Old 05-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #1  
Breakfast Fiend

S/C/G: 164/154/140

Default I hate veggies, but I'm finally getting some servings in!

I've been having a lot of V8 juice lately, which claims to be worth two servings of veggies. I don't love the taste, but it's easier to get down than all my vegetables. Does anyone else do V8 juice?
ashliebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #2  

I drink V8 juice! At first I did not like the taste much, but now I love it. I use it as my 'snacks' between meals. It fills me up so that I do not get hungry before my next meal and those veggies have to be a good thing, right?
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #3  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

I drink V8 Juice also. But it does have alot of sodium in it. I guess it's still better then not getting any veggies?!?!
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Low Sodium V-8 is pretty bland, but good with a shot of lemon juice and hot sauce!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #5  

I drink the low sodium extra antioxidant v8 which come in the smallest size can at a time... I think that one is a good portion size than the reguar can. V8 has also started some low carb fruit juices (called v8 fusion or something...i got the peach and orange one...its really yummy)
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #6  

do bloody mary's count? i mean, v8 plus a celery stick. it's good for you right?

just kidding.

i really like v8 juice, but on one particular flight after ordering it, i had a lot of time to study the nutrition label....yikes. too much sodium.

i have since sworn it off, and have tried the low sodium, but i find it bland. i will have to try to spice it up (no pun intended).

i know diet v8 splash is lower in sodium, but i'm not sure how many servings of fruits and veggies it contains. maybe take a peak at diet v8 splash. i think it tastes pretty good.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #7  

It has no fiber. Guess it's better than nothing but not nearly as good as actually eating the vegetables. Way way too much sodium for anybody.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love veggies but don't like v8, go figure I love tomatoes especially. Although I will admit, it was somewhat of a learning process to love vegetables as much as I currently do. At first, I had to force myself to eat veggies every day, now I eat 4-6 servings/day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #9  
hara hachi bu

I've never disliked vegetables, but I've always liked fats and refined carbs more. My mom gave us a ton of them growing up, so eating them isn't usually an issue. I'm always looking for more ways to incorporate vegetables, though!

I love tomatoes, but for some reason V8 was always too pungent for me. We like V8 Splash (the fruit-flavored ones), though.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #10  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I occationally pick up a V8, especially when I'm in need of some energy before my workouts. During the school year, v8 was the only healthy thing in the vending machines that had "good" calories.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #11  

I'm not a V8 drinker, though I've used it as a soup base.

Someone posted that it has no fiber? I'm surprised. But here's a suggestion for those who want more fiber and less sodium: make your own vegetable juice. I'm thinking it'd be better to stew the veggies first, then puree them and add whatever water to get to the thickness you want. But most veggies can be blended raw, just maybe not carrots unless you cut or shred them first. I'd bet if you bought a vegetable juicer, it would come with recipes.

And if you're willing to drink down veg juice, why not try vegetable soup? or adding veggies to soup you already like? Or to spaghetti sauce, which already has tomatoes, onions and peppers in it. Adding some zucchini and carrots won't even be noticeable.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I choked down 6-8 oz of V8 juice every morning for weeks and NEVER liked it I don't eat many veggies at all (there are probably at least a few days every week where I don't have ANY veggies in a day), so I thought the V8 would help, but I felt like I was oging to be sick every time I choked down a glass. I like tomato soup, so I tried telling myself it was just cold tomato soup--that worked well enough for about 3 sips, but not the whole glass

So yeah, I don't drink it anymore. Oh, and sure 460mg sodium is a lot for one item, but if you watch your sodium in the rest of your diet, it's really not going to kill you (since US RDA is up to 2400mg a day), so if you like the stuff, then cheers! I think it's better than nothing!

Oh, and in a thread we had in the 100lb group, we determined that buying V8 is much less expensive than making your own juice, not to mention less time consuming, so it's no wonder it's so popular. And if I'm not mistaken, V8 Splash does not contain ANY veggies--it's a fruit juice--and the Diet V8 Splash is more water than anything else.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #13  

And if I'm not mistaken, V8 Splash does not contain ANY veggies--it's a fruit juice--and the Diet V8 Splash is more water than anything else.

Maybe that varies by V8 Splash flavor, but the couple I've had both contain carrot juice.

Of course buying V8 is cheaper and quicker than making your own. But for someone wanting the lower sodium and the fiber, making your own is one alternative. And honestly, if you're not using a very hard vegetable such as carrots, it only takes a minute or two to blend up using one of those blenders that fits into the cup. I do that several mornings a week with fruits, so why not with veggies?
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena1383
Maybe that varies by V8 Splash flavor, but the couple I've had both contain carrot juice.
Maybe...I couldn't find the ingredients on their website, only the nutritional information. But I still wouldn't think it's enough carrot juice, amongst all the other fruit juices, to even count as a single serving of veggies. Just my line of thought...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:14 AM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena1383
Someone posted that it has no fiber? I'm surprised. But here's a suggestion for those who want more fiber and less sodium: make your own vegetable juice.
The fiber is in the "pulp". If you make your own, just add some of the pulp back in the juice.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote