Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/**ticker**/150

Height: 5'4

Question Yam Noodles...

I finally found these at my grocery store last night and had to pick them up.

Now, what do I do with them? ha ha

I know to par boil and rinse them well but I'm not sure how I would serve them. Pasta Sauce? Pasta Salad with oil and vinegar?

Anyone have any suggestion?

Many thanks in advance!!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:07 PM   #2  

Ooooh! I've never seen those but I love yams!

What is the flavor like? I guess you could season them as you would any sort of yam/sweet potato if they have that type of flavor. Or toss them with some sauteed spinach and garlic. Pesto type sauce? Spicy peanut sauce?

Let us know what they taste like, I'd love to try it myself!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #3  

The noodles look like regular spaghetti but packed in water.

I'm most likely going to experiment tomorrow and see what comes about. I'm hoping to like them since they hardly have any calories but an ok amount of fiber and protein.

Below is some info on what they are exactly:

What is Shirataki? Shirataki is composed of thin gelatinous strings made from yam flour (polysaccharide-glucomannan) from the Konnyaku root and has very low caloric or digestible food values. This traditional Japanese food is enjoyed for its simple taste and unique texture.

To open the Shirataki Noodles, place the bag in a colander in the sink and cut a slit in the bag. Remove noodles from the bag to the colander and rinse noodles under running water.

Shirataki Noodles have a unique aroma. Parboiling before use is recommended to help eliminate the smell and improve the texture.

Here's hoping I can get over the unique smell and make something tasty.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

I've had the tofu noodles and i just drained them and then put them into a pot of boiling water until the rest of my dinner was ready. Its really great tasting but a little chewy
Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #5  

Ok, the verdict.... Pretty yummy!

While there is a "fishy" smell when you first open them, after a good rinse, it pretty much disappears.

I coated a pan with light oil, just enough to coat and put in the noodles. I heated them up slightly and then added some tomato sauce. I seasoned with a little onion powder and garlic powder. After it was all heated through, I dug in.

Pretty much, the noodles themself do not have a flavor. They will adapt to whatever you add to them. I enjoyed with a faux chicken patty and a salad.

The good part of the noodles is that you don't have to feel bad about adding in some extra calories since they are so low to begin with.

Definietly will be purchasing again! =)
Old 11-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #6  
Holly on LAWL

S/C/G: 148/143/124

Height: 5'4"

I add mine to stir frys, soups, topped with chili. Just use your imagination.

Check out www.hungrygirl.com for a ton of recipe ideas using the House Foods Shirataki Noodles. Do a keyword search for noodles.
Closed Thread