Old 05-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #1  
Healthy Living

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Eat To Live: Week One

HERE WE GO!!!!!! Week One of Six for the Eat2Lifers! The Basic Plan:

UNLIMITED (eat as much as you want)
raw vegetables (goal: 1 pound daily)
cooked green vegetables (goal: 1 pound daily)
beans, legumes, bean sprouts, and tofu (1 cup daily)
fresh fruit (at least 4 daily)
eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes

LIMITED (not more than one serving per day)
cooked starchy vegetables or whole grains (butternut or acorn squash, corn potatoes,rice, cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, breads, cereals) (1 cup max. per day)
raw nuts & seeds (1 oz. max. per day)
avocado (2 oz. max. per day)
ground flaxseed (must consume 1 T per day)

OFF-LIMITS
dairy products
animal products
between-meal snacks
fruit juice, dried fruit

ENJOY!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/241/140

but possoms are cute just look at the possoms in over the fence and what about Nemo and Chicken Little lol
lets go team lets go wooohoo
Old 05-22-2006, 09:02 AM   #3  

I'm here! I highly recommend that everybody read the book to understand why the requirements are so strict -- it makes it much easier to follow!

Have a great time, everybody! I'm hoping to reach my "current goal" by the end of July. Right now, I'm wearing a pair of jeans that I haven't fit into for several months!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #4  

ok so my day has gone ok I went shopping useing the shopping list in the book. Did have a few slip ups but not bad I found this really good chili oh man it was good. I'm not really hungery tonightSo I'm not going to eat much for dinner. I hope you all had a good first day.

G
Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #5  

I'm doing ok! And I really NEED to lose this weight, so I want this to work!!

And about the slip-ups -- it's totally natural to have them... just get right back on the plan at the very next meal.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #6  
Healthy Living

Well, I hate to say this for fear of being tarred and feathered, but I don't think I got enough calories on my first day! I have a better idea of how I'm going to achieve that from here on but it really was a pleasant surprise to be so low cal after eating so much volume. Thanks Junia for getting us on this plan! I may become a vegetarian after these 6 weeks, if I make it that long! At the very least, I do promise not to eat any animated animals.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #7  

Sarah -- ok, as for calories -- did you eat a bunch of beans or other legumes? Did you eat four servings of fruits? My problem is that I have a hard time eating all the veggies the plan calls for. I'm getting better, though, and I really do like it when the bulk of my calories come from veggies -- it just takes a lot of bulk to get the calories, lol!

BTW, folks -- it gets easier after the first couple days... keep it up team!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #8  

oh, another thought -- don't forget your ounce of nuts (I have a hard time keeping it under an ounce -- I love nuts!)
Old 05-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #9  

As for me, I'm hoping that getting back on this plan will shake me out of this massive plateau I'm on. I want to reach my current goal by my birthday at the end of July -- do y'all think I can do it?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #10  

you can do it Junia yes you can I'm haveing a good day no slip ups even had a veggy delite at sub way used my bread for that it was sooo good. I just know this is going to be so rewarding.

Sarah I'm glad you will not result to eating animated animals and at the end of the six weeks you'll feel so good you'll not want to go back.

Last night I had a conversation with a lady who was not a veggie and was asking me questions about why don't I drink milk because it doesn't hurt the cows. I just told her how I feel. I think it was a good thing for me to stand up for what I believe in.

Anyway I hope everyone is haveing a good day

g
Old 05-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #11  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I’m glad you all are doing so well!

Junia – 25 lbs is an awful lot to lose in just over 2 months, but that’s no reason to not try. Even if you don’t hit that specific number goal you will still be a winner!

gggbdomino – I’m so glad you stood up for yourself in that conversation. I’m not exactly sure what you mean exactly by “what I believe in” since I’ve not read about why you’re doing this. I mean I know we’re all here to lose weight and for better health, but I wasn’t sure if ethics is something ya’ll are concerned about. About it “not hurting the cows” anyway:

“From 1940 to 1999, average per-cow milk production rose from 2.3 to 8.9 tons per year; some cows have surpassed 30 tons. High milk production leads to udder ligament damage, mastitis, and lameness.
It is unprofitable to keep cows alive once their milk production declines. They are usually killed at 5–6 years of age, though their normal life span exceeds 20.
Dairy cows are rarely allowed to nurse their young. Many male calves are slaughtered immediately, while others are raised for “special-fed veal”—kept in individual stalls and chained by the neck on a 2–3 foot tether for 18–20 weeks before being slaughtered.”

I don’t mean to be preachy, I’m a guilty lacto-ovo myself and slowly becoming more vegan. You can read more here: http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/animals.html
Old 05-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggbdomino
Last night I had a conversation with a lady who was not a veggie and was asking me questions about why don't I drink milk because it doesn't hurt the cows. I just told her how I feel. I think it was a good thing for me to stand up for what I believe in.
Off-topic, but... When people get all upset that I "can't even have milk," I simply tell them that I have made a personal choice not to support the dairy industry because of its close ties to the veal industry. I don't try to stop them from drinking milk, and I don't tell them my reasons unless they get really pushy about it -- but for some reason people can get really uptight about the fact that I choose to avoid consuming animal products. I mean, really -- I'm not bothering them about their diet, so why should they get all upset about mine? *sigh*

[/tangent]
Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #13  

The person was very respectful of my views(which are ethical as well as health issuses) I just don't get why people get testy aboutme not eating meat. on both sides I have know militant vegans and Militant meat eaters. I think we should live and let live. I all so think that when the opertunity presents it's self we should inform people about our life stlyes.

about the program can you have an ounce of seeds if you can't eat nuts?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #14  
Healthy Living

domino, yes, I believe that you can have an ounce of seeds instead of nuts. I admire anyone with the courage to stand up for their convictions. As far as I'm concerned, I'm rather Scarlett O'Hara self-centered and shallow so I try not to think about things too deeply. I do have fond memories of going out on my friend's grandparents farm. I remember the milk there tasted quite different than store-bought. And those eggs didn't look like the ones in the store either! They didn't even have running water, just a well & an outhouse! It was always a grand adventure going there. The cruelty on their farm was part of their own survival whereas industry is about profit.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #15  
Healthy Living

Junia, thanks for mentioning the nuts. I did eat some almonds today which is helping me reach 1200 cal. Here's my daily plan within the E2L plan:

Breakfast: 4 servings of fruit
Lunch&Dinner: salad or soup and 1 cup edamame

I know he said no snacks but if I'm hungry between meals, I'll eat almonds. It's hard for me to reach that goal of 1# cooked green vegetables and 1# raw vegetables. Amazing to say I can't eat all the food a diet recommends!
Closed Thread