Old 10-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/225/120

Height: 5'0

Default Raw food diet....

Okay so after going vegetarian and finding out I have diabetes, I'm starting to think I may need to consider a raw vegetarian/vegan diet. Any good books out there on the subject. I've read Skinny ***** but didn't help me. What should I do? I was also maybe considering eating raw dairy and honey (not completely vegan).
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Why do you think raw vegan is the answer? I'm personally not a fan of raw diets myself. Unless you have a solid reason for being raw, it is something hard to stick to and personally, I don't think it is very pleasant. There are a few diabetics (type 1) that follow a vegan diet to control their diabetes but I know type 1 is different than type 2.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #3  

I have type 2 and I know I basically have to go on a low carb diet but I'm also wanting to give up meat.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #4  
Just Me

Why do you have to go low carb? Have you looked into low fat vegan diet? I mentioned in another thread about Dr. Neal Bernard's diet for Reversing Diabetes. I've read the book and it is good and the study showed that most type 2 diabetics got to a point where they no longer showed signs of diabetes. If you want to low carb, I'd say go for it but you might want to also consider the alternatives.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #5  

Due to the nature of type 2 diabetes, medical professionals suggest that you go on a low carb and low sugar diet. So half the stuff I love to eat I have to take out of my diet or limit.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #6  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

You could still be vegetarian and do low-carb and low-sugar.

I mean, chocolate is vegan, coconut oil is high in fat... on the raw side, avocados and nuts also have a high fat content, especially if not eaten in moderation. You could very realistically do low-carb and low-sugar as a vegetarian. Everything in moderation. Disclaimer: I'm biased because I'm a pescatarian (vegetarian except I eat fish because omega3's and yum)
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #7  
Just Me

I think it depends on your doctor, the importance is placed on stabilizing blood sugar and you can do that in numerous ways. I know people on this site that are diabetic (not vegetarian) and follow the low GI/GL type diet such as South Beach phase 2. I have PCOS and I tend to follow a lower GI/GL diet. If you want to eat a raw diet, I say go for it but I do think it is challenging.

Ginny Messina (theveganrd.com) and Jack Norris (jacknorrisrd.com) are 2 big names in vegan nutrition. I think if you asked either of them about a recommended diet for a diabetic, they could provide some insight. Both are pretty approachable as well.

This is from Jack's blog about how a vegan diet can improve diabetes
http://jacknorrisrd.com/veganhealth-...pe-2-diabetes/
Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfudge View Post
You could still be vegetarian and do low-carb and low-sugar.

I mean, chocolate is vegan, coconut oil is high in fat... on the raw side, avocados and nuts also have a high fat content, especially if not eaten in moderation. You could very realistically do low-carb and low-sugar as a vegetarian. Everything in moderation. Disclaimer: I'm biased because I'm a pescatarian (vegetarian except I eat fish because omega3's and yum)
Well, I'm currently a semi-vegetarian but I don't eat meat everyday.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #9  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

Cool That's certainly a start. When in doubt, there's wikihow.com:

1. How to become a vegetarian (pretty solid advice!) http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Vegetarian

2. Advice I wish I followed better:
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Healthy-as-a-Vegetarian

Just for reference, I've been a pescatarian for around 4 years. I lost around 35lb by cutting meat. It took me maybe 1 month to drop the first 10 lb, and then ~5lb in the second month, and a few lb here and there ever since. I was not trying to lose weight, although that was a very welcomed unintended benefit. I eat fish, dairy, and eggs. This may not work for you because everyone's body is different, but I do suggest you try out vegetarianism (absolutely no meat) for a month.

Lol. I remember a month in, I had a WEIRD craving for raw ground beef haha, but then afterwards, I couldn't stand to smell or touch meat... it became almost psychological. In my mind, I often think to myself: "I hate that people eat meat, I hate how animals are treated, I hate society for coming to this, I hate how meat makes me feel bloated and sick" etc. etc.

No matter what you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck!
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #10  

I don't really crave meat but I been having a lot of egg cravings lately, I have no idea why.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #11  

But is the Raw Food Diet really all that bad. I've heard both the pro and con sides. I guess there's no raw foodists here.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #12  
it's always something

PrincessKLS, I don't think we have very many people here that follow raw food diets. I considered it a long time ago, but changed my mind after reading what Dr. Andrew Weil had to say about them. I trust his opinions and look for his advice on a lot of health issues.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40119...Raw-Foods.html

That said, most of the food that I eat is raw, but simply because the foods I eat are supposed to be eaten raw. I eat a very large quantity of fruits and vegetables daily. I cook some vegetables, but most end up in a very large salad bowl.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #13  
Just Me

I think the raw food diet is just hard to stick too. I've done many high raw days and in fact many raw foodists I know eat 80% raw food. I hate eating raw foods during winter as that is not what my body craves. During summer, I love lots of raw fruits and vegetables. I love cooked beans though and cooked beans are low glycemic, full of fiber and contain protein. I also just felt really bad eating raw, I know raw foodists will say its toxins leaving your body but it isn't.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #14  

Okay 80% raw so what do they eat 20% of the time. And if it's not toxins leaving the body what is it then?