Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #1  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Default ideas on how to reduce cheese intake

My intake of animal byproducts has slowly gone down, to the point where my kitchen is vegan (I eat veggie in restaurants), EXCEPT for cheese. I'm not aiming for vegan, but like a lot of veggies, I am aiming for fewer animal byproducts. And like a lot of veggies, I'm trying to cut down on cheese, in particular.

On vegan websites, I read posts by a lot of veggies who are trying to go vegan but can't ditch cheese. That problem seems to be common. So I know I'm not alone.

Anyway... anyone able to help a lady with a cheese addiction? Recipes, ethical arguments, methods to change habits, even gross-out motivation...

Thanks to anyone who can reply!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:16 AM   #2  

Ugh, you and me both, sister-friend. I got fat off cheese pizza. I don't think I want to ditch it completely, but I'd like to eat way, way less of it.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Haunted Cheese

I LOVE cheese. I could eat a whole block of it in one sitting. I simply don't buy it. It's a luxury in this house. Find recipes you really like that don't call for cheese. Do a new search for new ideas. Freshness keeps us from going back to our old haunts.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #4  

Grate it. It goes alot further then you get to eat less. Also don't buy your favourite brand then you want it less. In cooking you can get away with using the non dairy cheese substitutes I use that in pasta and healthy pizzas and that kind of thing. Just use cheese in sandwiches and grate it so I don't eat so much.

You can also cut down on milk by buying soya. I can get by with soya on everything except for tea. It curdles in tea and goes disgusting but I buy a small pint of organic milk for that so I don't feel so bad.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

They make some pretty decent tasting soy and rice milk cheeses. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods market carries them.
Good luck,
sarah
Old 01-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #6  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
They make some pretty decent tasting soy and rice milk cheeses. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods market carries them.
Good luck,
sarah

There are several out there that still have animal products in them so you need to read the lables; I haven't seen a vegan one at Trader Joe's around here but I wish they'd carry one!

Tofutti makes vegan cheese slices but they have hydrogenated oil, so I won't eat it. Tofutti does make a good vegan sour cream and a vegan cream cheese that is great; there is a non-hydrogenated and a hydrogenated version of each.

Of the non-hydrogenated vegan cheeses, "Vegan Gourmet" and "Veganrella" are the only ones that aren't repulsive, IMO (I've tried all of the vegan ones available in the USA) and the "Vegan" (it says that in big letters on the label) parmesean substitute by Soymage (the other cheese made by Soymage are like stinky plastic, IMO and my dog wouldn't even eat it!).
Old 01-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #7  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Ah, the power of cheese…lol. Seriously, if it weren’t for cheese I’d say I’m ready to go vegan right now. Oh, and eggs are a hidden ingredient in lots of processed foods, I’m still more dependant on that stuff than I’d like to be. I’m using more soymilk than real milk these days and have given up yogurt because the kind I like is so high in sugar, but cheese and I have a life-long love affair! Why does it have to taste so freakin’ good?! Does anyone have any specific brand recommendations for cheese substitutes to try? I hate buying a new product and finding out I can’t stand the taste of it.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #8  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogini
Of the non-hydrogenated vegan cheeses, "Vegan Gourmet" and "Veganrella" are the only ones that aren't repulsive, IMO (I've tried all of the vegan ones available in the USA) and the "Vegan" (it says that in big letters on the label) parmesean substitute by Soymage (the other cheese made by Soymage are like stinky plastic, IMO and my dog wouldn't even eat it!).
I see you beat me to posting Yogini! Thanks for the suggestions. Do you happen to know if Whole Foods carries "Vegan Gourmet" and "Veganrella"?
Old 01-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #9  
Opulent

Every Whole Foods I have been to (in several states) carry both those. IMO, The Vegan Gourmet is the best of the 2 brands...it comes in a Nacho flavor that is really good for nachos, tacos and burritos!

The Mozzarella makes the BEST vegan lasagna ever. It also comes in Cheddar and Monterey Jack varieties; all of the varieties are best added in to other foods (mac and cheese etc.) and don't taste the greatest on thier own, at least if you are used to eating animal products.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #10  
Xer
What a dork.

I have the same problem. Haha. But this is me being a Wisconsinite.

I cant say I've enjoyed any of the vegan cheeses I have tried.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

I've been lacto ovo for 16 years and really enjoy cheese and other dairy products. I only purchase organic dairy, usually from Whole Foods, and only purchase organic cheese made without calf rennet. To me, rennet is the gross out factor of cheese. If I can buy organic cheese made with non-animal rennet, I'm completely ethically comfortable with eating the cheese. Personally, I don't like soy cheese and LOVE real cheese!

Also, I buy eggs from a local farmer who takes very good care of his chickens. I am able to enjoy eating tasty eggs and support a local farmer who is practicing ethical farming and TRUE animal husbandry. Americans are never going to give up meat and dairy, so the more we can support the little guys who are doing it right, the better chance we have of gradually chipping away at the scary, awful, and tragic factory farming industry.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #12  
I like jewelry.

Xer -- I grew up in Wisconsin. Sometimes my friends and family from home think I'm insulting them by not eating cheese...

Hm, I've used fake cheese. To me, the fake cheeses are waxy and oily. (With the exception of veggie parm, but that has whey in it. ) But I haven't tried veganella.

Back in Minnesota, I was doing great with eliminating more animal products, but the small Hawaiian town that I live in now doesn't have a lot of my old staples, like soy margarine and Egg Replacer. I might end up going to a new grocery store.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #13  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJ333

Back in Minnesota, I was doing great with eliminating more animal products, but the small Hawaiian town that I live in now doesn't have a lot of my old staples, like soy margarine and Egg Replacer. I might end up going to a new grocery store.
Nothing is quite like Ener-g egg replacer, is it? Here are some other options:

General baking: 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder

1 banana or 1/4 cup apple sauce plus 1/3 tsp baking powder for each egg called for in a sweet, baked recipe

1/4 cup plum puree plus 1/3 tsp baking powder plus 1/2 tsp vinegar

1 egg:1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed in 3 tbsp water (let sit for a few minutes)

Tofu (Silken works really well): To substitute for one egg in a recipe, mash 1/4 cup tofu and add (works well for "Quiche")
Old 01-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #14