salads and side dishes

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: Looks like a tasty recipe!

I just wanted to mention that "Wizards" brand organic Worcestershire sauce is one of the only vegetarian ones out there (most contain anchovies) and it is really good!
    Oops! I didn't even think of that, since I still eat fish. Anchovies are hard to avoid in an Italian family. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
  • Hi Pals - I just made this recipe:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._14574,00.html
    using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and peanut butter made from fresh ground roasted unsalted peanuts.
    I also added some minced fresh turmeric root to the saute' pan in the beginning.
    WOW! This may be one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life!

WOW!!
  • Quinoa with Blood Orange and Basil
    This is from Family Fresh Cooking. She has a ton of great recipes, many of which are vegetarian (not a vegetarian website). Check out her link for beautiful pictures of this dish. You can practically taste it just looking!

http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/bl...nge-and-basil/

Ingredient List

1 cup dry Quinoa (prepare according to package)

Handful chopped fresh Basil + some for garnish

3 Blood Oranges: cut into small pieces with pith and seeds removed

1/2 Lemon or 1 Tbs Lemon juice

juice from 1/2 Navel Orange (any “orange” Orange) or a few tbs Orange Juice

Olive Oil

Salt to taste

chopped Green Onion (Scallions)

Dash of the following spices:

ground Black Pepper

Cinnamon

Tumeric

METHOD

1. Prepare quinoa according to package. One cup of dried quinoa will yield a good amount of cooked quinoa. It expands quite a bit.
    2. Let quinoa cool and toss with all of the above ingredients. Add the sliced blood orange last so they don’t break up too much when you combine.
    3. Enjoy!!

Fresh Variations

* Toasted nuts: Quinoa pairs really well with nuts. Try adding some walnuts, pecans, pine nuts, almonds, etc…
    * Add some cheese: Top with Chevre (creamy goat cheese), Feta, good sliced Parmesan, Romano, Gruyere, etc..
    * Dried Fruit: Toss in some chopped dried Apricots, Cranberries, Cherries, etc…
    * Have a few ounces of quinoa with cheese or nuts for a mini meal.
    * Toss with mixed greens and some lean protein for a balanced salad.
    * Use as a bed under your favorite lean protein. Serve with a side of steamed veggies.
    * Use unseasoned quinoa for breakfast instead of oatmeal. Serve with any toppings you would put on your oats.