them up!

MyBodyisMyTemple 06-13-2010 03:36 PM

ok, so before I go out and buy veggies to roast I figured I'd better eat what was already in my freezer.

I tried my first bag of steamed veggies (store brand) and YUCK!!! Eww, eww, eww. :( I finally had to mix the veggies up in my bowl of spaghetti to successfully get that stuff down.