Old 10-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #1  
Pat is in KY

S/C/G: 283/283/150

Height: 5'6"

Default roasted veggies?

Well somebody please tell me how to 'roast' vegetables? My husband and I have never heard of this. How long, what temperature? Does this mean broil in the oven? What kind of oil? What kind of spices and what kind of veggies do you all use? The only way we have ever eaten veggies is fried in butter in a skillet or boiled in water. Maybe this is why my husband hates vegetables so much. We fry cabbage in butter, we fry green beans in butter, etc. Is roasting better? Thanks for any answers...my email is [email protected] in case I will not be able to find this group again....yes, I'm new at this, ha ha.
goincrazyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hey inky. Roasted veggies are fabulous.

You can roast all different ones. Some of our favorites are cauliflower, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, zucchini and peppers.

I cover a large cookie sheet with tin foil (easy clean-up), spray it with cooking spray and then add the veggies. I then put on lots of chopped fresh garlic and a little salt. Then place in the oven at about 400' and cook away. I turn it a few times during the cooking. Green beans take about 35 minutes. I like when they start to get brown and a little wrinkly. YUM.
Asparagus takes a little less time. Cauliflower and brussel sprouts a little more. Zuchinni, I usually just slice up thickly and put under the broiler for a few minutes and then turn em and stick them back under for a few more.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #3  
it's always something

I LOVE roasted green beans! I toss mine with a little olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, then roast them till they start to shrivel.

You can also grill vegetables and they taste incredible! But never, ever, ever fry them in butter or anything else
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #4  
Pat is in KY

Default roasted zucchini was mushy

I don't know how to make zucchini taste good. I sliced the zucchini in rather thick rounds and laid on a baking sheet on reynolds wrap. I then drizzled olive oil all over the zucchini and added salt and pepper. On some of them I put old bay seasoning and some of them I put oregano. I turned them once after about 5 minutes under the broiler. When they appeared a little brown, I took them out and they tasted very mushy and not much flavor. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? HELP...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

I don't know that zucchini is the very best veggie to roast. My very faves are carrots and any root veggies -- beets, turnips, etc. And asparagus and green beans.

I like my zucchini cut into small pieces and sauteed in a bit of olive oil with lots of salt and pepper until it it nicely brown on the edges but not too soft. You can add some cut-up onion, too. Zucchini is great grilled, too.

Last edited by mlk58; 11-07-2007 at 04:51 PM.
mlk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Also instead of drizzling olive oil, I'd suggest using some pam or a spray pump as you can rack up the calories in oil.

Also, were you using fresh zucchini or frozen?

I love zucchini but I usually braise it rather than roast it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

I just noticed you put them under the broiler. Broiling is not at all the same thing as roasting. To roast (bake), heat the oven to 400 or so but don't use the broiler, because it will brown/burn the veggies before they are done.

And to keep the fat down with the olive oil, I toss the veggies in a bowl with a tsp or two of oil (I use my hands), then put 'em on the baking sheet.

Last edited by mlk58; 11-07-2007 at 05:02 PM.
mlk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Zucchini has lots of water in it and doesn't need to be drenched in oil, besides that oil has 120 calories per tablespoon.

I put mine under the broiler, thickly sliced after spraying very lightly with a hit of cooking spray, and some garlic and onion powders generously sprinkled on. I'd say for about 5 minutes, maybe a little less, then I turn it over and broil about another 2. It's nice and firm this way.

I use fresh zucchini and leave the skin on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #9  
Pat is in KY

Thanks for all the responses! I need to buy a sprayer with olive oil instead of pouring it on everything.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

We discovered that roasted turnips are the pits! However, roasted fingerling potatoes and beets are some of our favorites.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: way to high/ 150

I am surprised no one has mentioned eggplant. I love roasted eggplant.
Stardutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

i make a 'roasted ratatouille' - cut up peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, garlic, onion, maybe carrots into a foil-lined pan. toss with a little [and i DO mean little] olive oil, salt, pepper, and roast it about 400, stirring every once in a while.

if i've gone too crazy with the oil, i use paper towels to blot the veggies. then, while they're still warm, sprinkle with any or all of: basil, oregano, parsley, hot pepper flakes. stir well.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #13  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

maybe they were mushy because of the olive oil.. Zuchinni and eggplant are both like sponges and will 'suck up' oil like there's no tomorrow. A quick spray of PAM or vaporized olive oil is a lot better, just allows them to brown without saturating them.. (hence, MUSH)

Another good way is to throw your veggies in with your chicken while you roast it, not all of them will stand up to this time period with the chicken, but I've had luck with garlic cloves, carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, etc. The chicken juice gives them a TON of flavor and you don't really need to add oil or anything to them at all..
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote