Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #31  
kristin

S/C/G: 215/160/145

Height: 5'11"

I used to be a veggie hater, I mean a serious veggie hater like you too, I NEVER ate veggies, ever. Now, I eat at least 4 servings of veggies every day and I'm not choking them down either! There are still veggies I don't really like (raw tomatoes-LOVE cooked tomatoes-cauliflower, cooked spinach, kale, and fennel) but for the most part, I really like veggies now. My strategy is fake it till you make it, choke it down if you have to but just try it at least 10 times before you say you don't like it.
kristintcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #32  
Graceful Loser

Ugh, I'm having THE worst time with my veggies. I'm trying to incorporate them as much as possible, but I still feel like I'm not trying hard enough.

Someone told me to start making my smoothies sixty percent fruit-to-forty percent veggies. I've been too intimidated to try that yet, though.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoco350 View Post
Ugh, I'm having THE worst time with my veggies. I'm trying to incorporate them as much as possible, but I still feel like I'm not trying hard enough.

Someone told me to start making my smoothies sixty percent fruit-to-forty percent veggies. I've been too intimidated to try that yet, though.
I'd like to know the combo's of this idea. It sounds gross to me but hey, anything to get veggies in. Although I find smoothies don't satisfy me. Guess I need the crunch but I'm open to suggestions.
Golden Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoco350 View Post

I love veggies so I don't share in this problem BUT I do have a little niece who would do anything to get out of eating veggies so I've been using my juicer and basically I use any 2 or 3 fruits she likes ... and then I put broccoli ... she never knows the difference because the fruit overpowers it. So I can sneak in atleast a serving of veggies that way. ''
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #35  
Just for today

S/C/G: 328.8/301.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hate veggies. It's so hard for me to even COOK them because I get grossed out from even TOUCHING them. I can tolerate green beans. That's it. Everything else I can't eat without gagging and having it be a trial.

It's really comforting reading everyone else's advice and giving me some motivation to try some new veggies!
StarryEyes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

It's definitely often a raw vs cooked thing too. I don't usually like raw veggies, and I'm not sure if I ever do. I hate hard fruit and vegetables... when you cook them and make them soft, all of a sudden I love them!
I'd rather go hungry than eat raw carrots, but I find plain, cooked carrots delicious.
Even apples! I love most fruit that's soft, but apples are hard so I don't like them. But pop them in the microwave for 5 minutes and they're DELICIOUS.
I dunno, it's like I can taste the flavor better that way.. but maybe I'm just weird.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #37  
Just for today

S/C/G: 328.8/301.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessa555 View Post
I'm doing MRC diet, and it calls for 12 oz RAW GREEN veggies a day and I HATE veggies. My lunch today was so insanely miserable. I had 4 oz lettuce, 2 oz celery and 2 oz cucumbers and I thought I was going to die. I made it through the celery by dipping it in my cottage cheese and 'destringing' it as I went, but the cucumbers almost killed me. The plain lettuce was a welcome relief at the end (though I can't imagine eating 12 oz a day of raw lettuce, either...that's over a bag of lettuce!). I can only use 10 spritzes of the salad spritzers for dressing, and nothing that contains salt, so the whole experience was horrid. It took me an hour to choke it all down. I WANT to like veggies, but so many of them taste like grass or dirt to me that it makes it very difficult. I think I'm going to suck it up and try the '100 times' idea to see if I can convince myself to like them. Ugh. I'm not a huge fruit fan, either, but at least I can manage apple slices without the skin and I really like melons.
I can relate to EVERY word you said about your ordeal. That's how it is with salad for me. And that's a ceasar salad...hang in there hun!
StarryEyes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #38  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

If you're like me and adore sour things, drown your veggies in vinegar

I love salad and spinach, and cooked spinach, when it's swimming in apple cider vinegar. Mmmmm. Cucumbers, or carrot shavings.. with a little salt to balance things out... Oh my gosh, so good!

I guess if you like sweet things as opposed to sour, you could make up some frosting like dip with Splenda?

Or you can set broccoli up like a forest and pretend you're Godzilla or a hungry dinosaur? It works for kids
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #39  

Wink I hate most vegetables as well!

Hi all, I'm new here, whoo hoo! I must say that I am really excited to see a category called Veggie Challanged. I knew there had to be more people like me in the world and I've finally found them!

The only vegetables I ever ate growing up was corn and potatoes. I was 26 before I ever ate lettuce and that's only because the guy I was going with loved salad so I thought I'd try it. I ened up liking it, but it was only ceasar salad I liked, finally I am able to appreciate a good iceberg lettuce salad. Yeah I know, no nutritional value, but hey, baby steps. Now I can manage to eat lettuce almost by itself as long as I have a little fat-free dressing or salsa on it. Salsa is a great salad dressing for very few calories and has the bonus of being a vegetable. Still not crazy about chunky salsa. I can eat carrots cooked now in small amounts but that's because they turn sweet when cooked. I can also tolerate some green or red peppers as long as they are chopped up in very small pieces. I like green onions (or the green part anyway), dehydrated onions, and I can handle spinach in salads now or I can hide it in eggs or soup too, it's not all that bad. I still hate green beans and I don't think I will ever like them. Sweet Potatoes are a new find, I had them the first time as french fries and they were pretty good, then this past Thanksgiving someone made a different type of sweet potato casserole that I thought was good, not the typical with marshmallows, ick.

One way I have managed to eat zucchini other than in bread is to slice it really thin, cut up some carrots really thin and chunks of potoates and a few peppers and boil the heck out of them. This basically renders most of the vegetables flavorless. Actually this might not be good because I might be taking away all the value of eating vegetables with this method. Anyone know?

Not sure if this helps or not but at least you know there is another challanged person out there.
Breezychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #40  
Viva Fabulosity!

S/C/G: 291/287/163 (for now)

Height: 5"2.5

I can empathize with others who said that they prefer cooked veggies to raw ones; if they’re raw, I end up needing some kind of salad dressing (which can rev-up the calories, even with the low fat dressings). But, the secret for me—when cooking them—is to incorporate other spices. I am a huge fan of ground pepper (not the kind that is pre-ground and in cans or shakers); and, I really love adding garlic and onions to about veggie medley that I eat. Adding spices can make it taste better—and make cooking a more exciting experience.

I’m not quite sure if veggies are an acquired taste or not. I also have noticed that when I eliminate refined sugar (like candies, etc.) from my diet, the sugars found in veggies (like carrots) do taste better.
Cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #41  

Does anybody have a good website for veggies?
Golden Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 255/255/180

Height: 5ft 10in

I love raw carrots, cooked corn, raw cauliflour, lettuce- is o.k, cucumbers w salt, celery is o.k with cheese or peanut butter, cooked broccoli with chicken and cheese, canned greenbeans with pepper, rosted corn on cob with garlic and parmasean cheese. I hate greens, onions, tomatoes- other than sauce, brussel sprouts, asparagus. I don't like most green veggies. I tried greens with corn to make then taste better, but it didn't work. I love almost all fruits, though. I think I will do the juicer thing. Mixing fruits and veggies. At least hubby will get a laugh if I make awful faces.
AstralPhysicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 231/125

Height: 5'4

WOW That is awesome that someone told me this that I am not only one who hate veggie growing up! I hate veggies and fruit while growing up. But I do like green beans and bananas, that was it! LOL Years later, I met my best friend who is chef, she encourage me to try veggie and fruits. She diced up to cook it up, then grilled chicken and you spread over tomatoes on top of chicken. It's so darn good! It got lemon/herb on it. I used hate Chinese food but now I do love it but I don't like they have HUGE veggie, just a shredder veggie in my rice along with chicken, WOW IT'S SO GOOD! I am still don't like mushroom (NASTY SMELL!), corn, cucumber. I even don't really like veggie in raw, I tried, tho but couldn't shake it off down in me! I used hate salad but I am so in love with grilled chicken with Caesar salad! Or I can use baby spanish for Caesar, that's even good! I used eat most of fruit but now I love blueberries, strawberry, pineapple, frozen grapes (you put grapes in freezer then it get hard, it almost like eating a candy but alot healthy!). I gonna try what been mentioned up there to put apple in microwave. Thanks for all of you sharing this! I am no longer embarrassed!
kula23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #44  
fra

S/C/G: 231/xx/150 [105/xx/68 kg]

Height: 6' [183 cm]

there were some things that i couldn't stand, and i found that now I can eat them and i am starting to enjoy them. Like beans and chickpeas and lentils. I think the key is to keep eating them in tiny bits until you can stand them.. I know, it sucks. But it also kinda works. Your tastebuds become desensitized
fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 346/308/199

Height: 5'10"

Default Easy veggies

I either like or will tolerate most vegetables if they're cooked. There are only a few raw vegetables outside of salads, that I enjoy. But it's very difficult for me to get my husband to eat any vegetables at all. He enjoys mexican food, so now he orders a side of pico de gallo to put on top of whatever he ordered. I've found that if I make vegetable soup with chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are soft, he will eat that. I add spinach (the frozen box kind that has been thawed and liquid squeezed out) to meatballs, meat loaf, any place I can hide it. The meat and seasonings overpower the taste of the spinach. I use a mini food processor to chop veggies into tiny bits before adding to other things. One awesome trick is to boil fresh artichokes until tender (about 30 minutes for the big ones) and use fat free italian salad dressing to dip. All you can really taste is the dressing.
Cherry in STL is offline   Reply With Quote