tofu or not tofu that's my question.....

• Hello....Hope I'm not the lone person on this site....didn't see anyone else...I've started eating tofu,and thought I might get a few ideas about preparation....I've done it a few ways, so if this is of interest to anyone let's exchange....
  • Hi tutu,

I am new to this and if I do this wrong, sorry!! I am a vegeterian and am very interested in using tofu in my diet. I am willing to try new things. I have used it mainly in salads, but not sure if I am even using it right. Anyways, I cook and eat all vegeterian and would love any recipes that you might have. I do not use white flour, salt, sugar, red meat or drink caffeine. If you could be of any help it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Regarding Tofu
    Hi lighthouse In answer to your reply.....You prob. know more that I do regarding tofu.....I was looking for ways to incorporate it into my diet.....I did buy a tofu cookbook....there are many.....and I'm learning to like it.....so far I use a little sesame oil and brown it...like a steak.....on both sides,then cut in chunks to either eat when I'm hungry (protein),or as a meal,or in a green salad.....good luck! tutu*cute.
  • Have you tried stir frying tofu. That is a simple and delicious way to include both more veggis and tofu in your diet.

vireoes
  • A great way to make tofu more palatable is to buy the extra firm and freeze it. Thaw and squeeze out all the water. You can marinate it in any of your favorite marinades. Some of my favorite are:
    Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce or tamari
    fresh ginger
    fresh garlic
    rice wine vinegar
    hot pepper flakes or fresh hot peppers
    a tiny bit of apple juice
    a tiny bit of toasted sesame oil

marinate and use like you would meat in a stir fry..

cook with low fat coconut milk, garlic and ginger.. add broccoli, cliantro and tomatoes and serve over brown rice

bake in an oven and serve on whole grain bread with mushrooms, peppers and onions sauteed, soy mayo, tomatoes, sprouts and lettuce

Marinate in low fat Italian dressing (Ken's steakhouse has some great low fat dressings).. crumble into spaghetti sauce

You can use silken tofu for many things.. I make a smoothie out of :
    1/2 lb silken tofu
    2 frozen bananas
    calcium fortified orange juice ( 2 cups)
    ice
    frozen strawberries
    1 tbsp flax seed oil
    -mix in blender until smooth.. serves two

Mock Sour Cream:
    Silken tofu (1/2 lb)
    vinegar (rice wine) about 2 tbsp
    1 garlic cloves
    1 tbsp hot mustard
    blend in blender until smooth

I come up with new ideas all the time if anyone is interested..

-raeven
  • Hi Raeven..... Thanks so much for your response,and delecious sounding ideas. I had forgotten that I posted that message about Tofu. I started eating it every day,but pretty much the same way....which I love...maybe you might like to use my receipe....here it is: I use seseme(?)oil,in a non stick pan/and cut up some green onion,tops and bottoms and stir-fry.....then after I have gotten as much moisture out of the tofu I can(I use firm)I cut it into 'steaks' about four slices per block...and add them to the sesame oil,and wait abit till they brown on the one side....then when it' s lightly browned,I turn them over,and I pour some kikoman teriyaki sauce on the top,and let it sink in,and drizzle around the pan just a little. then cook the last side,turn down the heat,and wait until the soyu,and onions get kinna thick,and saucy...I just love this on my salad!,and I can eat it cold as a snack too. Let me know if you try it....and again thanks for the wonderful tips.....keep in touch,and keep healthy....:
  • Tofu
    I started out taste testing from the deli's of our whole food stores, and found I really liked the different ways they made dishes with it... Just a month ago I was brave enough to buy it for myself and cook or prepare... After a few mistakes, I did discover the firm to extra firm are the best ones to use for cooking.

I personally don't squeeze mine, too lazy.

I to found a few cool ways to cook them.. Just the other day I put 1 Tbl spn of olive oil in a non stick pain, tossed in cubed tofu, ginger, coriandor, garlic, curry and onion seasonings. I added half a cup of already cooked rice, brocoli and really enjoyed... Sometimes I would use 1/3 C. of lite coconut milk mixed with green curry paste, and add only two tspn to the mix.

I did this samething with a little bit of sweet and sour souce to.

I made BBQ tofu. I cut my tofu slices into triangles, 1 tbl spn olive oil, same seasonings as above, brown cubs, then tossed BB sauce (enough to coat)over them and let simmer...

I hope to do a brocoli stir fry, just don't know a good savory stir fry sauce to make... I don't care for store bought.

This tofu is really fun... Just want to venture out and make more Asian/ East Indian dishes with this new found friend...
  • hey.....that tofu receipe sounds great! I love curry......I use to have a friend that made Tofu taco's....awesome!.....some people are afraid of tasting tofu,but it really assumes the flavor of the sauce your cooking with....be it curry/soyu..teriyaki/etc. and so good for us. thanks for the response...:O)
  • Swan_lake:

Your idea with the light coconut milk and the green curry mixed with tofu sounds AWESOME! Yummy!

I can't wait to try this. I love Thai food, and I bet some fresh broccoli and carrots sliced up in a pretty way would be a nice addition.

Sarah