How much food do I need?

• Hey Guys,
    I've been a vegetarian for a year now. I don't eat dairy if I can help it (I use soy instead) and I don't eat meat (with the exeption of wild of free-range meat). I am 5'4 and hope to lose about 20 lbs that I have gained (20 may not happen lol but at least 10). I don't know how many calories I need though? Sometimes I wonder if the beans and soy stuff I eat is not good to eat if you are on a "diet" ( I use the term loosely). How do I know how much food I really need? Thanks
  • It sounds like you've reduced your meat eating and are almost vegetarian...good for you! As far as what you need calorie wise, it's a pretty individual thing. Fitday and The Daily Plate are good sites to get a general idea of what a person your age, height and activity level may need (hint: choose "sedentary" or the lowest level of activity if you do this formulation unless you are VERY active!).
  • Definitely congratulations on reducing your meat intake.

I think beans are awesome and soy is pretty good. I eat beans daily and some soy almost every day. (I'm currently addicted to soy yogurt).

Calories are what count though and you should start counting your calories you are eating now and then try to reduce them.