3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Veggie Challenged

Tips for a veggie hater?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I love roasted vegetables. I'm eating veggies that I never would eat before; roasted brussel sprouts are simply yummy... who would thought???

CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #17

S/C/G: 259/253/135

Height: 5'5''

I can totally relate. I also consider myself "veggie challenged", but the bottom line is you just HAVE TO incorporate them. Just like you incorporate exercise, you need to learn to incorporate the veggies, and after a couple of months it won't feel so horrible, after all.

My tips:

I eat lettuce just like I would eat a tortilla: I use it to wrap things with, be it turkey breast and cottage cheese, or shredded chicken breast from a whole rotisserie chicken. Really works, specially if what you put inside of it is well seasoned and juicy.

Another thing is, "hide" the veggies in a dish. I like to buy ground lean turkey and brown it with tiny pieces of onions, tomatoes, shredded carrots, green bell peppers. I promise the veggies in this case will only make the turkey more tasty. And the good thing is they'll be in tiny pieces, ready to go to your mouth since they're already mixed in your protein. No picking here, though
uhgabyzinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #18

I didn't like veggies much growing up. My parents didn't eat many, either. It's taken years to get where I am now. I still don't like a lot, but I just stick to what I do like.

I used to hate broccoli. My ex would make me a stir fry with broccoli and other veggies. He told me to eat a piece with a different vegetable or food item that I did like. I would couple the broccoli with a carrot and could tolerate it better. Now, I eat broccoli steamed with olive oil and garlic. It's not my favorite food in the world, but sometimes I really like it. I also used to hate onions, but now they're my favorite. I personally like stir fried and roasted the best. I also like soups.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

I think definitely spices, and sauces help- by themselves are a little blah- but add some flavor, and BAM!

I like making all kinds of stir fry veggies (so easy) with your fav chinese sauce.

Or salad with a great salad dressing.

Or adding veggies to soups, or making a veggie based soup.

50 Pounds Lost Photos!
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I agree with the hiding of veggies - my boyfriend thinks he doesn't like vegetables, and he honestly thinks he's never tried a lot of them. He doesn't know that they are mixed into meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti sauce. My personal favorite is that he thinks he hates onions - I don't think there is a recipe in my repertoire that doesn't start with sauteing onions and garlic.
Before I was on a diet, ahem, excuse me, lifestyle change , I introduced a lot of vegetables to him by wrapping them in bacon. If you used centercut bacon (only 30 cals a slice) it could still work out.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #21

One tip would be to visit a nearby farm or gardening co-op -- we are so far removed from the sources of our food and so accustomed to processed food!

Also so many of the veggies in the store are warehoused and not of great quality. If you taste fresh baby carrots that have just been picked....I just don't know how you could NOT like them! I have a veggie garden & my kids eat them like candy, and the little grape tomatoes too.

Repeat.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #22

S/C/G: 325/315/190

What if you got a juicer? I got mine from Ebay a couple of years ago and I use it all the time. One of my favorites is carrot-apple. Carrot is really sweet and mixes well with the apple.
janann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #23

Height: 5'4"

Veggies have made me gag since I was a kid. I hate them and its awful because I know how important they are not only to satisfy an always hungry appetite but more importantly for overall general health. I can only eat raw carrots, lettuce, lentils and corn on the cob. I don't enjoy it but I can actually tolerate that. I recently started adding raw spinach to my lettuce salads and cover it all with balsamic vinagarette and I can't really taste the difference between the lettuce and the spinach so I'm going to try and keep that up. I would also appreciate any ideas, tips and tricks for those of us that simply hate the taste of most veggies. (Another problem for me is also not having alot of time to cook)
Franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #24
No Matter What!

S/C/G: 264/257/145

My experience is much like zenor77. There are several foods that I used to hate, tomatoes and onions being two of them and this was always very frustrating to me because they were in EVERYTHING. I spent hours picking them out of everything from spaghetti sauce to salsa (yes, SALSA!). Then one day I decided that I really wanted to like these things and so I just started eating them in small amounts whenever I had the chance. Sometimes I would pick some out of the food and leave just a little to start to get used to the taste. It took months, but I now like, or can at least tollerate for the sake of health, many foods that I previously would have nothing to do with. I think half the battle is mental, though. I really wanted to like these things that I knew were a healthy staple in many diets. I still can't pop a raw tomato in my mouth and enjoy it but I will purposefully add it to many dishes and enjoy it that way. Next battle: brussel sprouts...YIKES! Gonna be a rough one for me, LOL.

Good luck in your veggie journey!
teensie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #25

S/C/G: 250/201/150

Height: 5'4"

Well I'm new to this site and on my weight loss goal and glad to see that I'm not alone in my aversion to vegetables! About all I used to eat on a regular basis are the ones that are not so great for you - potatoes and corn! I was raised on southern cooking - thus the potatoes/corn and did love fried okra & squash but of course no more fried foods so there goes those two veggies! LOL

I have recently started to love fresh green beans and actually tried a little steamed broccoli at a resteraunt one day, which was okay but not great! I don't even like lettuce so no salads for me! I do know that tastes change and have tried to eat lettuce from time to time but have not yet been able to aquire a taste for it.

I hear people talk about seasoning vegetables but I am clueless as to what seasoning to add to what vegetables! I will try some of the tips RockinRobin gave. If anyone else can suggest any seasoning and ways to cook I'd love to hear them!
tammyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #26

S/C/G: 290/280/135

I know how you feel! I absolutely detest the taste of any kind of vegetable. I get a salad out for lunch almost everyday but I eat twice the amount of grilled chicken to the amount of salad. Usually like a cup and a half of salad (which is just lettuce & red cabbage) to chicken. I really need help with this taste aversion too. I literally have to force my mind to wander while eating vegetables. It makes me that sick. I am on the South Beach diet, phase 1. Which if you don't know means I can basically only eat veggies, protien and select dairy. This makes my life very hard not being able to enjoy any vegetables! I wish I could get over this. I am a picky eater also, I only eat chicken and pork, most fruit, but no veggies (and I am a recovering carbaholic ) I'm working through it though!
abbynormal278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #27

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I had to chime in here as this thread caught my attention quickly. I am a girl from the mid-west and I love my veggies! But I am married to a man who hates his veggies and two out of my three sons also avoid their veggies--even though they were introduced to all kinds of wonderful veggies.

Here is what I've done that has worked for my veggie haters:
1. Like others, I've sneaked in shredded veggies into just about anything you can think of.
2. Pureed veggies are a good way to sneak in some vitamins. For example, pureed cauliflower blended with mashed potatoes is awesome--you really can't tell they are there.
3. If you don't like it raw try it cooked or vice versa.
4. Roasting brings the natural sweetness out of most veggies and that appeals to lots of people more.
5. Try frozen veggies (better than canned in my opinion). You can try buying it in the small boxes so you're not wasting your money on bigger amounts you won't use. There is a huge variety out there too.
6. Try different kinds of dips--hummus is one of my favorite!
7. Garlic is our favorite veggie seasoning!

You don't have to like every veggie out there but I hope that you do find some that you do enjoy.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #28

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

Smile

I have always been as someone else has said "veggie challenged" lol but as I have grown older I have come to absolutely LOVE sweet potatoes cut up in cubes, tossed with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and french onion soup mix covered and baked in the oven...so good! You can do it with reg. potatoes too.
Another thing I do to sneak in some veggies is to cut up alot of spinach and tossed them into scrambled eggs.. you can not taste it at all.. only way you know its there is you see the green but that is it.. no taste at all.. only of the eggs and whatever you put in to season. I am always looking for ways to get my veggies in without actually eating them at face value lol.
Cape Breton Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #29

S/C/G: 245/219/160

Height: 5'9

i really didnt like spinach by its self but i found this great recipe! its for a shake, it might look gross but it is the best thing ever! here it is...
1 cup soymilk(or milk)(i use plain light)
3-4 cups spinach or spring mix
1 frozen banana
and blend it yum yum it tastes like a banana shake it is so good and you get 2 or 3 servings of veggies and one serving of dairy and fruit! i also add a few stawberries and sometimes slices of an apple. if you dont want to used a frozen banana use a fresh one, just add some ice cubes. hope you like it!
MrsVegan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #30
Mini Goal 3- 175lbs

S/C/G: 275/178/165

OMG I've found my people. I'm so intimidated by what seems to be everyone else's love for veggies. I too am veggie challenged but making an effort to incorporate them. However, I can't blame my upbringing because I came from a huge veggie eating home (my mom still makes the homemade veggie puree thing for relatives with babies) so it was always a challenge for me. I still get an actual gag reflex to brussel sprouts, asparagus and squashes. I don't like veggies that taste like they're "right from the garden" or "fresh" and "vegetably" so grilling or roasting or any cooking methods that enhance that taste is out.

My biggest suggestion to you would be cooking the vegetables into everything. My rule for myself is that every component of everything I eat has to have at least one vegetable or fruit incorporated in it. Even if this component is usually hidden. For example, even Jello chocolate pudding gets bits of ginger chopped in (chocolate + ginger = HEAVEN!)
Some Tips:
1.) I never just have plain brown rice or wheat pasta anymore, I add steamed peas, carrots and green beens, cauliflower (or the frozen mixed vegetable combo thing).
2.) I never just make a pasta sauce or a curry or any sauce really without adding frozen spinach (I haven't yet made it to the fresh kind yet but maybe one day I'll get there) or even brocolli (which is actually tolerable when its in something else and you can't taste its broccoli-ness).
3.) I don't like raw tomatoes but tomato paste is good on crackers and toast and has lots of good vitamins and tomato sauce/diced tomatoes doesn't have as much of that raw tomato garden taste and somehow in my opinion requires less cooking.
4.) I'm a little lazy when it comes to meal prep, but in many grocery stores there's such a a variety of those bagged salads and they make lunch and sandwiches really easy. I try to find the ones that have at least 3 colors in them- yes a really scientific method I know (usually green salad (different kinds of lettuce and cabbage), carrots and radishes, so that I'm not having one huge lettuce binge and calling it nutritious like I used to). You can also put some tuna or grilled or canned chicken on this and mix it in so that with pretty much every bite you get a prize i.e. the meat/tuna. I also use those Wishbone spray dressing things because it dilutes the veggie taste a little.
5.) Sometimes I make my own meatballs/burgers/meat pattie things with lean turkey (held together by an egg and blended cauliflower not breadcrumbs) and I defrost some frozen spinach and add it generously to the mixture and voila, there's vegetable in there when its cooked that you barely notice.
6.) Definitely choose frozen vegetables over canned. Canned always have an odd can taste that can put you off the specific vegetable forever.
7.) If you like spicy food, spice/pepper the vegetables liberally. If they're super spicy, then all you taste is the pepper and not the vegetable. (this is my trick from childhood).
8.) Mash, blend, or puree vegetables into stuff. A lot (not all) of the ick factor is related to the sight and smell, so if you can't see or smell it, then you can fool yourself into thinking its not there. This has worked for me with onions but I'm sure it could work with other things.
9.) Do you like fruits? I know I prefer fruits to veggies even though I can be a bit of a picky fruit eater too (no melons!) so I try to eat those a lot more than I used to for the fibre and vitamins and nutrients etc.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.