How to Incorporate more Veggies in Breakfast?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • chopped tomatoes and cucumbers in some sort of light dressing - maybe even hummus. or plain yogurt
  • i scamble eggs mixed in with spinach onions and mushrooms and add some salsa, and sometimes cheese
  • I actually just started work on a cookbook based on this concept of veggies for breakfast. They won't be strictly vegan or vegetarian recipes. Don't know how long it'll take me to do it, but I've got someone providing me with veggies for my recipe testing.

Personally, I love greens with eggs for breakfast. Asparagus fritatta with feta, chopped veggies in savory muffins, mushrooms with chopped Canadian bacon on popovers, layered breakfast soups, chunky veggie stew with poached egg on top, poached egg on greens over toasted steel cut oats...

Hey, I'm giving all my ideas away!
  • Israeli style - salad, say with cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese/tofu, olives, herbs such as za'atar, splash of olive oil, pinch of salt. Nice and fresh.

Chinese style - congee! There are oodles of recipes over the internet. Traditionally it's made with just rice, and it has to be white rice so that it will congeal properly, but I like to add other grains to make it more nutritious. I make a mix in a tupperware container of 2/3 cup Thai (jasmine) rice, 1/3 cup quinoa flakes, 2 tbsp sesame seeds (preferably unhulled), and use about 1/3 of a cup of this at a time with about 2 cups water (though I use a very small pan and do the water by eye). Simmer for a while, then add veggies. I generally use frozen diced carrots (I buy organic carrots and chop them in batches to freeze), frozen edamame (baby soya) beans, and some frozen Savoy cabbage (I'm not a cabbage fan but this is good stuff). For seasoning, I either go vaguely Japanese and add ginger purée while it's cooking plus a bit of miso at the end along with a dash of sesame oil, or vaguely fake-cheesy and add a dash of olive oil, bit of nutritional yeast, pinch of bouillon powder. Total comfort food, and very easy to make as the grain mix is in a tub, the frozen veg are in the freezer, and I just need to stir and add things from time to time.

Both of the above are vegan, but could easily be deveganised if required.
  • Toast with a fat free cheese slice melted on top then topped with fresh tomatoe slices, salt and pepper to taste.

I talked to a nutritionist once and she said it doesn't matter if you want to eat dinner for breakfast as long as you eat nutritious food.

This morning, I had a b-i-g salad and boiled egg whites and a piece of my homemade protein bread sliced thin. I felt a big eat day coming on so, I headed it off at the pass. I got up and the first thing I did was make a big salad, an-all-day-salad. I have a Tuppawear cake container that I use. I just turn it upside down it works great. It kept me from over eating because I was full all day long.
  • I know you said you have tried spinach in smoothies, but here is the site for anyone interested in the concept of Green Monsters.

Also, I make protein shakes using this concept:

NOW Green Monster
    Ingredients
    1 scoop NOW Whey Protein Isolate Powder
    1 TBS Hodgson Mill Flax Seed
    2 cups Organic spinach (uncooked)
    1 small banana (80g)
    3/4 cup Almond or Vanilla Almond Milk (unsweetened)
    ice

Combine Ingredients as ordered above in a blender for about 1.5-2 min.
    YUMMINESS

You can also see a photo on my blog, just click the link below.
  • I make a low-fat broccoli and spinach quiche (no crust, cut the cheese in half and use low-fat cheese options; you can also use egg beaters instead of real eggs) on Sunday night and eat it throughout the week for breakfast. It's nice to have it already prepared, that way if you're in a hurry in the morning you aren't as tempted to reach for something unhealthy or pick something up (donuts are my particular weakness) on the way in to work.
  • Wow! Great ideas! :-)
  • I enjoy scrambling all kinds of veggies into eggs: artichoke, spinach, onion, mushrooms, olive, tomato, salsa, green or red peppers! Super easy, fast, yummy, and good in lots of combos. Add a little sour cream and cheese if your diet allows, too!
  • I'm partial to omelettes myself and you can certainly add seeded and chopped fresh tomatoes to them. I stuff mine with tomatoes, onions, peppers, black olives and mushrooms and a dab of grated cheddar cheese. Or more esoteric stuff like chopped avocado, artichoke hearts or asparagus. Try spicing the veggies with Italian Seasoning, garlic powder and/or hot pepper powder before you toss them on. Try adding a dab of salsa too, I particularly like Shotgun Willie's green chile salsa for this.

Think about Breakfast Burritos: take a big flour tortilla and load it with scrambled eggs, refried beans and lots of chopped veggies. Top with salsa, a dab of sour cream and/or a shot of hot sauce. Makes a nice taco too.
  • this is a great post with lots of good ideas. I make a veggie scramble/casserole on Sunday nights that we can take slices of and reheat during the week. Basically we can throw whatever veggies we want in it, but I usually use fresh baby spinach and sometimes peppers (depending on my audience.) Eggs, fat free half and half, shredded cheese and veggies in the casserole dish, cook at 375 for 25 - 35 minutes. Works great for everyone, including my husband and my todder.
  • great Post !

rl=http://www.3fatchicks.com/] [/url]
  • I LOVE sauteeing veggies like zucchini, red peppers, onions, kale...Whatever looks good, in olive oil and adding feta cheese when it is still warm. The cheese gets a little melty, and if you want, you can use low fat feta.

It is so yummy, and if you don't do eggs, but do dairy it works. I have done it also with goats milk feta. yummmmmmm.
  • Pumpkin pie oatmeal: make oatmeal as directed (I always microwave mine [not the instant kind, blech]), add some canned pumpkin (not pie filling), sprinkle with stevia and cinnamon or oriental 5 spice.

I make vegetarian breakfast burritos for the kids using whole wheat tortillas, 75% reduced fat cheese, eggs (or tofu), vegetarian sausage, and salsa. Different fresh veggies can be added while cooking the mixture such as shredded carrots, steamed green beans, corn, or spinach. They can be added after cooking also.
  • mashed potatoes with fresh cabbage + a bit of carrot on the side