My 18 YO daughter has decided to be a vegatarian

• What advice can you give her? What are the most important things to know? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
  • i became a vegetarian pretty recently, and i think the best thing you can do is what you're doing....supporting her. my bf was not excited, but he supported me (he even picked up my meatless products on our grocery bill) which helped a lot. also, help her realize that there needs to be a balance. you can be a cheese pizza, mac and cheese, cookie eating vegetarian, or a veggie eating vegetarian with a mix of carbs. it took me about 2 weeks to realize that eating cheese and carbs wasn't being healthier. i would maybe pick up a couple meat alternatives for her (maybe one a week to try) since they ten to have a lot of protein and just keep being supportive. she'll let you know what she needs and maybe she can offer to do some of the veggie cooking.
  • wow I wish you were like my mom. When i tell her that I wanna be vegiterarrin I get either " God put animals on earth " Or " Not with our budget your not. I cant cook you special meals amy"
  • a book you might find helpful:

How to Feed a Vegetarian: Help for Non-Vegetarian Cooks by Suzanne D'Avalon

and a few posts on this thread may be of use too

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41847
  • I was a vegetarian for about 5 months my first year in college. I kind of just did it to try something different, no deep reasons. I stopped when I went home for the summer, as I knew living at home that it would be difficult to maintain. My family was supportive during spring break, weekends, etc., but it just wasn't as easily done as at college where you have cafeterias that are required to have vegetarian options --- and though I can cook, I also liked our ethnic foods that are really always made with fish/chicken/meat. I just didn't want to have to cook something separate for myself every day.

In retrospect, I probably ate much less healthily while I was a vegetarian, both in nutrient/protein intake and in healthy food consumption. Sometimes, if I didn't like the vegetarian main dish option, I would just have large bowls of peas and corn plus maybe a dessert for dinner. A bowl of french fries wasn't all that unusual as well.

I would just make sure your daughter understands food and healthy eating. If she's really committed to a long term vegetarian lifestyle she'll need to learn a lot about good nutrition and how to maintain it...especially at this time in her life. Maybe you can do some research together...she needs to be an active participant, or her health now and in the future may be in jeopardy.
  • I'm a veg, almost vegan.

It is just as easy to eat junk as a vegetarian, but it's not healthy. It is however, easier to stay fit and be healthy with a balanced veg diet.

Your daughter should:

Eat 3 fruits a day, preferably at breakfast and/or as snacks

Eat 5 ups of veggies daily. Very easy to do, I do it by eating a big salad at lunch and/ or heating up some organic frozen veggies to eat with my sandwhich/burrito/pasta. Lunch is a great time to scarf veggies because they provide great amounts of nutrients and are great sources of energy. It's also easiest on the digestion at lunch time.

Eat whole grains. Avoiding white flour, butter and preservatives is important for health. Your daughter will probably avoid most foods with animal lard in it, but if she's not strict or careful she will cancel out a lot of health benefits by eating chemicals. There are loads of good books at the library on vegan and vegetarian health, and loads of good websites. Have her do her research, it's part of being a good responsible vegetarian.

As a veg*n, I've improved my focus, my health, lost some weight and honestly feel so much better. On days I don't eat healthy foods I can really feel how bad the junk foods are for me. And the gross feeling I get it almost exactly how I felt when I atea very "healthy" diet of meat and veggies and it amazes me that I put up with the fatigue and overall blahness for so long.

If she takes the time to learn about a healthy veg diet, you're daughter will not have to deal with a lot of other health issues
  • I did that to my mom when I was 12. My family assumed it would be a phase but I'm now 34 and haven't turned back, I'm now a vegan

I agree with the others that support is the best thing you can do. If she's going lacto/ovo, she really shouldn't have a huge nutritional challenge. Unless a vegetarian eats nothing but junk, there shouldn't have an isssue. Dairy provides B-12, protein, etc. If you are really worried, maybe suggest that she get her iron checked in a few months just in case she doesn't absorb non-heme iron well. I've never had an issue but iron absorption can really vary from person to person.

If she decides to go vegan, the nutrition is a little harder to deal with. In that case I'd recommend any education you can find.