Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #16  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Great topic! I' m new here but would like to join in...

What drove you to go vegetarian? or vegan?
I grew up with a meat eating family (meat was the main dish every night and we had to clean our plates, etc. etc. We were very poor, but always had meat of some sort, and even raised chickens and ducks to eat). About 2 years ago, I was looking into eating healthier and read up about being vegetarian. It never really occurred to me before that I didn't "have" to eat meat. Once I realized everything involved, how the animals were treated, etc. it totally repulsed me, so I quit eating meat.

At what age did you do it?
I was 38 years old

How many years did it last? If you stopped, why?
I'm still a vegetarian and plan on eating this way for life. It was a lifestyle change, not a diet

Has your health improved (or worsened) since you changed?
Definitely improved. I had high cholesterol before, now it is normal. Also, I felt bloated all the time, even in pictures, you can see a huge difference. And, I lost about 12 pounds the first year I quit eating meat.

Have you lost or gained weight?
Lost weight. See above.

How does your family react?
Some really don't care. One sister won't leave me alone about it (I have 5 sisters). Some really don't understand, but don't hassle me about it. My husband, who is a meat eater, is very supportive of my way of eating. And, I will cook it for him, but both my almost 12 year old son and I are vegetarian and eat Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc. as meat substitutes. For instance, I will make spaghetti and sauce with meat for him, and a small pan of sauce with boca crumbles for us. No biggie.

And lastly
What is your top ultimate FAVORITE vegetarian/vegan food?

I guess for now, the boca burgers and crumbles. The crumbles are very versatile - chili, spaghetti sauce, etc. Makes cooking easy!
Old 09-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #17  

Animal welfare and the absolutely horrible conditions animals are raised in and treated -- as well as all the "stuff" that is in your meat like hormones, pesticides, tumors poop, etc...

I was about 18 years old.

I am still going strong, over 10 years! (I am 28)

I can't really say because when you are 18 you are pretty "healthy" usually, even if you are overweight know what I mean? I definately feel better inside though...

lost, gained, lost, gained, lost lol... I don't think a vegetarian diet has to do with it really... when you eat 5 servings of pasta, does it matter if there are meatballs? LOL

They are very supportive... my husband is a strict vegetarian too, I refer to us as "struggling vegans" because we eat mostly vegan but slip up occasionally... my mom thought it was a phase for a couple of years but now that it has been over 10 years, she finally "gets it" and is good about it!

And lastly

Everything... why do you think I have over 100lbs to lose? Just kidding! I love asian and indian food which is easy to find a lot of vegan meals in those restaurants!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:29 AM   #18  

Default :d

Initially it was because I stopped liking meat. I moved out of home and to the other side of the world and because meat wasn't being made for me (by my mum ) I simply didn't want it. I'm a huge animal lover and the thought of eating an animals dead flesh totally grosses me out now! I saw this documentary on a Slaughterhouse and that was just more fuel to the fire.

19! Which is how old I am now- I didn't start too long ago!! I've only been a vegetarian for about four months!! And it already feels like a lifetime - I can't believe I ever ate meat actually!! I've eaten fish a couple of times since but after a dream with fish heads and live fish in a bowl of brine which I tasted I decided I wouldn't go back there, I felt like being sick when I woke up!!

Hehe, well all of four months and have not stopped!!

Do you ever miss meat?
Not at all! ALL the best foods are vegetarian!!

Definately think my health has improved!! The great thing about being a veggie is you can eat more frequently and more bulk. I do have a real sweet tooth though and find it hard to stay away from chocolate and desserts (do all vegetarians have this uncontrollable sweet tooth??). But mostly eat a whole lot of veggies - lots of Chinese and Thai food! Have also replaced normal milk with Soy milk.

Lost weight. It has coincided with wanting to lose weight and trying to eat more healthily - I think that being a veggie is not an excuse to eat more potato chips and pastries and cheese. I have had to resist these VERY hard ESPECIALLY cheese as I am a HUGE cheese fan!! But even so, almost every day I give in to a strawberry trifle or chocolate bar....mmmmm...chocolate....

My family think it's great. My sister decided to become a vegetarian (again) after I took it up (although she still eats fish)
Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #19  
*squish*squish*

S/C/G: 276/ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I was eating a chicken sandwich from Wendy's and I bit into a vein. It was the first time I ever really realized that what I was eating had been alive at one time. After that, I couldn't stand to eat hamburgers or chicken. I was still eating steaks and bacon(the hardest thing for me to give up), but when I started doing research on vegetarianism I found out about all of the horrible things that go on in factory farms. Being an animal lover, I knew it was wrong, so I stopped eating all meat.

11 or 12

How many years did it last?
I've been a vegetarian for around 6 years now.

Do you ever miss meat?
I've missed bacon a few times. It was the last thing I gave up and the only thing that makes me want to abandon my belief system. I would be lynig if I said I hadn't given in and eaten in one or two times since I became a vegetarian. However, after I ate it, I got so nauseous and ill and disgusted with myself I vowed to never do it again. I have no desire to eat any kind of animal ever again.

Honestly, it worsened, but that's only because I started at such a young age and didn't know what I was doing. I've had a lot of hair loss from the lack of protein. That's what made me realize I was doing something wrong. Now I make sure I eat a healthy diet and I eat protein bars and take vitamins to make sure that I'm getting all the right nutients. So now I'm healthier because of it, but at first my health worsened. I've just recently(in the past year) became healthier because of it.

Gained. Like I said, I started at a young age and didn't know what I was doing. And, because my mom was in college, I grew up on fast food junk food. Sometimes I ate fast food twice a day. That means I ate a whole lot of french fries and snack cakes. Not any more

My family always gave me such a hard time about it. They called me stupid and all that. It was really hard for me because I was so young and they were the only family I had. (My dad died when I was 5 and I haven't seen his family since then.) I finally just stopped getting around them. I stopped going to holiday events, like Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas Eve parties. It wasn't the only thing they gave me a hard time about though. I've always had my own beliefs and a sense of what's right and wrong. They never liked that much, so they gave me a hard time about everything. Anyways, after not getting around them for a couple years, they learned that if they act like that toward me, then I'm gone. They don't do it anymore because they know I won't put up with it. And I think they've just come to terms with the fact that I am who I am and they can't do anything to change it.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #20  

What drove you to go vegetarian? or vegan? A huge love of animals.
At what age did you do it? 16
I am 27 now so 11 years. no stopping.
Do you ever miss meat? no.
I feel it has improved in a way only now that i am eating enough protein though. in my younger days i lived on carbs, bread, pasta, slurpees, just terrible junk.
Have you lost or gained weight? YES as a result of the above previous eating habits (combined with quitting smoking and anti-depressant's)
How does your family react? my brothers have made fun of me the whole time which is stupid so i dont care. my mom is basically a veg except will eat fish. my dad is irish and doesnt understand but is supportive and my fiance is a huge carnivore. But i still stick to my guns.
any kind of pizza, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, tofu stirfrys, fruit shakes..
Old 10-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #21  

Default What drove you to go vegetarian? Vegan?

What drove you to go vegan?
Health and ethical reasons.

This time, 3 years ago at 37. I had tried a couple of times in the past, but I ended up going back. I think reading more and getting a more well-rounded picture has helped me to commit myself.

I have been strict vegetarian for 3 years, and then 3 months ago I went vegan. I won't be going back this time.

Do you ever miss meat?
No, because there are so many negatives to it. I have found lots of things that I like better, that are better for me and better for the environment...and the animals.

When I went vegetarian, I didn't feel much of a change and I think that's because of all the dairy and bad carbs I was eating. In the last 3 months as a vegan, I feel healthier. I am waiting on the results of my latest check-up...and I hope to see good cholesterol numbers.

As a vegetarian, I did end up gaining about 35 pounds, which I attribute to the dairy. Originally, I decided to go vegan because I thought that cutting out the dairy and eggs would help with my weight...and stop me from being a cheesatarian. My views have more fully evolved and in these first 3 months of going vegan, and I have also dropped about 10 pounds.

They seemed okay with the veggie thing...but the veganism is sometimes hard with them. It's the usual comments... about whether you are getting all the nutrients you need, is it good to eat so much soy and tofu...on and on. One day I realized, the comments don't matter because it's my life and my body. If they can choose how and what they want to eat...then so can I.

And lastly
These days, it's a recipe for a killer chocolate tofu mousse! It's awesome and so easy to make. Even non-vegetarians like it!
Old 10-27-2005, 03:45 AM   #22  

What drove you to go vegetarian? or vegan? I did not like the tate or smell of meat but the parents would have had a 'cow' if I had wanted to stop eating meat as a child.
At what age did you do it? When I left home, 21.
How many years did it last? If you stopped, why? Still going at 45!
Do you ever miss meat? No!
Has your health improved (or worsened) since you changed? Not sure. Obviously I am overweight or wouldn't be writing on this board. I had too much cheese and sweets in my diet!
Have you lost or gained weight? On and off
How does your family react? Mum was worried at first but accepts it now- although when visiting I have to watch her like a hawk in the kitchen so that she does not prod my veggie meal with the same knife or fork she has plunged in the meat!

And lastly
What is your top ultimate FAVORITE vegetarian/vegan food? Thai! The delicateness of Chinese (which I don't like much) with the balls of Indian!!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #23  
hinky dink hopeful

S/C/G: 233/160/160

Height: 5'10"

I love animals. When I was 14 I lived on a farm for a while, and having animals I helped care for (and loved) end up on the dinner table was completely horrifying to me. For years after that I could only eat meat if it was disguised - ground up, shredded, buried in pasta, etc. Eventually I reached a point where I couldn't fool myself any longer and just gave up meat altogether.

I'm 42 now. It's been 19 years.

Do you ever miss meat?
Never. The thought of it grosses me out. For years I couldn't even eat soyburgers or anything that even resembled meat.

I've always been very healthy.

I've lost weight, I've gained weight, and I've lost weight again. None of it had anything to do with not eating meat though.

They've always found me a little odd, but they've never given me a hard time about it. And they always make sure there's something I can eat at family functions.

And lastly

I love food too much to pick a favorite. But I love ethnic foods... Indian, Thai, Middle Eastern. Yum.
Closed Thread