Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggbdomino
The person was very respectful of my views(which are ethical as well as health issuses) I just don't get why people get testy aboutme not eating meat. on both sides I have know militant vegans and Militant meat eaters. I think we should live and let live. I all so think that when the opertunity presents it's self we should inform people about our life stlyes.

about the program can you have an ounce of seeds if you can't eat nuts?

Yes, seeds are interchangeable with nuts on this plan.

And I'm glad the person was respectful of you. I've just had one too many people on my back lately about not eating meat/cheese/whatever, and I was feeling kinda ranty. I'm pretty much in the "live and let live" category... I've had so many people judge me for what I (don't) eat that I tend to err on the side of being overcautious. Give me awhile on this plan, though, and maybe I'll be ready to pick up my badge for the Vegan Police. lol
Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSarah
Junia, thanks for mentioning the nuts. I did eat some almonds today which is helping me reach 1200 cal. Here's my daily plan within the E2L plan:

Breakfast: 4 servings of fruit
Lunch&Dinner: salad or soup and 1 cup edamame

I know he said no snacks but if I'm hungry between meals, I'll eat almonds. It's hard for me to reach that goal of 1# cooked green vegetables and 1# raw vegetables. Amazing to say I can't eat all the food a diet recommends!

Wow, all that fruit at once! Dang! I spread mine out (to keep my sweet tooth happy). I actually "cheat" and make them snack foods -- I figure I'm going to eat them anyway, and it helps me stick with the rest of the plan. And I don't have nearly a pound of cooked vegetables in a day, because I prefer to eat my veggies raw (I think they taste better that way).

Oh, and one other thing that could help you get the calories up if you need to: Whole grains. Don't forget you can have one serving a day, so you could add some brown rice to your soup or something. I use a multi-grain tortilla to make a veggie wrap for lunch.

I got this great salad mix -- organic blend of baby lettuces and stuff -- yummers! I'm actually starting to really LIKE rabbit food!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 257/241/140

I understnd what your saying about people Tripin on what you eat. I belong to a TOPS(Take off pounds sensably) group and bless there harts they just don't get it. Which is fine in July I'm doing a program on being a vegetarain. Another person who is haveing trouble with it is my mom. For Example today she had me try her potato salad and it had baccon in it. I didn't know it had baccon until it was in my mouth. Now I could have pitched a fit and spit it out but I didn't(pitch the fit) I did spit it out when she was not looking. the thing is i chose not to say anything to her because I was afraid it would hurt her feelings. so I guess I pick and chose my battles and to me reasureing a 75 year old was more important to me then haveing a bit of Babe in my mouth. Ok I'm getting off my soap box now

I had a little slip up I had some yams for dinner but man where they good they remind me of my dad.

I hope everyone is well
G
Old 05-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 74.6/67.5/56 or 165/149/124

Height: 5'5 1/2

Hi guys,
I'm actually at home with my family, so I can't follow this plan before Saturday. But I am eating lots and lots of salad and a bit of pulses and tofu.
I'll be updating you soon.
Good luck to all!
San
Old 05-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #20  

I lost five more pounds!!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #21  
Healthy Living

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

5 pounds! Way to go Junia! By the Way, thank you soooo much for inspiring us to start this diet! I am loving it! I'm still obsessing about dressings but that will change. San, I wondered where you were! I will be off the diet this weekend as I plan on drinking alcohol but I'll get back on the wagon when I return. Probably won't be able to post much after this weekend as DH will have the laptop with him for a couple of weeks. Has anyone heard from ArticAngel?

p.s., what are pulses???
Old 05-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #22  

Pulses = Legumes.

I'm glad this is working for y'all!

Re: dressings -- you're in the U.S., right? Well, see if you can find Maple Farms of Vermont fat-free dressings -- some of them are very low-cal. My favorites are honey dijon and raspberry vinagrette (that one I can find at Wal-Mart), which are 35 calories for 2 Tbs. But the one I'm going to try to use most often, and is also good, is their fat-free balsamic vinagrette, which has only 5 calories!!

Also, another thing that I do is buy the broccoli slaw -- you know, the pre-bagged, pre-shredded stuff with broccoli, carrots, cabbage, and sometimes cauliflower? I get that and some garlicky hummus, mix it up, and have a yummy high-protein salad.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #23  
Healthy Living

I think I saw Maple Farms when I went to the store Monday. I plan on looking over the selection if I ever get the privilege of going without my darling sons. They are not fun to shop with if I actually have to read a label. When they go with me, I speed down the aisles, grabbing anything that looks familiar off the shelves and hope they don't see the candy, cereal, or toy aisles! I have a bag of Broccoli slaw in my fridge right now! I plan on making Tabouli today but was concerned about the oil. I may make it without oil or I may use flaxseed oil instead of olive.

P.s.- I love hummus too but trying not to get any because I usually eat the whole thing at one sitting. Of course, that's one way to up my calories!
Old 05-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 257/241/140

Hay ladies wow five pounds Junia thats wonderful.

Sarah did you check out www.fatfreevegan.com it has a bunch of recipes for dressings.

Welcome to all the of the other people how are joining us.

As for me I down 2.5 this week and was the best looser I feel really good.

hope everyone is haveing a good day. Today is my weekly egg breakfast but right after it was back on track for me.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #25  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Hi everyone! I feel like a bit of an impostor here since I’m not really doing the plan but I am so enjoying your thread. It’s nice to find some like-minded people, you know?

Junia – 5 more lbs, that's fantastic!

gggbdomino – I really disliked that my family was so resistant to my vegetarianism when I first started. 12 years later and they tolerate it, but I wouldn’t say they “get it” by any stretch. My grandma still tries to offer me something with meat in it just about every time I visit. When I remind her about me not eating meat she acts like she is shocked I am not out of that “phase”. 12 years is a long time to be having a “phase”! Then she usually follows that up with “it’s just a little bit”, or “you can pick it out”, and my favorite “there’s no meat in gravy”. God love her, but I guess after a lifetime of farming not eating animals is just too foreign a concept. She had a stroke a couple of months ago and my family tells me she is recovering OK, but I’m afraid she won’t be doing any more cooking or offering me any more meat. Strangely enough I think I will miss that a bit, it was kind of “our thing”.

I wanted to share a recipe that I though might be suitable for you all, I made it for dinner last night and it was sooooo good! I just had leftovers for lunch. It’s an Indian dish called chana masala: http://vegancore.blogspot.com/2006/0...na-masala.html

What’s the deal with soy products (like soy milk, cultured soy “yogurt”, etc.) on your plan? Is that permissible? I use them as an easy way to get some more protein and most are fortified with vitamins A & D just like their dairy counterparts.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #26  

Shananigans: Thanks for the recipe -- I love Indian food, so that could be a great one to try. For the first six weeks of E2L, the olive oil would be a no-no, but after six weeks you can add a little back in. As for soy yogurts and stuff -- I think it would depend on the ingredients. If it had added sugar or sodium, that would be a problem (again, it's the first six weeks that are the most strict). I don't live in a place where these things are easy to find, so they're not part of my diet -- I just stick with the whole foods pretty much in their natural state, with the exception of tofu and the occasional Amy's bean burrito.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #27  
Healthy Living

Default All Are Welcome!

Shananigans, you are more than welcome here, even more so if you give us yummy recipes! In fact, Junia and I discussed doing our own individual plans but just hanging together for the support so we need all the cheers and support you can give! I wasn't on a "diet" until I started this so I'm glad for everyone's input. Aren't you doing a body for life plan? Seems like I remember something about that. How's it going?

Domino, I went surfing on fatfreevegan when you mentioned it before. Lots of recipes! Thanks for the recommendation!

I have a new cookbook The Best Light Recipe by the editors of Cooks Illustrated. It has some dressings that use less oil. Plus it has a recipe for hummus so maybe I'll eat that again soon! Let me know if anyone wants any recipes.

Has anyone heard the term pesca-vegan (vegan who eats fish)? I read it in an older nutrition book I checked out.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #28