Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #1  

Default Hello there, I am new

Hi, my name is Erin, and I'm new to the boards. I want to incorporate more vegetarian meals into my diet, if not go all the way and become a vegetarian. I'm looking for advise on how to serve soy to my bf so that he will eat it too!

~Erin
Old 01-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #2  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Fry the heck out of it so that it has plenty of taste and texture! Buy extra firm tofu, press all the water out of it, and then put it in a dish that has lots of flavorful sauce. Then, the tofu will taste like a textured ingredient rather than a slab of flavorless substance.

When you first start using soymilk, use it in conjunction with other things. Serve it with cookies, add chocolate sauce, use it in baking.

Some meat-alternatives, like Boca burgers and Morningstar Farm chicken patties, taste good to non-vegetarians. Don't eat them by themselves, at least not to begin with, because they will taste "weird." But if you make an entire sandwich out of them, with cheese and sauce and pickles and whatever else, then the meat-alternatives taste like any other new kind of sandwich.

You don't have to mention that soy is an ingredient... For example, you could use soy "crumbles" in chili, and odds are that your BF won't even know it's not beef.

Finally, you don't have to have soy at every meal. You can get protein from other sources, like legumes, nuts, whole grains, leafy green veggies. So, you can make meatless meals without necessarily using soy.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #3  

Thanks! I already drink Soy milk, as dairy and I have...well...issues. I am going to try and cook tofu this weekend
Old 01-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I've made lasagne and stuffed shells with smashed tofu mixed with ricotta cheese, parmesean, spinach and herbs as the filling. My dh didn't even have a CLUE the cheesey filling was about 75% tofu.

Try dicing firm, pressed tofu into very small cubes and toss it in with a pasta salad that's loaded with veggies. The tofu will look like diced cheese and will absorb the flavor of the dressing.

Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #5  

If you can get quorn get the mince I've made my friends spaghetti and chilli before now and they haven't realised its veggie until I've told them.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #6  

I had quorn chicken nuggets last night. They were wicked tasty! Even the Dh liked me!
Closed Thread