Old 01-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default I just bought a bunch of baby eggplants at the Chinese Market

What's your favorite way of eating eggplant?

Does baby eggplant taste any different than the regular fat American eggplant?

I've never tried it, DH hates it. and I doubt my kids will even attempt to try it. Unless of course I can hide it in a stir fry
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Different eggplants definitely have different textures and flavors. The smaller ones generally have a much thinner skin so you don't have to peel them. The ones the size and shape of a hen's egg, have a lot of seeds. I like them, but my favorite is the japanese eggplant (the long, slender ones about the size of a banana). I hate the american eggplant. I've never had any luck salting, soaking, and rinsing the bitterness out.

My favorite way to make eggplant is to wash it, pat it dry, and cut it into chunks (skin and all). Then I toss it in a ziploc bag with a tablespoon of oil followed by ranch dressing mix powder or other seasonings. Then pour the eggplant into a roasting pan and roast at 375 -400 degrees (uncovered) until tender. I usually start checking them for doneness at about 25 minutes.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm not sure of the difference between the Japanese and Chinese ones except that the Japanese ones are a bit darker in color.

Try slicing them lengthwise and poking some holes in the flesh. Put some soy and grated ginger over it and either grill, broil, bake or cook in a pan with a hint of oil. You can do zukes this way, too.

I absolutely hate the American one. It is a useless veggie IMO. It lacks taste and is bitter. It oughta be banned.

Many Chinese restaurants will do something similar to what Colleen said but they will batter and deep fry it. I like her suggestion better. I think I'll try it and see if I can get the little ones back into my eating plan.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #4  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I ended up slicing in half, drizzle with olive oil and low sodium soy, sprinkled with garlic powder and freshly cracked pepper. Then roasted it.

Absolutely devine. Even Todd loved em! Heck my veggie hating son ate them! My daughter wasn't home tonight (she went home sick with her dad).
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 AM   #5  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I love eggplants in various forms, but one thing I also do with them at times (especially when I have to bring lunch at work and want something I can easily reheat in the microwave oven) is to slice them in cubes, with or without peeling it first, cook them with a touch of olive oil at the bottom of the pan, then throw them in a saucepan with cooked chunks of chicken and pasta (both already cooked as well, of course), add Provence herbs, and then serve everything together. I have a few friends who won't eat vegetables if they're alone, but will eat them if they're in a "poêlée" (as we say in French) of that type.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I love to slice my eggplants really thin, salt them up and let them 'sweat' then wash and pat them dry. heat up the over, dress the eggplants slices with cumin, black pepper, papprika, salt, dried parsley, olive oil, galic powder. spread them on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, flip and then bake for another 10. amazing! and I either eat them like that with a squirt of lemon or I put them in a pita bread with some hummus, slices of tomatoes and cucumbers, maybe some mint leaves. great sandwich for lunch
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #7