3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Veggie Challenged

Is V8 REALLY a source of veggies?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #16

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My favorite way to use V-8, is to use it as a soup or as a soup base. I'll add one 12 oz can of V-8 and a 15 oz can of chicken broth (or 2 cups water and a bouillon cube) and then add chopped and sliced veggies (leftovers or fresh, frozen, canned, dehydrated, whatever I have on hand and feel like putting in). Sometimes I'll make a brothy sort-of-chili by stirring in beans and ground beef/tvp mixture to spicy V-8.

I do count it as servings of vegetable (because I follow an exchange plan, and it's listed in the exchange booklets as a vegetable), but I don't try to use it as my main source of vegetables. My exchange minimum for veggies is three servings, so I try to choose "real" vegetables for those, and use V-8 for a fourth veggie (if I consume more than 1 veggie's servings of V-8, I count the calories to use toward my "optional" exchanges).

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #17

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedawnster View Post
They make a high fiber V8 juice that I find very yummy. In an 8 oz serving there are 60 calories, 0g fat, and 5g fiber. If any one is following weight watchers, this makes for 0 points.
I haven't heard of this before. It sounds way yummy!!!

Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #18

S/C/G: 274/*ticker*/199

Height: 5'6

Very good to know!
Tickle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #19

I think it is only if you drink the original one -- not the fruit splash ones...
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #20

S/C/G: 220/200/140

Height: 5' 3"

I have a cook book that uses V-8 juice as part of the base for pasta e fagioli. It's one of those books where the author tried to figure out a restaurants recipe, which in this case is Olive Garden's pasta e fagioli. I have to say it test the same, and I think part of what makes it so good is the addition of the V-8.

As for rather it is a serving of veggies I see it as a supplement to my veggie eating, but not the main source of veggies. I wouldn't drink 8 glasses a day and think I am doing well in the veggie department. Occasionally I do have a glass and count it as 1 veggie.

One of my goals this winter is to make more homemade soups. Kapolds you have made me realize that I can use your base and make a variety of soups with veggies and beans.
Lucky Charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #21

I don't think its a good source of veggies... the best option is always fresh whole vegetables.
MommaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #22

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Charms View Post
One of my goals this winter is to make more homemade soups. Kapolds you have made me realize that I can use your base and make a variety of soups with veggies and beans.
Yep, I don't get bored with soup, and almost never eat canned soup (at least not without doctoring it trememdously) because I make so many varieties, most are quick "dump and simmer" recipes. I do keep Aldi's brand tomato and cream of mushroom soups on hand (49 cents, and better than Campbell's in my opinion), but mostly to use as an ingredient in another soup or casserole. I'll make a faux clam chowder once in a while using the Aldi cream of potato as a base, and add a tsp of clam flavored "Better than Bouillon" soup base, some diced onion, and chunks of whatever white fish I have in the freezer or leftover baked fish (I've used cod, crappies, walleye...).

I do keep several soup bases like the Better in the pantry and fridge. Some tend to be high in salt, so you've got to take that into acccount. The Better than Bouillon brand has maybe a dozen varieties, including two or three vegan options (the vegan flavors are vegan no chicken, vegan no beef, and I believe the mushroom flavor).

I also like to get broth, mushroom, and wine powders from Spices Etc. The broth powders dont taste very good on their own, because they don't contain any seasonings, just the powdered meat, but they boost the flavor of other broths and stocks without adding salt. The cheese powders and other flavored powders are great too (like powdered soy sauce, horseradish...) for adding to light sour cream for a dip or sprinkling on popcorn...

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #23

S/C/G: 205/192/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't mind the V8 fruit frusions. But like others have said, whole foods are better for fiber.
spygirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I count it as a veggie exchange. The v8 fusion would be fruit.

A.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #25

S/C/G: 230/ticker/180

I'm doing a medical weight loss program and they have me count v8 as vegetable servings, the sugars in the juice count as veggies carbs (they are natural sugars).

On a side note they will not let me drink v8 Fusion or v8 splash even though I am allowed to have fruit ... I'm not sure why. It might be that they add sugar to the fusion? Or it might be that the amount of fruit carbs it has is more than I'm allowed to have at my rung. The only v8 they will let me have is the regular v8 veggie juice and diet v8 splash.

This time I won't make the mistake of going it alone.
Mini Goal #1: 200 lbs
pferde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #26
Calories must be counted

S/C/G: 238/229/145

Height: 5'2

OOOOh I must go search for the high fiberV-8 tomato juice. I count it as a veg-cooked tomato has all sorts of good benefits for you-just not all your vegetable servings for the day. I believe it is a good source of potassium too.

Word of warning on the v-8 FUSION . Don't buy the low calorie version.Use the original. The low cal has half the nutritional value and has added corn syrup.
Compare the labels you will see what I mean. Drink 2 oz less and have a better product.

Last edited by 2Bees : 07-13-2010 at 07:09 PM.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #27

I like the v-8 high fiber version, but have found that it is sometimes hard to find. It tastes the same to me as the regular v-8, but since I follow the weight watchers plan I like the zero point value.

Last edited by theblueeyedgirl : 09-28-2010 at 02:11 PM.
theblueeyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #28

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

Height: 5'5"

I love V-8 juice. I just put a touch of worcestershire sauce and a dash of powdered garlic and it becomes a Virgin Mary! Yum!
CourtneyDaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #29
Started Aug 2010

S/C/G: 263/150/195

Height: 5'5"

Most of what I've seen on v8 Splash and V8 Fusion (even though I LOVE them) is that they are just.... juice. Not a substitute for real fruit or veggies, and not really much (if any) better than any other juice.
teacherlady79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #30

Default v-fusion = sweet potato juice plus fruits

The first juice listed on the label is sweet potato juice. They are considering THAT a vegetable? HMMMM. It's tasty but I call it fruit and only drink it very watered down.

You can up the fiber in it with Benifiber if you can't find the high fiber variety. Whatever fiber is in high fiber v8 is probably added in, and not the original fiber from the tomato or other "vegetables".
lantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.