3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Vegetarian Chicks > Vegetarian and Vegan FAQ

Why do you think people say they are veg*n when they aren't?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #166
WW Moderator

I think a definition of something can be useful and a timesaver, as long as there are enough people that know what the word means. Saying one is pescatarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian only works if the other person knows what that means.

Kaplods - you bring up a good point of 'vegetarians versus normal'. In a lot of places I'm sure that idea still exists, but overall the numbers of vegetarians and eco-awareness of food choices are rising, and 'labels' or definitions are becoming handier. In my opinion.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #167
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

My husband is reading a book called "Mad Cow" which is by a cattle rancher turned vegetarian (vegan? not sure).

He says to me the other day, "This book is funny, it calls vegetarians who eat eggs and dairy ovo-lacto". He had never heard the term ovo-lacto or ovo or lacto vegetarian before. Here is a guy who has been vegetarian for 2 years and is in his mid 30s
Old 11-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #168

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

I *hate* it when people think vegetarians eat fish. I've been a lacto-ovo 'tarian for 20 years and I can't count the number of times people ask me if I eat fish. FISH ARE ANIMALS. What are they, made of broccoli? *sigh*
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #169

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I hate the fish thing too!

I'm just grinning because I saw this thread today, and realized I posted in it last year when I was just thinking about becoming vegetarian, and now I have been vegetarian for over a year

Last edited by JulieJ08 : 11-15-2009 at 06:33 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #170
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

I normally just tell people that "I eat Salmon on occasion, but beyond that I don't eat any other kind of meat". At restaurants or with new acquaintances I normally keep it short and just say "I don't eat meat." So there's no confusion. I'm very picky about the Salmon I eat; organic wild-caught Alaskan salmon. Also I don't want to be eating it on a constant basis. It's a rare treat for me, and I fear people relying on it so they don't have to leave their "meat meals" comfort zone.

I've been "pescetarian" for just barely a year. It's been a new and exciting change, finding out how to cook healthy nutritious meals, discovering that I actually DON'T despise veggies/beans. I'm still working on letting go of the Salmon, but beyond that I'm happy with my diet. The only other non-Vegan food I eat is eggs (just recently started again) as it's a quick, filling source of protein in the mornings for a very very poor college student.

I understand the confusion on both sides of the fence when someone says "I'm Vegan, but.." You're contradicting your previous statement by clearly saying that you eat something outside of that doctrine. I think that ends up coming out of mouths more often than it should because A) people are misinformed or confused about the actual terms they're using, or B) when put on the spot it's the easiest, quickest way to describe their diet. Let's face it, we don't always say the most intelligent or correct things when someone is questioning us and our beliefs.

SEXY by September - Progress
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #171
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I hate the fish thing too!

I'm just grinning because I saw this thread today, and realized I posted in it last year when I was just thinking about becoming vegetarian, and now I have been vegetarian for over a year
How time flies, do you still eat fish?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
How time flies, do you still eat fish?
You better be careful, EZ. You keep hanging out in the veggie forum and you never know what might happen ...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #173
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

True story....

tonight....I am making my first ever spaghetti squash!!

a casserole...already cut it in half....knew I wasn't supposed to use the seeds but I threw the slimy stuff out too...

gonna bake it for an hour then shred it and do the rest..

wish me luck!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #174

Bake it good and long - it stays pretty crunchy for a long time. Or you might like it that way.

Last edited by JulieJ08 : 11-16-2009 at 08:44 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #175

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Some people use it as an excuse to politely not eat (often as part of an eating disorder).

Started July 1, 2012 @ 290lbs
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #176

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

There have been times in my life where my dairy consumption was virtually nil, and for years I hated honey, however, I would never label myself a vegan. I was eating less dairy probably for financial reasons. I am one of those rare adults that is lactose tolerant, not intolerant, I believe for me personally, I am meant to consume dairy, my ancestors obviously adapted to consuming it as adults to get nutrition through long, dark winters in Europe.

I appear to suffer no ill effects from not consuming meat, though.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #177

I think coming up with terms such as flexitarian, pollo-tarian, pescetarian, etc just kind of speaks volumes of how meat, especially red meat and the excess of it on certain dishes in (I can say for) American culture is so prevalent that if someone goes one or two meals or even a whole day without eating some type of meat or animal product, they are looked at as weird. I once had a couple of friends and one them was so big on eating out and eating lots of pork, chicken, and beef that one day I had a vegetarian breakfast (which before my recent incarnation wasn't abnormal for me), and I had a lacto vegetarian style lunch at a tea shop and he pointed it out to me and for some reason I decided to challenge this notion for the day and my snacks and even a dinner at a Chinese restaurant, I ate a vegetarian meal and even the waitress asked if I was one. For some reason I decided to eat spaghetti and meatballs for lunch the next day and felt a bit weird about it. But those friends ended up being bad friends anyway, so what the "hey".

Last edited by PrincessKLS : 09-17-2014 at 12:14 AM.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.