9 lasagna noodles
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup diced onions
2 tsp minced garlic
3 cups tomato pasta sauce
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
12 oz soy-based ground beef substitute
2 cups smooth 5% ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large pot of boiling water cook lasagna noodles for 12 to 14 minutes, or until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Set aside.
3. To make the sauce: In a nonstick saucepan sprayed with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onions and garlic for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in tomato sauce and basil, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Stir in ground soy and simmer for 3 minutes. Set aside.
4. To make cheese mixture: In a bowl, stir together ricotta mozzarella, milk and 3 tbsp of the Parmesan.
5. Spread 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with three noodles and then spread half the cheese mixture over the noodles. Top with one-third of tomato sauce. Add three more noodles. Spread remaining cheese mixture over noodles and top with one-third of tomato sauce. Top off with remaining noodles and spread remaining tomato sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and cover with foil.
6. Bake in the center of oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot.