Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #1  

Question Would like to be a vegetarian

HI . I'm trying to lose some weight, and currently am following a plan discussed over in the calorie counters thread, "Calorie Queens". It 's basically just counting calories; altho the "hook" is that you figure out calories to maintain your goal weight; and then eat at that number for, basically, the rest of your life. So, you lose weight more slowly than with other programs; but you are developing habits for the rest of your life, from day 1.

Anyway, I would really like to NOT eat meat; but I just find is so much easier from a weight loss point of view to eat meat. I have eaten largely vegetarian for the last 5 - 10 years, and have gained a lot of weight. I am also hitting menopause; so that may be part of it.

Anyway; just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, ideas about this. I feel really guilty about eating meat BUT I find it difficult to prepare meals that are low calorie, vegetarian and satisfying. I have a really hard time with portion control with pasta, rice, etc. Plus, I have a really hard time brown bagging. Oh yes, I am allergic to soy; which adds to the difficulty.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hi and welcome!

Part of the problem with a vegetarian diet is that pasta, rice, potatoes and cheese seem to be the staple of most recipes out there.

Not sure what your choices are if you are allergic to soy but there are some recipes here in the veggie forum you may want to check out. There is a thread called "cooking for 1 or 2" that might be helpful. Here is the link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44715

There are some there that don't have tofu like the Balkan Stew and Basque Salad.

Also have you tried TVP (textured vegetable protein) it comes in the form of crumbles - kind of looks like ground beef but dried. My mum uses this to make chilis and curries for my dad.

I will try to find some more info and will get back to you as soon as I can.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #3  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvaisroux
Part of the problem with a vegetarian diet is that pasta, rice, potatoes and cheese seem to be the staple of most recipes out there.

Also have you tried TVP (textured vegetable protein) it comes in the form of crumbles - kind of looks like ground beef but dried. My mum uses this to make chilis and curries for my dad.
I agree what you say about a vegetarian diet! Where are the vegetables I avoid the above mentioned foods and focus on green leafy veggies, cruciferous veggies, beans and lentils above all else!

Unfortunately, TVP is made with soy

Try to eat seitan (wheat gluten), hemp protein powder, lentils, beans, vegetables of all kinds, fruits and some seeds, nuts and whole grains and you'll do well.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #4  

Thanks for you responses. I lurk in the Alternachicks part of the Forum a lot; but this is the first time I've posted. You folks seem very

mauvaisroux - You are so right....I did go back and check the recipes on this great site; and it will give me some ideas.

Also, earlier tonight I got out a WW cookbook that I bought several years ago: Versatile Vegetarian. It's pretty basic; which is what I'm looking for. I read (and buy) a lot of cookbooks; and I find a lot of the vegetarian ones are too complicated. So I'm going to try to make a least one recipe out of it this week.

Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

You're welcome

Here are some more recipes http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46
Old 01-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #6  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Yes, all this advice is great!

Try making dishes with whole grains. Those will add protein to your diet, and fill you up.

It's true that meat can be a nice chunk of a meal... meat, potatoes, vegetables... the traditional dinner. In the beginning, maybe you should find something that can be that "chunk." There are veggie burgers that are made of black beans, rather than soy. And there are also veggie patties, basically vegetables ground up and stuck together. Both of those products might help you transition.
Closed Thread